Author Topic: The Shining  (Read 1681 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
The Shining
« on: January 01, 2023, 08:32:37 PM »

I am a big fan of all things Shining, one of my top 10 movies.  So I was thrilled to see Taschen tackle the title back in early December and bought a copy immediately.  I won't get it until February, apparently, but I'm so excited.

Taschen

I also discovered this nice recent slideshow with a bunch of pictures I have never seen before.  For the Shining fan of course.

And a few little things from my collection because, well because it is a poster forum after all.

T
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 08:34:40 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
The Shining
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 12:13:34 PM »
I went to the book launch in London - which preceded a screening of The Shining -  just before Christmas. Lee Unkrich was so enthusiastic and passionate. It seems a lot of the (never before seen) photos were taken by the parents of "the twins" who were allowed to freely walk around the set. The book(s) themselves were the usual high quality Taschen - although I don't know how much long term pleasure I would derive from owning a box of sheets of paper with the "...makes Jack a dull boy" wording. At GBP 1500 it's out of my league anyway.

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: The Shining
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 01:49:10 PM »
I'll let you know when I get it :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 07:09:41 PM »
After a two months delay (it was scheduled for February), I finally got my Shining book, and I must say it was well worth the wait.  It weights a ton too. 

A definite must for The Shining fan.

A scrapbook...  I put my first edition copy of The Shining next to it for size comparison.

Jack's book...

The annotated screenplay...

An entire book on the making of The Shining poster by Saul Bass...

The storyboards...

And a bible with everything you ever wanted to know about The Shining...

Good stuff.

T
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 07:11:50 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 12:59:04 PM »
That looks a beautiful set...I love what Taschen do. Very cool indeed, particularly the book on Bass's design for the poster! That first edition is pretty great too. Thanks for sharing.

Out of interest, did you like Dr Sleep?

It's also one of my favourite films, so to contribute to the thread, here are some Shining related snaps from the Kubrick Exhibition I went to a few years ago

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 02:07:35 PM »
That is awesome...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 02:54:44 PM »
Very cool stuff, the book and exhibit.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 12:54:46 AM »
T: What a great looking book on The Shining. I didn't realize they built an Overlook facade.  I thought they filmed the hotel
exteriors all in Colorado.

Tob: Where was the exhibit?

Best, Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 11:12:40 AM »
Yes, Kubrick was scared of flying.  The entire facade of the hotel was rebuilt at Elstree. 

I went skiing with my kids at Mt Hood a couple months ago and stayed at Timberline Lodge.  I even bought a plastic axe and ran after my son in the parking lot (his idea hahaha).

T
My Personal Collection

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 04:25:59 PM »
That’s pretty cool T. Especially the plastic axe lol..

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 06:43:00 PM »
The last 3 pics at night are amazing, straight out of the movie!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2023, 04:05:38 PM »
Yes, those photos are terrific! So atmospheric. The axe is a nice touch

Tob: Where was the exhibit?

Hi Okie, it was at The Design Museum in London. I think the exhibition tours around the world though (it’s called Stanley Kubrick: The Exhibition). Highly recommended if it comes to a place near you.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2023, 05:31:11 PM »

Yes, it was a lot of fun trying to re-enact this.  Thank God the inside doesn't look anything like the Overlook.  My 9 year old son kept trying to break the bathroom door though, screaming "Little pigs, little pigs..."  I'm sure our neighbors loved it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 08:18:03 PM »
Yes, those photos are terrific! So atmospheric. The axe is a nice touch

Hi Okie, it was at The Design Museum in London. I think the exhibition tours around the world though (it’s called Stanley Kubrick: The Exhibition). Highly recommended if it comes to a place near you.

Thank you, Tob. I'll keep an eye out for it here. Looks like it was just in Istanbul. Okie
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 08:36:53 PM by okiehawker »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2023, 08:18:59 PM »

I agree, Antoine.  Very spooky and coooooollllllddddd..... 

Okie