Author Topic: Fellowship of the Ring poster arrived  (Read 2360 times)

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
Fellowship of the Ring poster arrived
« on: August 23, 2022, 11:59:52 PM »
Hey everyone,

My Fellowship of the Ring poster arrived today from artofthemovies.co.uk.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm posting to see what you all think.

It's double-sided and looks authentic in my opinion. It looks incredible actually.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Fellowship of the Ring poster arrived
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 05:46:24 PM »
Test

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 08:12:28 PM »
Test

Can confirm I can see the posts and responses as of now :)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 11:42:49 PM »
I have zero doubt it is authentic.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 11:56:57 PM »
I have zero doubt it is authentic.

T

That's great news then! You guys obviously have a better eye for telling :)

The next step is to figure out the best process for framing in a way that won't tarnish its value (at least until I get a light box down the track) as I do want to display it (I probably won't ever sell it tbh)

Online BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 06:18:33 AM »
Very glad for you.

As for framing, acrylic glass is preferred (don't go for real glass, if you ensure you have spacers so that poster doesn't touch the glass).
The sun can be a killer depending of your location, if frame with acrylic in a dark corner, it should be fine until you get the lightbox. Otherwise, get anti-UV perspex (not the best) or anti-UV glass (very expensive).

Another killer, humidity or change of temperature (same it depends with your location) so it should framed somewhere dry or with no change of enviromnent.

Often forgotten are the paper pest, especially if you live in rural country.  Make sure frame is well sealed from behind.  If no paper pest where you are, consider having openable frame so that you can swap poster easily.

And the last killer is the framer itself.  Some will advice you to dry-mount it (oh don't).   Beware also if you frame full bleed (I like full bleed as paper sits in the frame - no attach nor tape - and I can change it), some funny framer love to nails with poster inside (the worst scenario) or forget to put a buffer paper between the poster and the backboard resulting in having nails marks or rust marks.   

Cheers
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 09:47:20 AM »
^good advice there

Poster looks good, ArnieD101!

Are you looking forward to the upcoming Rings of Power series on Amazon?

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 10:06:22 AM »
Very glad for you.

As for framing, acrylic glass is preferred (don't go for real glass, if you ensure you have spacers so that poster doesn't touch the glass).
The sun can be a killer depending of your location, if frame with acrylic in a dark corner, it should be fine until you get the lightbox. Otherwise, get anti-UV perspex (not the best) or anti-UV glass (very expensive).

Another killer, humidity or change of temperature (same it depends with your location) so it should framed somewhere dry or with no change of enviromnent.

Often forgotten are the paper pest, especially if you live in rural country.  Make sure frame is well sealed from behind.  If no paper pest where you are, consider having openable frame so that you can swap poster easily.

And the last killer is the framer itself.  Some will advice you to dry-mount it (oh don't).   Beware also if you frame full bleed (I like full bleed as paper sits in the frame - no attach nor tape - and I can change it), some funny framer love to nails with poster inside (the worst scenario) or forget to put a buffer paper between the poster and the backboard resulting in having nails marks or rust marks.   

Cheers

Thank you very much for your extensive response and advice! Definitely lots more to consider than I would have thought (understandably). I reckon if the price of the custom frame stretches too high I might just be better off going for the lightbox, but super helpful points for me to talk over with potential framers :)

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 10:11:27 AM »
^good advice there

Poster looks good, ArnieD101!

Are you looking forward to the upcoming Rings of Power series on Amazon?

Thanks Tob! For the price I paid, I'm glad it is (I'm almost tempted to buy a second one for a lesser price and frame that while putting this one away in storage haha)

Truth be told I am looking forward to it and going off of the consensus from some Tolkien experts who have already seen parts of it, it seems to be shaping up well! Just hoping that the Embracer Group's recent acquisition of the LOTR IP doesn't mean that Tolkien's work will be drained in an unfaithful way. This show I am definitely eager to check out :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 10:12:32 AM by ArnieD101 »

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 11:42:59 PM »
The next step is to figure out the best process for framing in a way that won't tarnish its value [...]

Impossible.  Don't get me wrong, you can certainly minimize damage to the poster by choosing a good archival framing method, but there is no way that you are going to have a poster in a frame for 25 years and expect for it not to sustain any degradation, however miniscule.  Even with UV-protected glass and acid-free backing board, exposure to room lights can even cause fading over time.  As BwanaDik mentioned, if you don't have a museum-quality climate control system, the environment can do all kinds of things with the paper.  For example, if you have very humid summers and dry winters, you might find some very light rippling over the years.  This is not to mention the effects gravity can have on a hanging poster over many years. 

I say all of this only because, if condition is very important to you, I don't want you to be disappointed if, after several years behind a frame, you take it out and are devastated that the paper is in slightly less perfect condition that when it went in, despite the frame shop promising you it's a "conservation frame."  If you really want to perfectly preserve the condition of a framed poster, with zero degradation, that's impossible in my book.  However, there are plenty of smart ways to minimize damage to a framed poster.  The "Framing & Storage" sub-forum is a great place to start.  Lots of experienced people there can help.

Online BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 04:51:31 AM »
Impossible.  Don't get me wrong, you can certainly minimize damage to the poster by choosing a good archival framing method, but there is no way that you are going to have a poster in a frame for 25 years and expect for it not to sustain any degradation, however miniscule.  Even with UV-protected glass and acid-free backing board, exposure to room lights can even cause fading over time.  As BwanaDik mentioned, if you don't have a museum-quality climate control system, the environment can do all kinds of things with the paper.  For example, if you have very humid summers and dry winters, you might find some very light rippling over the years.  This is not to mention the effects gravity can have on a hanging poster over many years. 

I say all of this only because, if condition is very important to you, I don't want you to be disappointed if, after several years behind a frame, you take it out and are devastated that the paper is in slightly less perfect condition that when it went in, despite the frame shop promising you it's a "conservation frame."  If you really want to perfectly preserve the condition of a framed poster, with zero degradation, that's impossible in my book.  However, there are plenty of smart ways to minimize damage to a framed poster.  The "Framing & Storage" sub-forum is a great place to start.  Lots of experienced people there can help.

Indeed, Stefano, you are right.  A framing with zero degradation over the years is impossible. 

Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.