Author Topic: Poster Restorers, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly  (Read 103058 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Poster Restorers, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2015, 08:03:49 PM »
Damn straight.
His frickin name is all over it.

Indeed.

With the company name "Jaime Mendez Restorations," among other reasons, I figured that Jaime does most of the work there, himself.  I had not seen the video of Mr. Castillo, in the other thread, and it seems that many of us did not know who all does the work there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case, I spoke with Jaime Mendez Jr. today, and he seems like a nice guy.  He is one of the folks who works there, and he assured me that he will do his best to fix the issues with the restoration.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:18:27 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2015, 11:39:25 PM »
Indeed.

With the company name "Jaime Mendez Restorations," among other reasons, I figured that Jaime does most of the work there, himself.  I had not seen the video of Mr. Castillo, in the other thread, and it seems that many of us did not know who all does the work there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case, I spoke with Jaime Mendez Jr. today, and he seems like a nice guy.  He is one of the folks who works there, and he assured me that he will do his best to fix the issues with the restoration.

Brandon, I hope that comment of his equates to them doing the work over to remove those long creases, that were caused by their poor linen backing job as well as the bad touch ups done to the scratches that THEY caused. Anything less should be unacceptable to you.

Plus the shipping costs for the re-mailing, to and from them, this second time around.

No additional nickels from your pocket should be spent on this poster job.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2015, 12:15:33 AM »
Since they said they would repair it and send it back to me, even after the PayPal claim and all, I figured it would be a good gesture for me to send it to them without haggling about the shipping cost.  However, I know what you mean, and you're right that I should not (and will not) pay for additional work.

JM Jr. went into detail about what he will do to repair it, and I'm staying positive that he will do a good job.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2015, 12:31:47 AM »
Here's hoping for the best, Brandon.  prayer.gif

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2015, 01:00:07 AM »
Hey, to those that appreciate my help and are in a similar circumstance, I'll list the shonky seller/ restorer on my  http://nameandshameyou.com/ website. I've had refunds through PayPal in minutes from just subtly letting them know they could be featured there

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2015, 01:04:51 AM »
Great site you set up there, Steve..

As the Jacobson debacle still resonates loudly, since we both had dealings with that dishonest individual, back in the day.  moron1
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:05:23 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2015, 12:23:16 PM »
Hey, to those that appreciate my help and are in a similar circumstance, I'll list the shonky seller/ restorer on my  http://nameandshameyou.com/ website. I've had refunds through PayPal in minutes from just subtly letting them know they could be featured there

Seems like that would be a good way to compel people to do the right thing.  piratemel

On the Humanoids restoration, I spoke with a couple people at JMR yesterday.  They said they're going to remove the backing, wash the poster, put a new backing on it, and Mr. Castillo, as seen in the other video, is going to do the restoration work.

I'll post a photo of the new work when it is completed.

pcorn

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2015, 12:29:34 PM »
Seems like that would be a good way to compel people to do the right thing.  piratemel

On the Humanoids restoration, I spoke with a couple people at JMR yesterday.  They said they're going to remove the backing, wash the poster, put a new backing on it, and Mr. Castillo, as seen in the other video, is going to do the restoration work.

I'll post a photo of the new work when it is completed.

pcorn

Great to read, Brandon! A complete redo, is the way to do it, and to remove those creases and added crinkles that JMR caused in the first place.

Good for you!

cheers

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2015, 12:38:35 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.   cheers

Mirosae

« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2015, 05:57:40 PM »
All the best Brandon. I went through a very stressful time with my resto on a couple of times. I can fully understand your fustration. I hope they can fix it.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2015, 11:17:16 PM »
Thanks, Rosa.   cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2015, 12:08:35 AM »
Brandon, you should ask for pics after the new work is done and BEFORE they ship it off to you, (along with detail shots of the 'trouble areas'), to make sure they did what they said they were going to do. Sounds harsh, maybe, but after that first mishap, I know I would be asking to see the final result, while still in their hands, vs. opening a tube with a not-so-happy surprise.

cheers,  my man.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »
Brandon, you should ask for pics after the new work is done and BEFORE they ship it off to you, (along with detail shots of the 'trouble areas'), to make sure they did what they said they were going to do. Sounds harsh, maybe, but after that first mishap, I know I would be asking to see the final result, while still in their hands, vs. opening a tube with a not-so-happy surprise.

cheers,  my man.

They said they are going to email me a detailed pic when the work is complete, hopefully next week.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:10:26 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2015, 04:23:24 PM »
Right on!

cool1

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2015, 11:52:28 PM »
Happy to hear that the situation should be resolved satisfactorily.  Of course it would have been much better if it had not come to this at all in the first place!
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2015, 04:10:55 PM »
Happy to hear that the situation should be resolved satisfactorily.  Of course it would have been much better if it had not come to this at all in the first place!

Indeed.

I received this one for Humanoids from JMR, as mentioned here http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,4517.msg187812.html#msg187812

They took much better care with their work this time, and addressed all the issues with their previous work.

In hindsight, it could have been a little less of a saga, as I could have just sent it right back to them.  However, frankly speaking, the work and customer service from the first run with this restoration left me with little confidence that it would be different if I sent it back to them.

Although this second experience with JMR was not perfect, several of the issues were better this time.  There was something not right with the shipping, both times, as they sent me a tracking number, and the tracking status was not updated until the package arrived at my local post office.  It just said "Pre-shipment info. sent to USPS."  The first time, the package took over a week for a 2-day Priority Mail service, and this time it arrived on the expected day, but having no updates is annoying, and apparently JMR does not know the reason that happened.

This concludes my saga with JMR.  Thanks for your thoughts and advice with this.

cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »
Good to read, Brandon.

Re the tracking updates or lack thereof. I have had that too, recently. And that really is the fault of the USPS. Ive called and asked, and the USPS reps told me that it is due to sheer laziness by employees who routinely forget to scan the tracking number into the system, as the parcel moves along.

Ive even had things delivered here, but according to the USPS tracking page, still shows an item as having arrived at the LA sorting facility. Annoying for sure.

But glad it all worked out for you in the end.

cool1

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2015, 02:12:16 PM »
Good to read, Brandon.

Re the tracking updates or lack thereof. I have had that too, recently. And that really is the fault of the USPS. Ive called and asked, and the USPS reps told me that it is due to sheer laziness by employees who routinely forget to scan the tracking number into the system, as the parcel moves along.

Ive even had things delivered here, but according to the USPS tracking page, still shows an item as having arrived at the LA sorting facility. Annoying for sure.

But glad it all worked out for you in the end.

cool1

I've never had the problem with anyone other than JMR.  The woman at JMR said that they watched the mail carrier scan the package when he picked it up, yet there was no record of that scan or any other, until it arrived at my local post office.  On three different occasions, I spoke with a supervisor at USPS customer service, and they all said that they've never heard of the only update being the "pre-shipment info. sent to USPS."  All of them also said that there should have at least been a "package received by USPS" update, and the reason that update was not there was probably because there was something wrong with the bar code on the package.  Ultimately, when it arrived at the local post office, they would have to manually enter the info. in order to deliver it.

Basically, this all leads to there being some issue with the barcode and/or label that JMR printed, as there is an extremely low likelihood that all those checkpoints between here and California, that would have scanned the label, which would have updated the tracking, did not work both times.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:15:36 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2015, 02:21:31 PM »
Sounds like JMR may have printed labels that were not sharp and clear, then, if BOTH times this happened with them.

All i was meaning tho, too, is that I have had any number of parcels that have shown as being initially scanned, from the seller's location, and then seen nothing on the USPS tracking page, until it has literally been delivered to me, with no updates in between departure and delivery.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:24:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2015, 02:23:29 PM »
side note: I could swear USPS priority used to update at every Hub along its journey but now its only updates for "shipping label created," the initial scan once dropped off at post office, and once its delivered.  Am I tripping? Paying more for less service.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:25:14 PM by jedgerley »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »
side note: I could swear USPS priority used to update at every Hub along its journey but now its only updates once delivered.  Am I tripping? Paying more for less service.

They are supposed to. And when i called to complain about that.. asking what good a tracking number was, if no one was bothering to scan it, along the way, the only thing the woman said to me is that "Some workers dont bother to scan it when it arrives at their location. Sorry about that."  Grrrrrrrrr.

Not the answer i was hoping for, but it explains a lot!

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »
oh and I had a problem when the post woman picks up from my house. often those dont update and dont get an arrival scan and the tracking updates only once delivered. I always drop tubes off at the post office now.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2015, 03:00:03 PM »
The instances with a lack of tracking updates seems to be a more common issue than I had thought.

Not to re-open the box of worms with JMR, but after looking at this Humanoids poster a little more closely today and in brighter light, there are a few new, large touch-ups that I missed upon first look yesterday.

It must be something with the way JMR is doing the backing, causing what appears to be scratches, that need to be touched up.  Also, JMR left the tiny nicks and dings untouched.  When Poster Conservation did work on a few posters of mine, there were numerous dings and what not, and they touched up all those almost perfectly.  

Here are the new huge touch-ups, and all the minor little dings that can be seen in good lighting.

That is all.  I'll send work to Poster Conservation and Poster Mountain in the future.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:23:25 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »
Brandon, just so i'm understanding correctly.. are you saying that large touched up area in photo #1 was NOT there, on the first go around, once you had gotten it back from JMR the first time?

So that is yet another (new) mark that they caused, that then had to be retouched over on this 2nd pass??

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2015, 03:20:42 PM »
Brandon, just so i'm understanding correctly.. are you saying that large touched up area in photo #1 was NOT there, on the first go around, once you had gotten it back from JMR the first time?

So that is yet another (new) mark that they caused, that then had to be retouched over on this 2nd pass??

Yeah, those big blemishes were not there after the first backing.  They were definitely caused during the second go around.  I think that the person who did the backing is not doing something right.

I'm not going to pursue this any farther.  

It's cool that Mr. Castillo was able to make the initial problem areas much better, and the added scars add a little more character.  8)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:32:34 PM by Neo »