Author Topic: Lawrence of Arabia 3 Sheet  (Read 1471 times)

Offline SteveWyshy

• Beginner
Lawrence of Arabia 3 Sheet
« on: October 14, 2022, 05:01:17 PM »
Hello, I've recently been gifted what I can only describe as one of the most stunning Lawrence of Arabia posters I've ever seen. This one looks to be described as a 3 sheet that was shipped with two additional pieces. Any ideas how to find out what the additional pieces might be to complete the set?

The dimensions of the artwork are 39" wide and 77" tall. The only card on the back is the frame company, which appears to be fantastic craftsmanship. I've left a voicemail and waiting on a reply.

My best guess is this came originally from a set of artwork used for the 1962 roadhouse release of the movie, but maybe there were additional releases? The details on the print itself are minimal, but not sure if folks have any additional information on this particular version? Most of the editions I've seen with this font are in horizontal orientations.

Thanks for any info/suggestions you might have on figuring out where this fit in the wider release schedule & any other pieces to make it a complete set, regardless of what I learn about it I'm gonna cherish this forever. In the last photo you can see some of the details where the linework from the designer is still visible too.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Lawrence of Arabia 3 Sheet
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 06:00:24 PM »
I'm not quite sure what additional pieces you're talking about.  This looks complete to me.  It probably came in 2 or 3 pieces originally (I've seen both) and looks like it was linenbacked before it was put in the frame.  It is a nice poster.  I've been looking for a folded copy for a while now.  Congrats!

Here is one from Heritage.

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/academy-award-winner/lawrence-of-arabia-columbia-1962-three-sheet-42-x-795-/a/7128-86029.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline SteveWyshy

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 06:21:37 PM »
That does indeed look like the same one in the link, thanks for sharing!

Apologies for the confusion, the additional pieces I was asking about are in relation to the text at the bottom of the poster "3 SH. Lawrence of Arabia No. 2 & 3".  My guess is this was sent along with an additional #1 item, with this qualifying as the 2 & 3 parts of the promotional material due to its large size. My knowledge of this aspect of movie history is still new to me though so I'm just guessing here.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 06:51:25 PM »
Three sheet refers to the size of the poster.  Usually 41x81in, but it can vary by a few inches.  A one sheet (27x41in) is the basic US movie poster.  Your Lawrence may have come in 2 pieces or 3 pieces (not sure), thus the name 3-sheet (it is 3 times bigger than the basic poster).  Those pieces were originally folded and then put on linen to erase the folds and make it look like one piece.

If you check my website, under sizes, you will see a few examples of 3-sheet, 6-sheet, inserts, etc.

Hope it helps,

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 07:53:27 PM »
That is a beautiful poster.

Welcome to the forum!