Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538845 times)

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2950 on: July 13, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »
I agree. It doesn't suck IMO. 

I guess that is what eBay is for lol.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2951 on: July 13, 2012, 04:23:58 PM »
Damn, both King Kong and Creature are terrific!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2952 on: July 13, 2012, 04:56:21 PM »
Got Creature, Moss' Adventure, and a great Alien print by Egbert.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2953 on: July 13, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »
Greg Egbert?

guest8

« Reply #2954 on: July 13, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »
Greg Egbert?

Im assuming he meant Mark Englert

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2955 on: July 14, 2012, 04:10:03 PM »
Dammit, this is 2 now I am missing from exclusives to the Con, Creature I have been hoping for Ansin, but this aint to bad either!!

Now this is really a fantastic poster, IMO. No paint by numbers imagery, or something over-stylized. It has held true to original elements and just presented them in a new way. The creature looks amazing.

This gets a huge  sm1 from me.  Bravo!!

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2956 on: July 15, 2012, 03:44:59 AM »
Back from 2 days at Comic Con.

My favorite print:

T
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:19:36 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2957 on: July 15, 2012, 03:46:21 AM »
My 2nd favorite:

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2958 on: July 15, 2012, 03:48:17 AM »
Did anyone get "me" one of these from Comic Con?

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2959 on: July 15, 2012, 03:48:30 AM »
3rd...

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2960 on: July 15, 2012, 05:09:06 PM »
A few more prints I got from Comic Con...

T
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:41:25 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2961 on: July 15, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »
Looks like you scored some nice prints.  Hopefully the lines were not too terrible.

Gratz!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2962 on: July 15, 2012, 10:50:23 PM »

I'm really liking this Danger print.
Congrats on all.
 cheers

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2963 on: July 15, 2012, 10:58:46 PM »
They should have been using this 24 hour system for ALL prints.  It's the only fair way to sell these.  It would save thousands (millions?) of hours of dudes maniacally hitting "F5" on their keyboards, kill the bogus flipper market, ensure that everybody gets one, and prevent the inevitable collapse of prices in the future. ($2,500 for Akira?  The people who pay those crazy prices will be kicking themselves 2-3 years from now.) Plus it's still a "limited edition."

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:03:48 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #2964 on: July 15, 2012, 11:03:19 PM »
Still no chicks. Starting to worry about those guys in Austin...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2965 on: July 15, 2012, 11:15:35 PM »
My favorite print:

Seriously? I'm sure that it is difficult to find new ways to present 'The Batman', but this looks like a desperate attempt to include some clever in an overly pedestrian design...

The CftBL, LotR and GoT Danger (now that he's improved his stick-figures) are all better takes...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2966 on: July 15, 2012, 11:17:20 PM »
Looks like you scored some nice prints.  Hopefully the lines were not too terrible.

Gratz!

The lines were insane, but I always managed to be at the front.  It also made me realize that Mondo and the print market are not going anywhere any time soon.  This market is getting bigger and bigger all the time.  Hundreds of people were lining up without even knowing what they were lining up for.  Peopl of all ages, all backgrounds.  Stout, Ansin and Moss are the ones everyone is talking about.  I showed my collection to some people in line and they really looked like they were about to kill me :). What do you do for a living?  How come you can afford all these prints?  You are so lucky...  Blah blah blah.  Being exposed to all this craziness made me realize how sound Mondo's business plan is.  They basically own the market.  And it also made me realize how indispensable the flippers are to the whole plan.  Mondo and the flippers feed off each other.

More later.
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2967 on: July 15, 2012, 11:24:26 PM »
And it also made me realize how indispensable the flippers are to the whole plan.  Mondo and the flippers feed off each other.

No shit.  Are you just realizing this?  It's been this way since Goldfinger popped at Christie's...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2968 on: July 15, 2012, 11:43:29 PM »
I will tip my hat to Mondo for making one available to anyone who wants it.  I'm not a fan of this print, but there's a lot who like Moss's style and it's a chance for them to get one for cheap.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2969 on: July 16, 2012, 12:39:45 AM »
I will tip my hat to Mondo for making one available to anyone who wants it.  I'm not a fan of this print, but there's a lot who like Moss's style and it's a chance for them to get one for cheap.

It's actually super smart of them to only have 180 of these prints.  Every now and then, it raises awareness and creates new hype.  

One mistake, though. Word got out that the Moss Dark Knight was about to drop. 3 hours before it went on sale, people started lining up.  At some point, security had to tap the line because it was going all over.  350 people then assumed they were getting something, not knowing for sure what that something was.  But Mondo knew.  They knew they were only selling 140 prints.  Still, they kept the whole line waiting.  Lots of new people were being turned away by security, comforting the people in line.  Then it dropped.  People were getting excited.  Much more than for any other drop.  There was shouting and clapping.  1/2 an hour later, half the crowd was informed that they would not get the print.  I thought it was uncool.  Some people got really upset.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:31:33 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2970 on: July 16, 2012, 07:28:33 AM »
They should have been using this 24 hour system for ALL prints.

I agree, but I think it would hurt them in the long run. Generally speaking, I think there's two types of collectors: 

1) Those that collect these prints because they like the films and the art primarily (like most on here who collect posters)

2) Those that collect these prints because they're addicted to the next big release and the buzz that comes with beating others to it and owning something that has (sometimes) doubled in value overnight. Over at ebeans, you see it a helluva a lot...the must have print comes out, people are fighting and screaming for it, then a couple of weeks later, it's all over the classifieds and forgotten about as something else has come out.

Unfortunately, I think the second group of collectors is much larger and timed releases would kill off the demand from this group after a while.

I'm pleased they're doing a timed release and I think I'll get one as I like the print.

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2971 on: July 16, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »
The lines were insane, but I always managed to be at the front.  It also made me realize that Mondo and the print market are not going anywhere any time soon.  This market is getting bigger and bigger all the time.  Hundreds of people were lining up without even knowing what they were lining up for.  People of all ages, all backgrounds. . .  Being exposed to all this craziness made me realize how sound Mondo's business plan is.  They basically own the market.  And it also made me realize how indispensable the flippers are to the whole plan.  Mondo and the flippers feed off each other.

My problem with the whole thing is, in order to support the prices and the cachet of the posters, the market for them needs to keep growing.  There needs to be a steady stream of poster collectors that come in an say, Oh man, that Tyler Stout is amazing.  Oh I love that Martin Ansin poster. Then wonder what else he has done, and go try to acquire it.

When Mondo started, they were really the only game in town. Now there is Galley 1988, Alien Corset, the Colony and countless others in the market.  They are still the biggest and the best when it comes to the properties and licensing deals they have access to.  The artists that they work with are very talented.  Rob Jones and the the rest of the Mondo crew have done a great job of cultivating and promoting the talent, but now they compete with themselves with the Mondo gallery.  Mondo alone had 77 releases including variants before Comicon.  Adding the gallery to the mix probably takes this total to greater than 100.  When you factor in all the other competitors, the "limited" movie print release market is huge.

If your fortunate to buy the poster when it drops, who cares.  If price is $30 or $40 or $50, not a big deal.  However, I missed the Struzan Thing drop with work travel.  I have the original rolled OS, but would like the print. Why?  I am a Struzan fan. I love the Struzan Frankenstein print.  It is amazing.  What should I do?  

I can't touch the regular for less than $350 and the variant for $600 on the secondary market.  If I am going to spend that kind of money, I would like to believe that the value is going to hold steady.  Maybe for that one . . . who knows?  For others, I just don't believe the current market prices can be justified over the long term.  Maybe they can be for some of the Stout and Ansin and Moss Star Wars or Evil Dead items, but can anyone honestly say a large number of people will be chasing, for example, a Whalen Hawkeye for $125 or more in a few years?  ( Someone is trying to sell one for $179.  That must be the Cinemasterpieces of the print business on eBay ;D )
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=hawkeye+whalen&_sacat=0

With so many posters, if they cannot maintain the cachet of collecting them, I think Mondo will suffer.  If that happens and the values start to decrease, then most of the newer people in the market, who are fickle, will stop.  I agree with most of what Tob suggested as I see it on eBeans all the time.  It looks like Mel and Holiday have already come to this conclusion.  Anyone else feel the same way?

I don't want this to seem like I am down on Mondo, or want to stop collecting their stuff.  I am a huge fan.  They obviously have a lot of fans out there too as evidenced by T's Comicon report.  I am just on the fence about some things.

And BTW. I like the timed Moss release idea for limited prints.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:21:28 PM by jpicken »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #2972 on: July 17, 2012, 03:50:21 AM »
They should have been using this 24 hour system for ALL prints.  It's the only fair way to sell these.  It would save thousands (millions?) of hours of dudes maniacally hitting "F5" on their keyboards, kill the bogus flipper market, ensure that everybody gets one, and prevent the inevitable collapse of prices in the future. ($2,500 for Akira?  The people who pay those crazy prices will be kicking themselves 2-3 years from now.) Plus it's still a "limited edition."

The Comic Con one is selling for over $500 on eBay.  One actually sold for only a little under $1,000, not sure why someone very impatient spent an extra $500!  Crazy people. Someone just foolishly paid for someone's entire Comic Con weekend!  I guess I ought to start going to these and just stand in front of Mondo's booth and buy everything they have and then sell it for 10 times more the next day.  Glad to hear it's getting a release online though, but not digging the smaller size and the 24 hour free for all, that kinda defeats the purpose.  I liked knowing when I bought a Mondo print is was pretty much automatically worth double what I paid for it 30 minutes later, makes you feel like you just made a solid investment, with 24 hours they'll probably sell a few thousand, wonder if they'll at least number them...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:58:56 AM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2973 on: July 17, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »
Hopefully the smaller unlimited run will bring the prices in on the con version. I love the print. Mondo had a great week, one of the better stretches of prints they have had.

I used to buy every print they put out, now they simply release too much, so I have started to get a bit more selective.

guest8

« Reply #2974 on: July 17, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »
I just posted this on EB .. Thought Id toss if up here for you guys as well .. Its not all Mondo but a lot of it is.

Quote from: fallenangel1
So I have an AC tech comeing to my house in about 4 hrs to change the AC compressor and is going to be charging me $1,000 for the job :( Im hoping to make $1k by hooking people up today .. and if I some how end up with a free Vania that would be cool too ;)

$75 + shipping, this is the original cost +shipping .. So Im losing a little here.

$80 + shipping, this is the original cost +shipping .. So Im losing a little here too.

$30 + shipping, this is the original cost +shipping .. So Im losing a little here too too.

$150 + shipping.

$99 + shipping matching the lowest price sold.

$40 + shipping, I will be including an AP Variant copy with the regular version on this as well. So this is the price for 2 prints.

$70 + shipping

$40 + shipping, this is the original cost +shipping.

$75 + shipping

$40 + shipping, matching the lowest price.

$50 + shipping, this is for the variant and only $5 above cost!

$150 + shipping

$125 + shipping

If you dont like what you see here check out my trades and let me know if theres anything you like there. :)