Author Topic: A New Place  (Read 3609 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: A New Place
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2023, 12:43:57 AM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your kind words, especially on the photography.  That part is a real stretch for me, putting it out there.

I started posting just the posters but could not help myself to add comments to some, and then ended up adding to most of them lol.  And it was quite a journey researching some of them for the comments.  I learned a lot!

Double sided is ALWAUS the way to go, for me personally.  And, without doubt there are some posters which are just more rare as DS versions a la Donnie Darko, Lost in Translation and so many others.  And, I have four light boxes up and running in the store - one each for bus shelters, onesheets, Japanese B1s and quads.  There is nothing better than seeing them lit up like that.  DS onesheets were and remain my first love.

That’s just me though.  It’s a great question and I’m curious what others think.

Happy new year everyone!

Holiday

What an interesting update Holiday. You'll never be bored in your retirement, that's for sure. I have to say your photographs are fantastic.

It's great that you add personal notes about your posters too. One thing I'm prompted to ask is how relevant do you think the distinction between single-sided and double-sided posters is today? Back in the day we placed great weight on seeking out the rarer double-sided versions for a particular title - Donnie Darko, Shawshank Redemption, Goodfellas etc - and I'm curious whether that is still important to collectors. It is to me.

Mark
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2023, 02:20:03 PM »
It’s a great question and I’m curious what others think.

DS, of course.

Great question, and one that I'd like to expend, even though it is the wrong thread.  I personally have a very clear set of rules when it comes to US stuff.

1) Some wear on posters pre 1980
2) Extremely minimal wear on posters post 1980
3) No wear at all on posters post 1990 (mint posters exist for every title so there is absolutely no reasons to purchase anything less than mint)
4) No folded posters post 1984
5) No single sided poster post 1990 (except for a few rare titles that do not exist DS, some independents of course)  1988's Biloxi Blues was the first DS poster.
6) No pinholes on lobby cards ever, older or newer.  I’m so glad Bruce makes a clear distinction, that helps a lot.  I never buy lobby cards in good/very good condition.
7) Only complete sets of lobbies.  Most titles are impossible to find as sets when it comes to older ones, but I did manage to get mint sets for more recent titles like Vertigo, Rope, Laura, Notorious...

That's it, I think.

Are there pictures of the inside of the gallery, Holiday?  I'd love to c your setup.

T
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:22:01 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2023, 12:28:04 AM »
I like Thierry’s list a lot.  Everyone finds their bounds outside of which they won’t buy.  It’s a great day to make it manageable otherwise you’re like a dervish grabbing it all. 

I’ll be at the store this weekend and I’ll post some pics.  Gonna put up some reels on IG too and when I get there I’ll love the support in getting social up and running :)
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2023, 12:18:42 PM »
Good list, Thierry.

I am curious why you hate pinholes so much on lobby cards. That always seemed like the flaw of least concern to me, especially when considering paper earlier than 1950. I like the "theater used" aspect, without it messing with the aesthetics of the card at all.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2023, 09:08:51 AM »
Congrats Holiday, mad respect for anyone that tries to operate a brick -n- mortar of any kind anymore, though I like the aspect of it doubling as a law office, would certainly be curious to know what clients think when they come in.

Steve Kronenberg was the attorney that first gave me inspiration that my office could contain more than frames of diplomas, bar admissions, and verdicts (and he was another fellow South Florida guy). Walking into his office and seeing the beautiful French King Kong, War of the Worlds half sheet, Bride of Frankenstein, and so many others totally inspired me to redo all of my walls.

Definitely going to try and make a trip to see your place next time I am in town.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2023, 02:45:19 PM »
Good list, Thierry.

I am curious why you hate pinholes so much on lobby cards. That always seemed like the flaw of least concern to me, especially when considering paper earlier than 1950. I like the "theater used" aspect, without it messing with the aesthetics of the card at all.

I'd say it's just a matter of preference.  I do not care if a poster has been used or not, they all come from the same place so it makes no difference to me.  Pinholes really bother me, on posters and especially on lobbies, because they are much smaller.  I like everything in mint condition.  Like I said, a matter of preference.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2023, 02:57:49 PM »
I had a phone conversation with Theirry, probably 7 years ago or so, when I asked, "Thierry, how do you know if you're a hoarder?"  He said something like "If you're tripping over them" and then bragged how organized his stuff is (and let me tell you, I've seen it and it is - the guy can put his hands on any poster in his collection in less than 60 seconds, I believe lol).  When he said that, I knew in my bones he was spot on, and I knew that I was a hoarder (collecting, after all, is a glorified term for hoarder I've discovered, at least for me lol). 

Yes, I remember this conversation well, although I thought we had it while hiking the Hollywood hills. 

It is extremely important to me that my hobby does not invade my personal space.  At least out of respect for my wife and kids who could not care less about it.  Like I said multiple times before, I have 2 posters hanging at my house, I rotate them once or twice a year, and any visitor would be hard pressed to know that I collect paper.  I like it that way.  Many of my longtime friends do not know I collect because I do not talk about it.  I do not talk about it on social media either, I never post my collection anywhere, except on this forum because that's what this place is for.  It is a hobby, it is my hobby anf I like to keep it under wraps.  To each his own I guess.  Obviously, organization is what it's all about.  A poster comes in and it is filled immediately.  Out of sight, out of mind.  I have my website to see that it exists.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2023, 07:02:05 PM »
Yes, I remember this conversation well, although I thought we had it while hiking the Hollywood hills. 

It is extremely important to me that my hobby does not invade my personal space.  At least out of respect for my wife and kids who could not care less about it.  Like I said multiple times before, I have 2 posters hanging at my house, I rotate them once or twice a year, and any visitor would be hard pressed to know that I collect paper.  I like it that way.  Many of my longtime friends do not know I collect because I do not talk about it.  I do not talk about it on social media either, I never post my collection anywhere, except on this forum because that's what this place is for.  It is a hobby, it is my hobby anf I like to keep it under wraps.  To each his own I guess.  Obviously, organization is what it's all about.  A poster comes in and it is filled immediately.  Out of sight, out of mind.  I have my website to see that it exists.

T
That's a really interesting way to go about it. I can't imagine having so many posters and not having them up on a wall or talking about it with friends if it comes up in conversation! Although my fiance doesn't collect posters like I do I'm lucky enough that he shares my love for the films and allows me to cover the walls with them! The dream is to someday own a home large enough to hang up as many posters as possible!

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2023, 12:49:07 AM »
It’s definitely wonderful to have some big walls to display a lot of them. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery