Author Topic: Theda Bara the original Vamp!  (Read 1506 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Theda Bara the original Vamp!
« on: October 31, 2022, 08:13:17 PM »
I was sure excited to receive the Heritage catalog this summer with a good portion of the great silent posters from the Dwight Manley Collection being offered. This catalog, with images of so many silent film rarities all in one place, is a great gift to the hobby.  Dwight put together an amazing silent movie poster collection in a relatively short period of time (10 years).  Even my friend good ole Bruce Hershsenson talks in the catalog about silent posters and Dwight building his collection. So, how important was Dwight's putting this collection together?  So important that two movie poster superpowers combined (HA and Bruce) to get us excited about this collection and auction.  Well, there certainly were many beautiful and important posters in this auction, though one excited me especially: The She-Devil Theda Bara three sheet from 1918.  I'd seen it once before and thought I had missed my chance after Dwight added it to his collection.  Oh boy, though there it was in the catalog and I just had to have it. The poster art has that dark air of mystery that I love in an eerie stone litho poster.  If you all have any other Theda Bara posters, I would sure enjoy seeing them here, too.  Okie

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: Theda Bara the original Vamp!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 08:24:59 PM »
Great pick up, congrats!  I don't collect silent movie posters, but I sure can appreciate the importance of the Manley collection.  Glad you got something from that sale...

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 12:20:21 PM »
GREAT piece of paper you go there, Okie. I've always loved that image. I don't have any Bara paper, but I've been on the hunt for a nice copy of the Cleopatra window card for a couple of years, with no success. Someday!

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 04:07:07 AM »
Beautiful.  Well done!
Way beyond my budget :)
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 04:56:04 AM »
That's beautiful, Okie.

I'm shamefully ignorant about silent films - do Heritage put their catalogues online for download? I had a quick search, but couldn't see it.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 01:16:47 AM »
That's beautiful, Okie.

I'm shamefully ignorant about silent films - do Heritage put their catalogues online for download? I had a quick search, but couldn't see it.

I'm not sure if you can download the whole catalog, Tob.  I know you can usually download all the images you want. Watch eBay as the catalog would be worth having with so many great silent posters. Okie