Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538732 times)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #3000 on: July 18, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »
Maybe you just need to look harder.  I have this one......

I would want one with an Eva Kant that actually looks like Marisa Mell, that does not fit the bill.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:07:34 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #3001 on: July 18, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »
Anyone want to guess on how many they'll sell?  I venture to guess somewhere in the 2,000 - 3,000 range. I feel sorry for the couple suckers who pre-ordered this from sellers on eBay (actually I don't, but I'm constantly amazed at the number of suckers out there).  Someone paid over $300 for this timed version (not the comic con one) the seller even states this is the description.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Olly-Moss-Dark-Knight-Rises-Print-Mondo-Movie-Poster-Batman-Regular-16x24-/390440770511?pt=Art_Prints&hash=item5ae8155bcf
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:22:20 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #3002 on: July 19, 2012, 02:17:05 AM »
So the final edition size on The Dark Knight is in.... 9,350!  :o  I hope they don't make a regular practice of this, they'll kill the investment value!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3003 on: July 19, 2012, 03:27:19 AM »
9,350?
At $40 per print, Mr.Moss grossed $374k.
Of course, that doesn't factor in the expense of printing (whatever that might be).

Well done for a piece of art that screams out to me, "Where are his shoulders?"

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #3004 on: July 19, 2012, 08:13:30 AM »

Yeah, what's with that?  I suggest that all these new artists do some research and look at comic book artist Jack Kirby's work, he knew how to draw figures with the correct proportions.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3005 on: July 19, 2012, 10:03:12 AM »
That is unreal, now you can see how many people are pissed that they cant get in on a normal drop for a 300 count print. Granted there are probably many that are buying for that film alone.

I was expecting in the 2000 range.

A lot of happy pockets on this one, hell even if Mondo gets $10, Olly gets $10 and the printers/shipping is 20 per, they still made out with 90K each. Not a bad days work!

I think I am in the wrong business..

guest8

« Reply #3006 on: July 19, 2012, 10:18:15 AM »
Pre-Printing, Licensing, Artist, and general overhead expenses their final "Profit" is closer to $350k for this print run.

I cant imagine the amount of time it will take to package all of these and ship them out. Someone guesstimated that it would take ~467 hrs for someone to pack each of these up and process each order. (I think they estimated 3 mins/tube). So if someone is being paid $10/hr to pack and ship thats ~$5k out the door right there. Sure not a lot but thats the kind of little stuff that will chip away at the costs. Now will they pack and ship them from Austin? Or from D&L?

Also, the licensing that Mondo usually gets is for small artist runs, since this was a massive sale Im guessing this wasnt their typical license and it probably cost a lot more.

And any business owner that has more than just one or two employees can understand the need to cover overhead, insurance and possible expansion and help stimulate the growth of the business. Not to mention the time to set this up prior to the sale. They may have weeks already invested into the project, flights to and from LA to talk to studios .. Maybe this even paid for Olly to come to SDCC ?

So although it was a big pay day Im guessing its not quite as big as were thinking it is.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3007 on: July 19, 2012, 11:19:46 AM »
That is unreal, now you can see how many people are pissed that they cant get in on a normal drop for a 300 count print. Granted there are probably many that are buying for that film alone.

I was expecting in the 2000 range.

Totally agree. Vastly more than I expected. They really should increase the print runs or sell for a set time period to meet demand and ameliorate the impossible level of competition for the best prints.

It's more than just a money issue. Can you imagine how many thousands of hours Mondo buyers have wasted trying to get them against impossible competition?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:24:04 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3008 on: July 19, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »
9,350?
At $40 per print, Mr.Moss grossed $374k.
Of course, that doesn't factor in the expense of printing (whatever that might be).

Well observed, Ted. That and the bat shaped cut out for the eye holes in the mask, just seems to be trying too hard on this particular image, IMHO.

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3009 on: July 19, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
I heard WAKE IN FRIGHT is coming soon. be interested to see what people make of it.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #3010 on: July 23, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
Received my King Kong poster today, it's very nice!  :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3011 on: August 02, 2012, 01:55:09 PM »
Anyone bought this one this morning.  I wasn't going to, but since I was in front of the computer, I did, and I'm actually glad I did.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #3012 on: August 02, 2012, 05:25:47 PM »
Bought from a flipper, artist has potential to gain steam if Mondo uses them on a regular basis. They do very good work.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3013 on: August 02, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »
Cool design for the The Goonies print.  thumbup

Charlie

« Reply #3014 on: August 14, 2012, 07:56:14 AM »
Got my Dark Knight yesterday; rather disappointing to see 8331 of 9350 penciled on the bottom... And no golden ticket.  :'(  Plus it looks trimmed or smaller something; like on of those 11x17 prints you pick up at the move theaters for free.  I'm just going to give it to my daughter who is a bigger batman fan than I.  Overall the print quality is good for such a large run...

(Yeah, I know 'there is no winning you guys')

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #3015 on: August 14, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
Call me crazy, but it "feels" the print market is on a down slide.

guest8

« Reply #3016 on: August 14, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
Call me crazy, but it "feels" the print market is on a down slide.

Ive been thinking the same thing.. But Ive pulled away from the forums and stopped buying as much over the past month, so I thought it was just me not being "in the know" on what was all coming out and since I haven't been reading the forums as much i cant get caught up in the hype surrounding everything. But I have been considering selling off even more of my prints, but Id be hard torn to let any of my Ansins go even at this point. :)

Bruce

« Reply #3017 on: August 14, 2012, 02:14:38 PM »
Two things always mark the beginning of the downslide:
1) A TON of new product comes out, so much so that no one can buy it all.
2) Old-timers start getting out, and investors start getting in.

guest8

« Reply #3018 on: August 14, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »
If those are accurate I believe we have hit that point. The massive "exclusive" sales starting with Struzan's Thing was the mark of it all for me. Everyone that went bought both prints and immediately was trying to sell or trade both for older/way more valuable prints and totally shut out anyone that was truly interested unless we were willing to sever a limb. Which segued nicely into SDCC where so many exclusive prints were sold to "investors" who knew nothing about prints what-so-ever and damaged them due to a lack of knowledge on how to handle such paper. Which in reality made the prints harder to find (in good condition). Its all just a race for cash now. :(

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3019 on: August 15, 2012, 01:27:58 AM »
Well, I'm not there yet.  I bought 17 prints over the past month (my favs below), and judging from the craziness surrounding Mondo at SDCC, I think a lot of people are still into it.  A lot of new people too.  The quality is still there, IMO, and so am I.

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #3020 on: August 15, 2012, 08:31:41 AM »
Well, I'm not there yet.  I bought 17 prints over the past month (my favs below), and judging from the craziness surrounding Mondo at SDCC, I think a lot of people are still into it.  A lot of new people too.  The quality is still there, IMO, and so am I.

While I agree some of the posters are still great, the feel of this part of the hobby is changing. I believe that a good portion of that "craziness" that surrounded Mondo at SDCC was profiteers. Ive seen some unknown seller that had at least 4-5 Creature prints and sold them on ebay but damaged half of them because they were rolled incorrectly. not to mention the stories of collectors that have been in the scene for a bit, line jumping and then instantly looking to sell or trade and its sad to say that these kind of profiteers out number those of us who are actually collecting these things. Its not fun to collect these anymore especially when I know that I have no chance to get some of these with out finding the guy who was sneaky enough to snag 5-10 copies and is willing to sell to me at triple instead of 5x the original cost. It just sucks and if what Bruce said is true then I believe that the end is near. Not to say that if I see a print that I really "must have", that I wont try to get one but I am losing/have lost the passion for these prints and I'd guess that if I am feeling this way there some others are as well. Hence Dales comment about the down slide of print sales, more people selling than are buying anymore and I feel that that will effect this part of the hobby. Most likely in a negative way.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3021 on: August 16, 2012, 01:27:04 PM »
While I agree some of the posters are still great, the feel of this part of the hobby is changing. I believe that a good portion of that "craziness" that surrounded Mondo at SDCC was profiteers. Ive seen some unknown seller that had at least 4-5 Creature prints and sold them on ebay but damaged half of them because they were rolled incorrectly. not to mention the stories of collectors that have been in the scene for a bit, line jumping and then instantly looking to sell or trade and its sad to say that these kind of profiteers out number those of us who are actually collecting these things. Its not fun to collect these anymore especially when I know that I have no chance to get some of these with out finding the guy who was sneaky enough to snag 5-10 copies and is willing to sell to me at triple instead of 5x the original cost. It just sucks and if what Bruce said is true then I believe that the end is near. Not to say that if I see a print that I really "must have", that I wont try to get one but I am losing/have lost the passion for these prints and I'd guess that if I am feeling this way there some others are as well. Hence Dales comment about the down slide of print sales, more people selling than are buying anymore and I feel that that will effect this part of the hobby. Most likely in a negative way.

The end is near, apparently. Time to get to Costco or Sam's Club and stock the Y2K bunkers.

David, I hear your concern, but not sure what your surround your opinion with what makes much sense. Where to begin...

I had a buddy at CC pick up the Moss Mononoke print for me, who isn't a collector in the slightest, and he told me that the line and excitement surrounding the Mondo booth was great, and he could tell the genuine enthusiasm throughout collectors was like 7yr olds at Christmas. Sure there are flippers and such, but they have always been there, who cares. When tens of thousands of people are going for 250 prints, there will always be people who score, who miss out, who flip, etc.

People get caught up in the hype, get a print, then decide they aren't too keen on it and trade up. So what? You have done that several times, indirectly or directly.

Bruce forgot to mention that Mondo still sells out of prints each drop. Whether someone hates a given design, it still moves, so they are doing something right. I didn't like any of the prints today, but they still sold.

Biggest point is this:
Folks complain about Mondo not increasing the print runs/number of releases then when Mondo increases both (especially # of releases) people jump on the forum and bitch about it. So which is it?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:39:32 PM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3022 on: August 16, 2012, 01:49:57 PM »
I have been lucky to get everything I want so far.  I own about 260 prints, 15 of which I bought from flippers (so about 5%).  I think a lot of anger comes from collectors having to buy their prints from flippers, and I hear that in Dave's rhetoric.  I hate them too, and would probably be pretty pissed off if I had to buy more prints from those low life scavengers.  But I'm not surprised to see them there.  Mondo has become a golden goose, especially in this shaky economy.

To me, it's all about quality.  A lot of good stuff has been released over the past 2 months, a lot of bad stuff too (Whalen, anyone?  So sick of that dude.)  But as long as Mondo sprinkles some real poster art here and there (like Black Lagoon and Ansin's monsters), I don't see them disappearing anytime soon.

T
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:52:17 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3023 on: August 16, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »
Another thought:

Back in the day, especially pre-Star Wars series, the Mondo vets like us would pick up the majority of prints that came out...mostly for completest purposes (Dale) but also because they had like 1-2 prints a month.

With a drop each week, and sometimes more than one per week, it is overwhelming to get everything and can disillusion the seasoned vet (again, like Dale).

I agree with Thierry, that if you just pick up what you really, really like, you will be happy.
I personally love the latest ET, Iron Giant, and Mononoke prints...the rest I don't need, so I am over it.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3024 on: August 16, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Pick what you like and stop thinking about what it's worth.  Collect for the art and not the value.

T
My Personal Collection