Author Topic: Poster Restorers, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly  (Read 103081 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Poster Restorers, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2015, 03:30:45 PM »

In the future, I'll always ask for the restorer to send a photo pre-resto and post-resto.

Yep - like everyone has said - an unfortunate situation all around.  And all one can do is try to avoid that happening in the future
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »
Yeah, it makes sense to see a photo to review the work, before finalizing the transaction.  

In this case, it's highly possible that Jaime Mendez was intentionally being deceptive, and not forthright about the damage and shoddy work they did, as the damages are permanent.  The huge crease during the backing that was bad enough that they had to touch up the entire crease, and the huge and mismatched touch ups on the fold lines and the large scratch or whatever they caused, etc.

In the future, I'll always ask for the restorer to send a photo pre-resto and post-resto.

Hey Brandon..

Any updates on this front? Hope it's working out in your favor.  cheers

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:27:29 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2015, 08:28:55 PM »
Hey Brandon..

Any updates on this front? Hope it's working out in your favor.  cheers

Thanks, brother.

I'm still waiting on PayPal to finish reviewing the case.  It may be another few weeks.  I'm confident that once they see the pre-resto and post-resto photos that I uploaded to the claim, showing the damage and shoddy work, that they will issue me a refund.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2015, 11:40:40 PM »
Thanks, brother.

I'm still waiting on PayPal to finish reviewing the case.  It may be another few weeks.  I'm confident that once they see the pre-resto and post-resto photos that I uploaded to the claim, showing the damage and shoddy work, that they will issue me a refund.

Ditto... It should be a shoe-in, my man.

I dont have any doubt.

But good vibes are still being sent your way, in any case.

cool1
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:41:20 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2015, 11:42:43 PM »
I am surprised it has to go to a paypal dispute.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2015, 11:50:55 PM »

So true, Ari.

Seems to show what JM is truly all about.  gun1

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2015, 12:05:33 AM »

Jaime's record speaks for itself.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:07:00 AM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2015, 12:08:38 AM »
Jaime's record speaks for itself.

It's UNIVERSAL!

:P
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:09:01 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2015, 03:02:38 PM »
Not to turn this whole thread into a saga about my experience with JM, but in case anyone is wondering how this is going...

It's hard to believe, but PayPal denied my claim.  They said that with a service, such as this, since the seller did the service, the buyer can't win a claim, as the service was completed.  I basically said "the service ultimately damaged my item."  They said I could file a claim with my credit card company.

I emailed Jaime and told him that since PayPal did not resolve the issue, I expect a refund for the "restoration," otherwise I would file a claim with my credit card company.

He replied and said it's "unfortunate" that I was uncooperative with them (when I didn't respond to their email after I filed a claim), and now I'm "harassing the company" (by asking for a refund.)  He did offer to fix the poster if I return it.

Maybe he could make a few of the damages and shoddy work a little better, although of course, it's not possible to undo the damage caused, and it's possible that they will do more damage to it if they work on it again.  A part of me wants to see what Mr. Wizard can do with this restoration...errr...repair (of his own work)... so I may send it back to him.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts in this difficult time.   girly2.gif  :P
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:56:20 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »
Good luck Brandon on whatever you choose to be your next step.

I'm sure if you reported this to your CC company and explained that your item was damaged by the one you paid to repair it, they would refund your $$. And that PP denied you, really is a bummer.

Are you saying that JM said YOU are now harassing he and his company by asking for (at minimum) a partial refund?  moron1

And, if you do send it back to him, once again, who is paying for the shipping there and back? He SHOULD offer to cover that, without a doubt.

And even then, I might still debate on sending it back, for fear of more (or less than professional and sloppy re-re touch ups).

Keep us posted, Brandon.

In the end, you will prevail here.

cheers

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:09:15 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2015, 03:28:27 PM »
Good luck Brandon on whatever you choose to be your next step.

I'm sure if you reported this to your CC company and explained that your item was damaged by the one you paid to repair it, they would refund your $$. And that PP denied you, really is a bummer.

Are you saying that JM said YOU are now harassing he and his company by asking for (at minimum) a partial refund?  moron1

And, if you do send it back to him, once again, who is paying for the shipping there and back? He SHOULD offer to cover that, without a doubt.

And even then, I might still debate on sending it back, for fear of more (or less than professional and sloppy re-re touch ups).

Keep us posted, Brandon.

In the end, you will prevail here.

cheers

Yeah, the exact words are ...you proceeded to resolve the issue with Paypal. Since it didn't go in your favor you proceed to harass the company.

It's incredible that someone would call that "harassment."  I told them all the issues with their work, and simply asked for a refund, and let them know how I planned to proceed.

At this point, it's a tough call; whether to give the guy a second chance, or just file a claim.  Anyway, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2015, 03:31:36 PM »
It is a bit of a tough call, tho with him replying to you like that, I would go straight to the CC company, get ALL your money back, and not let him lay his hands on the poster again.

Then, with the money back with you, you could opt to have it re-worked on by someone that you felt could do the best job.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »
I can't find earlier comments from you on this.
any pics & info?

Not to turn this whole thread into a saga about my experience with JM, but in case anyone is wondering how this is going...

It's hard to believe, but PayPal denied my claim.  They said that with a service, such as this, since the seller did the service, the buyer can't win a claim, as the service was completed.  I basically said "the service ultimately damaged my item."  They said I could file a claim with my credit card company.

I emailed Jaime and told him that since PayPal did not resolve the issue, I expect a refund for the "restoration," otherwise I would file a claim with my credit card company.

He replied and said it's "unfortunate" that I was uncooperative with them (when I didn't respond to their email after I filed a claim), and now I'm "harassing the company" (by asking for a refund.)  He did offer to fix the poster if I return it.

Maybe he could make a few of the damages and shoddy work a little better, although of course, it's not possible to undo the damage caused, and it's possible that they will do more damage to it if they work on it again.  A part of me wants to see what Mr. Wizard can do with this restoration...errr...repair (of his own work)... so I may send it back to him.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts in this difficult time.   girly2.gif  :P

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2015, 06:29:34 PM »
Part of me thinks you should give him a shot at repairing it, all expenses paid.

But, the rest of me thinks a CC refund is safer.
Then take the bucks and send it off to a pro (Dario).

In any event, the damage he has done to his own business will be hard for him to calculate.
Who'd risk sending their poster to him after reading this thread?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2015, 06:42:20 PM »
Part of me thinks you should give him a shot at repairing it, all expenses paid.

But, the rest of me thinks a CC refund is safer.
Then take the bucks and send it off to a pro (Dario).

In any event, the damage he has done to his own business will be hard for him to calculate.
Who'd risk sending their poster to him after reading this thread?

Not me...  uhno

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2015, 10:42:59 PM »
Maybe I missed it but Jaime didn't offer to fix it or make some kind of restitution prior to you filing the Paypal claim?
Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2015, 11:11:20 PM »
Do you think you'll get much further with the cc company? Send him this thread, which has been viewed 13,512 times.  Jeff can provide more metrics on APF membership, how many visitors per week etc.  Send him all that, and tell him that all you want is for A- him is to either fix it (on his dime) or B- provide a partial refund.  better yet give him a buzz nothing goes over well by email. I'm sure he'll make good on it to both of your satisfaction.  He wont want to lose potential customers down the road for a mere 50 bucks.

Anyway the poster i think still looks awesome, chicks dig it and will not notice that area at all. Put into perspective its not like that lady who ruined a fresco!
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/08/elderly-woman-ruins-19th-century-fresco-in-restoration-attempt/

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2015, 11:47:35 PM »
I hear y'all about taking the money and running.  That is, of course, if the credit card claim goes well, or I can convince JM to issue at least a partial refund.

Chris, I didn't talk with JM before filing the PayPal claim.  At the time, I really wasn't interested in sending it back to him, or haggling over a refund.

At this point, I think it may be best to allow him to work his magic, and potentially redeem himself.  The fact that he is offering to try to repair it says something.

Thanks, Vick.  Most chicks I know are more into something like the Heavy Metal art featuring Den, but yeah, it's still a rad piece, and luckily not like that fresco.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
He better re-educate his employees as well.
That BS about shipping without pics and tracking is unacceptable.
Turns me the right the hell off.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2015, 11:53:44 PM »
I hear y'all about taking the money and running.  That is, of course, if the credit card claim goes well, or I can convince JM to issue at least a partial refund.

Chris, I didn't talk with JM before filing the PayPal claim.  At the time, I really wasn't interested in sending it back to him, or haggling over a refund.

At this point, I think it may be best to allow him to work his magic, and potentially redeem himself.  The fact that he is offering to try to repair it says something.

Thanks, Vick.  Most chicks I know are more into something like the Heavy Metal art featuring Den, but yeah, it's still a rad piece, and luckily not like that fresco.

Just be sure you don't pay ANOTHER dime to him, Brandon -- and that includes the shipping $ to him and his mailing it back to you.

He should cover ALL of those associated costs, for all this time and trouble that his lackluster, damaging work has caused you.

(Just me 2¢ here).  ;)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:55:14 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »
I decided to send this poster back to JM to have him try to repair it.  Here is where the plot thickens...

After sending it, I discovered that it's actually 4 people who do most of the linen backing at JM Restoration and Conservation.  It's safe to say that on my Humanoids poster, Jaime did not do the damages and shoddy work, himself, and he probably doesn't do most of the restorations (good or bad) that leave his shop.

In any case, I asked the person I spoke with for Jaime to call me, so I can speak with him directly about all the issues with the restoration and everything.

mesmrized

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:06:35 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2015, 07:38:39 PM »
And in sending the poster back, you have now paid a 2nd time for shipping -- this time, costing even more, as the poster is heavier, now that it is backed. (Or maybe he offered to reimburse you this cost?)

Man, I hope he does you right, Brandon, with these added costs to you, and all.

prayer.gif
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:40:06 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2015, 11:42:16 PM »

After sending it, I discovered that it's actually 4 people who do most of the linen backing at JM Restoration and Conservation.  It's safe to say that on my Humanoids poster, Jaime did not do the damages and shoddy work, himself, and he probably doesn't do most of the restorations (good or bad) that leave his shop.

Just as I suspected.  But of course his name is still on the product and if things were being done correctly he should be reviewing and giving the final OK before anything is sent back to a customer...
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2015, 11:45:41 PM »
Just as I suspected.  But of course his name is still on the product and if things were being done correctly he should be reviewing and giving the final OK before anything is sent back to a customer...

Damn straight.
His frickin name is all over it.