Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539096 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #3025 on: August 16, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »
Pick what you like and stop thinking about what it's worth.  Collect for the art and not the value.

T

Yup.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #3026 on: August 16, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »
Sorry if my post came off as bitter or angry, in all reality I feel more sad than anything. This all just the feelings that I'm having towards this part of the hobby and I'm sure some new collector may not feel the same way. I have lost the passion and I feel like its due to influx of non-collectors. Be it a professional flipper that snags 5-10 of a said print or just some noob that doesnt know a thing about prints figuring he can make $50 for standing in line. Even some of the others that have been around for a while are just buying to buy with no regard for the idea of collecting or the love of the art. Now this all may come off as an "I hate flippers" rant, which on some level it might be. But thats not the heart of what Im feeling, its more like someone stole my favorite toy and I'm just realizing that I'm never going to get it back. Im not really mad at anyone I just want the good feeling that I got getting some cool prints back. But now if I want to do that I just have to fork over cash to a reseller which sort of ruins everything for me. I guess this is just part of my evolution as a collector. Ill still try for a print that I just must have, due to the artwork or subject material but I am no longer on the Mondo fun-train. The flippers and the noobs can waste their days sitting around for 8hrs+ F5'ing a website and Ill go out and enjoy life! :)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3027 on: August 16, 2012, 03:49:35 PM »
I actually hope the prices do start to slide as there are a few I missed I still want. It just seems the price point is not holding on some of the more recent stuff. Good for the buyers, bad for the speculators, but sounds good to me!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3028 on: August 30, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
Batman is up.  I'm totally passing.  This is such a far cry from JC Richard's Fortress of Solitude.  I don't think he gets Batman at all.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3029 on: August 30, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
What he said....

Sorry if my post came off as bitter or angry, in all reality I feel more sad than anything. This all just the feelings that I'm having towards this part of the hobby and I'm sure some new collector may not feel the same way. I have lost the passion and I feel like its due to influx of non-collectors. Be it a professional flipper that snags 5-10 of a said print or just some noob that doesnt know a thing about prints figuring he can make $50 for standing in line. Even some of the others that have been around for a while are just buying to buy with no regard for the idea of collecting or the love of the art. Now this all may come off as an "I hate flippers" rant, which on some level it might be. But thats not the heart of what Im feeling, its more like someone stole my favorite toy and I'm just realizing that I'm never going to get it back. Im not really mad at anyone I just want the good feeling that I got getting some cool prints back. But now if I want to do that I just have to fork over cash to a reseller which sort of ruins everything for me. I guess this is just part of my evolution as a collector. Ill still try for a print that I just must have, due to the artwork or subject material but I am no longer on the Mondo fun-train. The flippers and the noobs can waste their days sitting around for 8hrs+ F5'ing a website and Ill go out and enjoy life! :)
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3030 on: September 06, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »
Silent on new releases?

Time to dump folks if you are holding for value.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3031 on: September 06, 2012, 11:58:44 PM »
Well, I don't buy for value, so I don't dump.

And the silence...  I don't think it comes from the end of Mondo.  I think it comes from really, really sub-par product.  Wait until they actually have something semi-decent and we will talk.

T

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:52:52 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #3032 on: September 07, 2012, 07:00:16 AM »
I think on some level Mondo has lost touch with its core fan base. Hence the desire to resurrect their Blog to include some of the old fun stories as well as reviving the, youve been framed series. This last run of posters was for sure not anything I'd be interested in, I checked the photos in the initial email and forgot about them instantly until the tweets went out and I was so glad that I dont care anymore! If I had still been on the Mondo-train Id have spent half of yesterday F5'ing for some mediocre (at best) prints.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3033 on: September 07, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
I haven't been that excited about Mondo's drops lately.  They had a few scores IMO at Comicon (Would still like to snag a Creature), but I don't feel like I would want to anymore,  or frankly don't have the resources to buy all of their offerings.

I picked up the What's Opera Doc print.  This is my first Whalen, who I am generally not a big fan of.  However, I think he did a great job channeling Chuck Jones for what is arguably, one of the finest Looney Toons cartoons.

Kill Da Wabbit, Kill Da Wabbit!

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #3034 on: September 07, 2012, 09:44:38 PM »
Lost interest long ago.
Keeping a handful that I actually really like...everything else is either sold or for sale.
Just can't be bothered anymore.

I don't see the market tanking as such, rather the initial hype seems to be wearing off.
Should be a good thing for those who really enjoy them...less competition.
Ves

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3035 on: September 13, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »
I got everything, this morning... Well, the 2 BTTF and the AT Variant.

I really like Englert's format.  I think they all look good together.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3036 on: September 13, 2012, 08:07:16 PM »
I picked up the regular BTTF.  Englert's had a pretty nice run lately.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3037 on: September 15, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
Anyone see the Mondo Gallery Drake prints?

Looks like 6 prints available.
Deckard
Rachel
Pris from Blade Runner
Metropolis
O'Ren from Kill Bill 1
Nina from Black Swan

Was never a big fan of Nagel in the day, but looking at these kinda takes me back.
I like Rachel, O'Ren and Nina.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3038 on: September 16, 2012, 12:35:20 AM »
I'm sorry.

I got everything, this morning... Well, the 2 BTTF and the AT Variant.

T

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3039 on: September 16, 2012, 09:20:55 AM »
Hey Holiday,

I saw you had a bit of a sale at eBeans.  Gratz on the results!  I am sure you will enjoy that shiny, new iPad  :)

Charlie

« Reply #3040 on: September 16, 2012, 12:28:25 PM »
Anyone see the Mondo Gallery Drake prints?

Nina from Black Swan

Great! Just when I swore off Mondo...

So if I drive to Austin I can buy this print from the gallery?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:29:49 PM by Charlie »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3041 on: September 16, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
Might be worth calling them first to check if they're sold out or not. If you go, can you pick me up a print for O-Ren Ishii print please? Will obviously pay you the $ :) Thanks!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3042 on: September 16, 2012, 07:20:39 PM »

I want one of them things....

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:20:54 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

guest8

« Reply #3043 on: September 17, 2012, 11:51:51 AM »

You can get the original artwork for $1100
http://www.mondotees.com/Nina_p_570.html

:)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3044 on: September 17, 2012, 12:08:01 PM »

Not bad, but I think it would look better if the dancer looked more like Natalie Portman. 

guest8

« Reply #3045 on: September 17, 2012, 12:10:10 PM »

guest8

« Reply #3046 on: September 17, 2012, 12:10:57 PM »
Doesnt look to be an instant sell out .. Hope Charlie can snag one.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3047 on: September 17, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »
Me Too.

O-Ren and Pris went very quickly.  Others lingered a little.  I think the OG stuff going up first may have thrown a few people off the scent.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3048 on: September 17, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »

I dig these.  The glow in the dark looks really cool in the pictures.  I'd still like to see what one of those prints looks like in a frame and a homemade picture, not a "prototype picture" or whatever it's called.  I think the glow in the dark prints are a very cool, new style of art.

Charlie

« Reply #3049 on: September 17, 2012, 01:30:43 PM »
Fail... I was in our quarterly business meeting. Appears to be gone.