Author Topic: Our December Major Auction is now LIVE!  (Read 987 times)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
Our December Major Auction is now LIVE!
« on: November 30, 2022, 08:38:44 AM »
Our December Major Auction is now LIVE at https://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/13.html and words fail me!

It truly has something for every collector!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline riley540

• Beginner
Re: Our December Major Auction is now LIVE!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 11:37:53 PM »
Hi Bruce,

I have noticed a trend of near perfect, rolled posters being linen backed for the purpose of preservation . I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this? Do you think this negatively impacts the overall value? There are a few in your auction right now such as the Star Wars proofs and the Schindlers list poster.

Thanks for your insights!

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 09:08:48 AM »
Hi Bruce,

I have noticed a trend of near perfect, rolled posters being linen backed for the purpose of preservation . I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this? Do you think this negatively impacts the overall value? There are a few in your auction right now such as the Star Wars proofs and the Schindlers list poster.

Thanks for your insights!

I too am surprised by this. Those all were sent to me that way. I would never tell someone to do that. My logic is that linenbacking can always be done later, but it can't be undone.

On the other hand those who hate linen should only collect posters of the 1960s on. Too few pre-1970 posters survive with no restoration.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 10:49:07 AM »
I too am surprised by this. Those all were sent to me that way. I would never tell someone to do that. My logic is that linenbacking can always be done later, but it can't be undone.

On the other hand those who hate linen should only collect posters of the 1960s on. Too few pre-1970 posters survive with no restoration.

I agree on both statements. I am not against linen backing at all, but a rare, near perfect poster being backed just seems a bit unnecessary! Either way, I imagine they will still sell for great prices.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 12:33:59 PM »

It's no secret that I despise linenbacking.  All this linenbacking stuff for sale makes it easy for me.  I just go through it without looking and only pause when a folded poster shows up.

The fun for me (and sometimes a real challenge to be honest) is to find folded posters from the 40s to 60s.  Glad I got the likes of Breakfast at Tiffany's, Laura, Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window, Shadow of a Doubt, Lady from Shanghai, Double Indemnity and many more...  ALL FOLDED!!!!  AND they will remain folded as long as they are in my collection.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 03:19:59 PM »
It's no secret that I despise linenbacking.  All this linenbacking stuff for sale makes it easy for me.  I just go through it without looking and only pause when a folded poster shows up.

The fun for me (and sometimes a real challenge to be honest) is to find folded posters from the 40s to 60s.  Glad I got the likes of Breakfast at Tiffany's, Laura, Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window, Shadow of a Doubt, Lady from Shanghai, Double Indemnity and many more...  ALL FOLDED!!!!  AND they will remain folded as long as they are in my collection.

T

I can respect both classes of collectors. Linen backed stuff is easy to handle and easier to display. I display pretty much everything I buy, so an older more brittle folded poster doesn’t appeal as much to my type of collecting. However, I have a ton of respect for the people that want everything as original as possible. I think there is something super cool and moving about an artifact in its original state, with all the history showing.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 04:15:39 PM »

As someone who mostly collects paper from the 1930s through the early 1970s, I would disagree with that statement.  Sure, the older the decade, the more difficult it is to find a folded copy for any title, but that's what makes it part of the fun, at least to me.   

At the end of the day, I think it all depends on one's tolerance for flaws, as well as personal standards when it comes to what is deemed acceptable in a poster condition-wise.  I'm ok with various defects such as tears, pin holes, etc... and I will always prefer an unrestored copy to a linen backed example, even if that means purchasing what might appear to other collectors as too damaged a copy.  The one condition defect that is a big no-no in my book is fading, but everything else is on a sliding scale depending on the extent of the problem and the rarity of the item at hand.   

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 05:14:54 PM »
As someone who mostly collects paper from the 1930s through the early 1970s, I would disagree with that statement.  Sure, the older the decade, the more difficult it is to find a folded copy for any title, but that's what makes it part of the fun, at least to me.   

At the end of the day, I think it all depends on one's tolerance for flaws, as well as personal standards when it comes to what is deemed acceptable in a poster condition-wise.  I'm ok with various defects such as tears, pin holes, etc... and I will always prefer an unrestored copy to a linen backed example, even if that means purchasing what might appear to other collectors as too damaged a copy.  The one condition defect that is a big no-no in my book is fading, but everything else is on a sliding scale depending on the extent of the problem and the rarity of the item at hand.

Yeah, it’s all relative and everyone collects for different reasons. I’m not anal really with condition and will but folded and linen backed stuff if I like it. I also recently bought something with slight color fading, but it looks nice and will look good on my wall 🤷🏼‍♂️ I plan on keeping the posters I buy for a long time, so I don’t get to turned off by condition

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 06:00:07 PM »
I suspect some folks expect to make more $ via the Bruce's major auction and "think" they need to linenback to achieve this.

At the other end, whoever pays up the yinyang for a Schindler's list linebacked poster is surely not a genuine poster collector more likely a dealer or occasional buyer.  I can't imagine a true collector would be interested in paying a premium for such a superfluously presented item.

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 06:13:37 AM »
I suspect some folks expect to make more $ via the Bruce's major auction and "think" they need to linenback to achieve this.
At the other end, whoever pays up the yinyang for a Schindler's list linebacked poster is surely not a genuine poster collector more likely a dealer or occasional buyer.  I can't imagine a true collector would be interested in paying a premium for such a superfluously presented item.

Exactly.  We talked earlier about the new comers in the market, here they are!    Bought by guy who will presumably do the same, the trend is on  :P :P

Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 09:29:48 AM »
I can respect both classes of collectors. Linen backed stuff is easy to handle and easier to display. I display pretty much everything I buy, so an older more brittle folded poster doesn’t appeal as much to my type of collecting. However, I have a ton of respect for the people that want everything as original as possible. I think there is something super cool and moving about an artifact in its original state, with all the history showing.

To me, it's also a space issue. 

First, I like to know what kind of damages my poster has, and unless it was in perfect condition before linenbacking, I simply don't trust it.  I don't like holes, tears and missing pieces on my folded posters, I want them as close to mint as possible, so I certainly do not want any issues addressed and hiden by linenbacking. 

Beyond that, space is essential.  I own about 18,000 posters at this point and if 1% of my collection was linenbacked, I wouldn't know where to put it.  Folded, I have no problems.  They go in flat files and I forget about them.  I own 74 linenbacked posters, US, French and Italian.  If I own them, it is because I know I cannot find them folded in the condition I like.  74 seems like nothing to most, but it takes a lot of room in tubes, especially French and Italian.  So I must stick to folded.

T
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 09:31:17 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)