Author Topic: Rare Bob Peak "The Emerald Forest" poster - Thomas Peak help!  (Read 1893 times)

Offline BlueCity

• Beginner
Rare Bob Peak "The Emerald Forest" poster - Thomas Peak help!
« on: September 02, 2022, 02:59:00 AM »

So I came across an EMBASSY PICTURES 1985-86 campaign book 1985 that was up for auction on Emovieposter.com that had a single page of rare and amazing artwork of legendary poster artist Bob Peak of some work from the film The Emerald Forest by John Boorman.  I've never seen it before so not sure if it was a campaign that did not ultimately go nor do I know if it was ever made into any sort of poster let alone a one-sheet.  I tried through ten different channels to reach his son Thomas Peak to ask such a question about it (Facebook, twitter, website, linkedin) but to no avail.  Anybody know if this was ever made into a poster of any size or anybody able to reach Bob's son Thomas to ask?  (He heads up his father's estate, work and legacy)  It's a poster I would die to have, really represents splendidly and artistically the father/son bond the film projects and it basically puts the horrible and lame original theatrical one-sheet to shame.  Any help on this would be appreciated.  (Not to sell BTW - to keep for my OWN collection!)  Help me Thomas Peak - you're my only hope!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Rare Bob Peak "The Emerald Forest" poster - Thomas Peak help!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 05:05:40 PM »
I don't know who Thomas is, but have you tried to reach Matt Peak?  Bottleneck has done a few projects with him (some referencing his father) so that might be a good way to start.

I'm pretty sure this poster was never printed.  I worked at multiple studios, and multiple agencies/designers are hired on any given project.  Lots, LOTS of leftovers, which some people like to collect.  Discarded designs (obviously not good enough) is a weird thing to collect, but whatever.  If you like a specific artist, it makes more sense.

My 2c.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 04:27:19 PM »

I'm pretty sure this poster was never printed.  I worked at multiple studios, and multiple agencies/designers are hired on any given project.  Lots, LOTS of leftovers, which some people like to collect.  Discarded designs (obviously not good enough) is a weird thing to collect, but whatever.  If you like a specific artist, it makes more sense.

My 2c.

T

lol. this is from a campaign book - this is a bit different from something that was chucked in a bin.
it is, or it was, fairly common to have different art in campaign books, trade adverts

Offline BlueCity

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 03:26:16 PM »
Good note on Matt Peak!  Contacted him, chatted and he let me know it was not the work of his father.  (Even though when it was up for auction via Emovieposter.com the title said "EMBASSY PICTURES 1985-86 campaign book 1985 cool Bob Peak art for The Emerald Forest!")

He guessed that it looked like the work of John Alvin and would forward it to Andrea Alvin for clarity.  Will keep you posted! 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 06:12:19 PM »
It is not Alvin either.  If you check my website, I have a few Alvin posters and this doesn't look like it belongs at all.

T
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 06:14:26 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline BlueCity

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 03:33:18 AM »
Agreed and confirmed by Andrea Alvin.  She says she it is not John's and she is not sure whose it is.  So I guess Bruce was wrong in his auction description.  But the big question is - who created this artwork?  (Enquiring minds want to know!)  I will stay on the case!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 05:53:30 AM »
The quad was illustrated by Brian Bysouth - hard to tell if that's his style though (the bit in the bottom left looks similar to some of his work?).

Ed who runs Film on Paper might have a more informed opinion if you send him an email
https://www.filmonpaper.com/posters/the-emerald-forest-quad-uk/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 08:05:01 PM »
That seems much more like it.

Btw, is Ed done with his website?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 04:38:23 AM »
Btw, is Ed done with his website?

T

Ed has been working on the site (added filters to the archive and he replaced his excellent photos with even better hi-res photos), I think just trying to find time to get through photographing all the posters since his last update so he can start adding the new ones. I nudge him about it occasionally as I really enjoy his site and he sent me a picture of his poster pile...it was a thick wedge, so lots of goodies to come eventually.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 08:27:29 AM »
Agreed and confirmed by Andrea Alvin.  She says she it is not John's and she is not sure whose it is.  So I guess Bruce was wrong in his auction description. But the big question is - who created this artwork?  (Enquiring minds want to know!)  I will stay on the case!

Thanks! It was wrong in the title of the item, not the description, and we fixed it (and also on the one previous time we sold it).

We DID always correctly identify the art as being by Brian Bysouth when we have sold the British Quad (and also the Australian daybill and Australian one-sheet, both of which we sold back in 2010.

https://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/EMERALD%2520FOREST/tag/art%253ABrian%2520Bysouth/archive.html
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 08:18:22 PM »
Whoever is the artist is also likely responsible for this concept art.  Unfortunately, I also do not know who to attribute.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 08:21:06 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery