Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538713 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2875 on: June 21, 2012, 04:54:29 AM »
At what point do we step back and say that Mondo really has sold out, and that it's lost touch with where it came from?  We all stand here and give them credibility by even talking about their stuff, but they are doing nothing but laughing all the way to the bank, basically printing money with every release they drop.  In the old days, Mondo did a great service by adding to the artistic community, doing cool movie showings and matching them up with cool prints for the people that were really into it.  Now, they've reached the point of not even deigning to create something worthwhile, and instead just reprinting something that was already done.

I mean, IT'S A REPRINT!

Anyone could do what Mondo is doing now.  They've lost their cool factor, even though they still go around wearing dark t-shirts and trying to act bohemian.

In a word, Mondo has become pedantic.  

I think you're being much too harsh on them Holiday.  Movie art and movie artists get very little respect in the art world. Even Thierry says he won't display his posters because movie poster art is derivative.  Dwight Cleveland says he can't give his collection away to art museums because of art world snobbery. So I'd say that Mondo is properly promoting the "art" of movie posters by selling high-quality prints of previously-used movie art like Struzan's "The Thing" AND by selling high-quality prints of unused concept art like Struzan's Frankenstein.  And why shouldn't Struzan get some compensation for his work?  And IMHO Mondo has not "sold out."  They still sell most of their prints well below market value and in fewer numbers than market demand, so they're turning away easy money.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:58:08 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

guest8

« Reply #2876 on: June 21, 2012, 07:43:30 AM »
I still love the whole whole movie print phenom .. So anyone looking to unload their Mondo prints shot me  a list with prices and Ill see if i can help you pass them along to a good home ;)

Charlie

« Reply #2877 on: June 21, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »
I don't think print run has to do with anything... But where I think Holiday is going with "money grab" is that you had Struzan basically make a copy of his original work.  What is the point of that?  But 'Mondonians' are going to buy it no matter what even when you can get the original probably for less...  Makes no sense.  Now if Drew had done a completely different artwork... 

With some of the drops it seems like Mondo is simply trying to capitalize on the 'mondonian' mentality of: "anything Mondo is worthy"...  But the crap that has been spewing from Austin lately is not worthy.  So either you guys have lost your edge; I mean, are there any new artists to talk about?  Nope.  Then lets hire the 'Paul McCartney' of movie poster art to have him re render his original art???  Why because all originality has dried up in Austin?  No because you know that you will get a good return...  Make business sense. 

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2878 on: June 21, 2012, 09:59:57 AM »

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2879 on: June 21, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »
From the fact that both Frank and now The Thing are not new Struzan creations, I imagine he's either very expensive or very hard to commission to do new work. It would be cool if he'd created a new piece (one of his classic collages perhaps) for The Thing, but it sounds like the likely hood of him doing that is pretty small.

I think I'd buy one at the source price as I think it's a classic image, signed by the artist and a screen print on nice paper is a very different beast to a mass produced film poster, but as I live in the UK, the likelyhood of getting one at an affordable price is zero!

I applaud Mondo for increasing the edition number, I hope that trend continues.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2880 on: June 21, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »
You are on quite a rant.

So, let me get this straight....we print smaller editions and the entire internet explodes in a fury that our posters are too hard to get. We print a larger edition (albeit on one of the most popular movie poster images of all time) and we are accused of selling out and money grabbing. Starting to get the feeling we can't win here?

This isn't a straight reprint. We worked directly with Drew to reproduce his original painting as a screenprint. He oversaw the crop, the size, the color guide, the printing, etc, etc. Remember, this is a guy that works with almost no one, so we're incredibly honored.

And PS, if I had to pop in here everytime you were unhappy with us, I'd almost never be able to leave.

Yes, it is a rant, and I'm allowed.  And you know, it's not a matter of being unhappy. It's a matter of being disappointed.  Mondo started out as something really cool.  It's no longer cool. 

You're entitled, Mitch, and I don't begrudge you that.  But, when I see you guys doing nothing more than a REPRINT, it's pretty sad.  Has nothing to do with the size of the edition.  It has everything to do with charging 250 for a reprint.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2881 on: June 21, 2012, 11:05:51 AM »
I still love the whole whole movie print phenom .. So anyone looking to unload their Mondo prints shot me  a list with prices and Ill see if i can help you pass them along to a good home ;)
Cabbage Patch kids were a phenomenon.

Limited edition coins were a phenomenon.

Collector plates.

Beanie Babies.

All the manufacturers made money, and in the end, every collector lost money chasing the newest craze.

$250 for a REPRINT is just nuts.

If Mondo wanted to do a reprint, why not do one of this.  It was never widely circulated. It would benefit the community to have it in a wider release.  It's Struzan.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2882 on: June 21, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »
Now, that would be a kick-ass Mondo print.
Might even convince me to jump into the fray...

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2883 on: June 21, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »
boy, the two new ones for "Night of the Hunter" & "The Old Dark House" really suck balls.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2884 on: June 21, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »

Gotta agree with Louie.
What's the matter with these Mondo artists?
Except for Ansin, they don't seem to have any love for the classics.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2885 on: June 21, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »

Gotta agree with Louie.
What's the matter with these Mondo artists?
Except for Ansin, they don't seem to have any love for the classics.

Both of these--especially OLD DARK HOUSE, yet more  spew

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER looks like a student art project (especially the hands) and ODH appears as if the artist was given 25 minutes to come up with something.

Again, very uninspired, IMO.

-Jeff

mcnail

« Reply #2886 on: June 21, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »
I mean, are there any new artists to talk about?  Nope. 

Do you really want me to run through the archive and count how many new artists we've used in the past year?

I get it, some of you guys just aren't going to like what we do no matter what. I've learned to accept that.

Charlie

« Reply #2887 on: June 21, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »
Do you really want me to run through the archive and count how many new artists we've used in the past year?

I get it, some of you guys just aren't going to like what we do no matter what. I've learned to accept that.

I meant new 'good' artists...worth talking about.  Not floating head Hollywood crap....

Hey Mitch, I am not trying to knock Mondo.  You guys have done a great job..  You've simply established Austin as the screen print Mecca...  However, I think it would be prudent for you guys to figure out how to take it to the next level... Because eventually others will catch you....  Maybe some different sizes or have some of the artist dabble in foreign languages.  You guys never do any 'girl' posters good lord show some skin or beauties from the 50s/60s...  That last Ansin print was amazing for its simplicity...   I think we may be getting caught up in the latest crap...  And what the heck is up with that rocky poster... Did that guy even watch the movie?  Eye of the tiger, eye of the tiger; not an 'Alien'-like boxing glove through the mouth of the tiger... WTF?

Look at this as a challenge...  Now, I am no die-hard Mondonian I sold off my Franky for love of Natalie Portman and African Queen  - I hate drops because even though I am in Houston - I never get to the checkout. Plus lately I would rather buy originals...

You need to get one of your guys to do a print of Natalie in the strip club from Closer with her blue hair...  That would sell out; I might even have to pick that one up from a flipper.  I think your guys just need some ideas to stay fresh.

You should start a poster idea thread or something...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:59:03 PM by Charlie »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2888 on: June 21, 2012, 03:03:53 PM »
All you can do is keep going,who knows,the next print you produce could be a jaw dropper that makes everyone forget all this critique at the moment.
I have never bought anything from Mondo,I have never been able to understand what all the fuss was about until recently,I understand now that one of the main buying points was the exclusivity factor of some of the wonderful screenings Mondo Cinema does,we have nothing like this in the UK but if we did,I would probably be as ardent a buyer as some here.
From a third party perspective it does seem that there is no rhyme or reason for some of the prints released (unless I`m not getting it)..fair enough.
Forums like apf and eb are just filled with the most vocal of buyers,here,there,we can say what we want..I wouldn`t advise changing a business model on anyone`s opinion..

My 2 cents.

Stew

mcnail

« Reply #2889 on: June 21, 2012, 06:28:17 PM »
I think your guys just need some ideas to stay fresh.

You need to get one of your guys to do a print of Natalie in the strip club from Closer with her blue hair...  That would sell out; I might even have to pick that one up from a flipper.  

Not even sure what to say here. Perhaps you should start your own poster company if not producing something like this equals losing our edge.

Charlie

« Reply #2890 on: June 21, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
Not even sure what to say here. Perhaps you should start your own poster company if not producing something like this equals losing our edge.

You never seem to know what to say.  How but "thanks", "that's an ass of an idea", or "go fuck yourself"...  And why when people get defensive, do they always want you to go start your own thing...  Man, I've heard that a lot.  Just another example of Mondonian elitism...  I was just throwing out something a potential customer wouldn't mind seeing.  And yes, since you were a hawkeye business hack, even you should know every customer is important. I mean that is why they pulled you away from the motherland right?  To make Mondo cool to potential customer? So if people are not thinking stuff is cool, then yes Mondo is losing...

I mean what?; are all Mondo artists a bunch of who only like drawing male superheros... I've yet to see some T&A out of Mondo's shop...  So is a scantily clad Natalie Portman such a bad idea?

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2891 on: June 21, 2012, 08:50:17 PM »
You're getting funnier and funnier, Charlie.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2892 on: June 21, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
For Charlie, who makes funny.

THE END

Charlie

« Reply #2893 on: June 21, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
For Charlie, who makes funny.

THE END

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #2894 on: June 21, 2012, 10:29:35 PM »
cool is in the eye of the beholder.
And regardless I am sure the folks that own mondo would rather be rich than cool.
And I would assume they are doing what they believe will be the best for their company.
Mondos commercial prints were never "cool" IMHO.
But then what do I know about cool? nada.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2895 on: June 22, 2012, 12:47:05 AM »

There's something about Natalie that I really, really like.

I just can't quite put my finger on it though...

(That restraining order keeps me at a distance.)

(drum roll)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2896 on: June 22, 2012, 12:56:32 AM »
Not sure where to even begin with all of this, seems like I dropped in at a fun time.
Kinda overwhelmed about what to even address, but let me try:

Holiday, two things...
First, I know how frustrated you are that you cannot just pop in on the Mondo site and purchase at will the prints you want like the old days.
Since the Star Wars license, Mondo has a bigger audience, and thus competition is high and fierce to get these.
'Cool' is what you mean by grabbing the Ansin Metropolis at your leisure when it sat there for weeks and weeks, 'uncool' is that you sat there and played the F5 game as of late and lost and are frustrated...that is what is really going on here. Your broad sweeping strokes of 'uncool' and whatever other negative adjectives you heap towards Mondo as of late is laden with bitterness because you couldn't get the prints you wanted over the past year or so (with ease, anyway), but its like that for everyone so now we get you playing the 'I'm taking my ball home/selling my Mondo prints so there' card. In other words, you are being a brat, and an entitled one at that.

Second, your choice word of 'reprint' on the Struzan Thing is a bit silly and downright wrong, especially by the Movie Poster ONLY Boys Club rhetoric that you have sworn by since the MPF days. This is a licensed screen print and is an art print at that. The Thing poster they sold in a bookstore by campus back in the day was a reprint. Yes the image been used before, but by the terminology that we have used for years around here its not a 'reprint' because this particular art piece was never done this way at all (dimensions, screens, run, etc...) before save the original painting by Drew.

Mel, you are essentially spot on with your post here earlier...it actually feels good for me to type that, so thank you.

Charlie, I think the fumes from your linen-backing apprentice/Padawan duties have done a number on your brain as of late.
Do some laundry. Get outside.

Generally, and more importantly, if folks loathe Mondo....why continuously post in this thread?
I know posters and this poster forum with its fraternity is what gets some of you up in the morning, but to not collect in this niche of movie/art paper and repeatedly say the same thing over and over for no reason is really amazing...in a bad way.

There are areas of movie posters I do not collect or enjoy, but would never think to go shit all over some thread about it. It is nerdy enough that I peruse a poster forum from time to time...to go out of my way to post the redundant and worthless sentiment that I hate a particular subsection of the hobby...well, that is the the 7th circle of Nerd-hell, IMO.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:04:10 AM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2897 on: June 22, 2012, 01:02:22 AM »
Wonka is wise in the ways of science.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2898 on: June 22, 2012, 01:16:16 AM »
Wonka is wise in the ways of science.

Well, how about some Math* as well?

Out of the 4,074 threads on this entire forum, this thread re: Mondo has the 3rd most amount of views, and is very close to second most:

Post-Auction thread - 86964
Mid-Auction thread - 77759
Mondo - 77484

It has the second most amount of replies on the entire forum, and could even take over the top spot:

Post-auction - 3046
Mondo - 2897
Mid-auction - 2856

*Data obviously taken at time of this post.

But the bottom will fall out on these, and these are just like Beanie Babies, and OMG the art sucks so bad!!
Maybe this place should be renamed the All Mondo Forum. Or maybe the All Closet Mondo Fan Forum.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:23:52 AM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #2899 on: June 22, 2012, 01:18:16 AM »
Who likes Burtathon?
An Error Has Occurred!