Author Topic: E.T. Moon Poster Oddity  (Read 1083 times)

Offline falconApoda

• Beginner
E.T. Moon Poster Oddity
« on: February 22, 2023, 02:34:00 AM »
Hey, all.

Apologies in advance if this is not exactly the right board for this one, but i figure it's along the lines of authentication, so here goes...

I recently picked up a fairly nice looking E.T. moon poster from a dealer on E-bay whom I've read (on this forum) is ok. Poster arrived in fine shape and pretty-much as described, except for one slightly-nagging defect that wasn't apparent in his photo....

I did a little back-tracking on this board to further check for authentication, and the poster does appear to check out as the second printing that was sent around to Amblin's offices (measures about 26.75" x 40.5"). Everything else looks as it should (e.g., light through the trees, typography, white border/overall measurements, no red line.

But... what... IS... this? Has anyone else seen it on this poster? I can find no other images that show it. On close examination, it appears to be something that could possibly be wiped off with the right cleaning agent, but I'm electing not to touch it at all until I know for sure.

Of course, there is the tiny possibility in my mind that this is indicative of something very wrong with this poster, which is what brought me here. I doubt this is the case from this seller (I've purchased from him before), but kinda wanted to get a second opinion anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Offline cmcdoge

• Beginner
Re: E.T. Moon Poster Oddity
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 01:56:59 PM »
yeah definitely looks like some blemish that happened after printing. Wouldn't happen to have a magnifying glass or something to get really close in there?

Offline falconApoda

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 02:42:52 PM »
This is about the best I can do with my phone camera....

Offline cmcdoge

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 03:18:58 PM »
Just with the naked eye, it looks to be something on top of the print layer. you can see the texture and print grid under the white belmish.

so yeah, no idea what this is. maybe something someone splashed on it accidentally?

Offline falconApoda

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 04:08:53 PM »
Just with the naked eye, it looks to be something on top of the print layer. you can see the texture and print grid under the white belmish.

so yeah, no idea what this is. maybe something someone splashed on it accidentally?

I dunno. I might make an attempt to remove it, but my gut instinct is to leave it alone. The poster really is in great shape, except for this one little thing.

I'm now a little curious about is this apparent "print grid". I would have expected the familiar rosette pattern (CMYK). Was this printed with some other process, or do I need to get closer in order to see this (i.e., it is a very tight dot screen)?

At any rate, it appears to be at an angle.

Offline cmcdoge

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 04:22:20 PM »
I'm not super familiar with what printing method the studio used, so hopefully another member can help there.

if you do try to clean it, id look into how art restoration folks do it with just a little spit (very little on the swab, not wet) and a cotton swab. apparently its enough to lift a lot of things, and is fairly kind to the piece. if you don't see any improvement though in a couple rotations of the swab, probably best to just leave it, or take it to a professional.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 04:23:47 PM by cmcdoge »

Offline cmcdoge

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 04:22:44 PM »