Author Topic: Hello from Indiana!  (Read 1068 times)

Offline DracoAdamantus

• Beginner
Hello from Indiana!
« on: October 31, 2022, 01:50:58 PM »
I'm new here so just wanted to introduce myself. I would not consider myself to be a "poster collector", as the primary focus of my collections are replica movie props. However, I like to use prints and posters to add to the decor of the main fixture.

I especially love "in universe" posters, large posters or paper props that would have come out of a work of fiction (coming directly off of the replica props interest).

One question I have for the forum as a whole, is this site mainly a discussion of physical posters only, or is there any sort of discussion/exchange of digital scans here? There are a few specific posters that I do want for my collection that I have been searching for forever, but they have been out of print for years. I have no issues with replicas, I mainly just want to have the art from these specific pieces of media on my wall, so maybe someone here has either digital scans or original copies they could get scanned that I could have printed myself.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Hello from Indiana!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 07:19:25 PM »
Are you talking about numbered prints or movie posters.  I’m a little confused when you say that “they have been out of print for years.” 

As an unwritten rule, movie poster collectors do not sell or even give away jpgs of posters they own.  We do not like reprints.  Even if it’s for your own use, who knows what happens to them in the future or if a dishonest seller tries to pass them as authentic to an incredulous buyer.  So we don’t.

You might find some jpgs on the internet or at some auction houses, but I doubt they are large enough to reproduce as posters.

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 02:09:55 AM »
Welcome!  Most of what we collect has been out of print for years.  They are out of print within weeks of them hitting the market for sale or in most cases before they are even for sale.  With that, what we collect are the original works.  Many of us will search or work for years (as many years as some of the pieces have been out of print) to track down a copy of what we want.  We are after the physical piece of paper because that is the original thing.  Anything else is nothing more than a placeholder for the real deal.  There is a market for licensed reprints.  But, those are reprints of items for which the originals sell for well into the high 5 or 6 figures.  I do not think anyone here has any interest in digital scans or the result that can come from them.

One of the huge things that plagues this hobby is reprints, especially thse sold as originals.  I'd say that most of us who have been in the hobby for any amount of time have been burned at one time or another by something that was not authentic.  Due to that, most in the hobby are VERY anti printing of scans.  We would all rather spend the time i takes to find the real thing.  In fact, I'd say that the hunt rather than the obtaining is more exciting for most of us.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 10:32:02 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 04:39:35 AM »
Hi there. Welcome to the forum. i have a few props from movies. What kind of props do you have? I need to get to bed---but I just wanted to say hello.
CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!