Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539048 times)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2850 on: June 14, 2012, 12:02:01 AM »
I am going to make a run on something in the Heritage's Signature auction next month, if that happens to come through, I am going to dump some of my high end prints as well to cover the cost.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2851 on: June 14, 2012, 12:58:52 AM »
I'm curious.  What has made you  -- like some others -- abandon these nickel-and-dime, faux movie posters?
Ooops.  Maybe I answered my own question?
Seriously, why ditch them at this point?

Trying to make my collecting self-sufficient, and they just aren't my core area of collecting.  There are a few handfuls of the prints that I really like, and some that do fit with my core collecting, but most do not.  I got into the craze of it, and thankfully I got out of it pretty quickly. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2852 on: June 14, 2012, 01:00:16 AM »
I like both the E.T.`s too,although I`m not sure which I would buy..
Khan is indeed interesting,but not for me..

Stew

Sometimes I look at a pile if dung and think it looks interesting....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2853 on: June 14, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »
Sorry!  I'm now trying to pay for new by selling old.  Im tired of the prints.  There's a few I want to keep, but most will go.  Soooooo... Of there's anything else from my collection you're interested in, let me know ( this goes for all if you).

Serious.

Hehehehe, no worries - nice one for selling it at such a fair price  :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2854 on: June 14, 2012, 07:24:44 AM »
Hehehehe, no worries - nice one for selling it at such a fair price  :)

The suspense is killing me..
Which print did paper-hoarder Holiday let slip out of his iron grip?
 pcorn

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2855 on: June 14, 2012, 07:54:27 AM »
The suspense is killing me..
Which print did paper-hoarder Holiday let slip out of his iron grip?
 pcorn

Hey Ted, it was the Struzan Frankenstein. I couldn't have afforded it anyway, but I can dream :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2856 on: June 14, 2012, 08:08:40 AM »
Struzan's FRANKENSTEIN?
Easily my favorite of all of these art-print thingies....
Someday (when he starts watching classic horror), Charlie will be kicking himself for selling off his copy.

Charlie

« Reply #2857 on: June 14, 2012, 10:13:06 AM »
Maybe, but I would have always kicked for passing on the Black Swan B1 and African Queen when I had the chance. I imagine the Black Swan B1s should be drying up and will only come around again when a collector sells. Right now I don't miss the Franky but am thoroughly enjoying what I got in its place... 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2858 on: June 14, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
More "stuff" being released tomorrow.

ET by Dan McCarthy

Got the 2 ETs.  I really like them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2859 on: June 15, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
Maybe, but I would have always kicked for passing on the Black Swan B1 and African Queen when I had the chance. I imagine the Black Swan B1s should be drying up and will only come around again when a collector sells. Right now I don't miss the Franky but am thoroughly enjoying what I got in its place... 

Given the choice between this print and the Struzan art that he did for Pan's Labyrinth, I'd take the poster over the the print any day, any time.  I like real movie paper, not the prints.  I guess that's why I'm happy to let go the movie prints, but I'm tending to hold on to the non-movie prints that I have. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Charlie

« Reply #2860 on: June 20, 2012, 12:30:05 PM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2861 on: June 20, 2012, 01:02:42 PM »
Still available....

http://www.mondotees.com/The-Unholy-Three_p_503.html

And I'm sure it will be for a while. Truly a very poorly designed poster, IMO.

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #2862 on: June 20, 2012, 01:52:13 PM »
I dont think anyone can hate on this ... ;)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2863 on: June 20, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »
  thumbup

Stew

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2864 on: June 20, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »
I dont think anyone can hate on this ... ;)

Not so fast......

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2865 on: June 20, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
It's cool, but I have a rolled one sheet which I prefer as it has the films title and credits. I bet it'd look nice screened onto some good paper though.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2866 on: June 20, 2012, 07:56:46 PM »
Poster v. print showdown!    

gun1 gun2

Proportional sizes below....

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:57:13 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2867 on: June 21, 2012, 12:01:19 AM »
It's just the latest and greatest Mondo Money Grab.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:01:52 AM by holiday »
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Charlie

« Reply #2868 on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:18 AM »
money grab

clap clap clap clap clap

Someone had to say it! Mondo has sold out...

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2869 on: June 21, 2012, 12:29:57 AM »
clap clap clap clap clap

Someone had to say it! Mondo has sold out...

Really.  And the pics of Struzan standing there autographing the prints - the man's gotta be saying "free money!".  It's ridiculous.

Years ago, I was at a reading being held for Latin American authors, including Octavio Paz who is renowned as one of the best Latin American poets of all time.  He was reading one of his new works, and I tell you, it made absolutely no sense at all.  It was indecipherable to me, and I'm a pretty sharp guy.  Yet, when he was done, everyone in the theater stood up in a roar of a standing ovation, as if they heard G-d himself speak the words.  I know that I was not the only person there who thought it was nonsensical, and it dawned on me that everyone liked to stand up and clap as if they knew what was going on, so that they themselves could look smart and pretend that they understood by lavishing great praise.

At what point do we step back and say that Mondo really has sold out, and that it's lost touch with where it came from?  We all stand here and give them credibility by even talking about their stuff, but they are doing nothing but laughing all the way to the bank, basically printing money with every release they drop.  In the old days, Mondo did a great service by adding to the artistic community, doing cool movie showings and matching them up with cool prints for the people that were really into it.  Now, they've reached the point of not even deigning to create something worthwhile, and instead just reprinting something that was already done.

I mean, IT'S A REPRINT!

Anyone could do what Mondo is doing now.  They've lost their cool factor, even though they still go around wearing dark t-shirts and trying to act bohemian.

In a word, Mondo has become pedantic.  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:34:26 AM by holiday »
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2870 on: June 21, 2012, 12:31:49 AM »
BTW, has anyone noticed that the only prints I'm selling off are the Mondo stuff?  Wonder why?  Well, there it is.  I said it.  Now Mitch can come and whine how this isn't fair. That is, if he even cares any longer that he's sold out, is no longer cool, and is now Corporate.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:34:15 AM by holiday »
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Charlie

« Reply #2871 on: June 21, 2012, 12:35:43 AM »
BTW, has anyone noticed that the only prints I'm selling off are the Mondo stuff?  Wonder why?  Well, there it is.  I said it.  Now Mitch can come and whine how this isn't fair. That is, if he even cares any longer that he's sold out, is no longer cool, and is now Corporate.

Might as well sell them now before the bottom drops out...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2872 on: June 21, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
I got some for sale. Keep putting it off.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

mcnail

« Reply #2873 on: June 21, 2012, 01:52:35 AM »

You are on quite a rant.

So, let me get this straight....we print smaller editions and the entire internet explodes in a fury that our posters are too hard to get. We print a larger edition (albeit on one of the most popular movie poster images of all time) and we are accused of selling out and money grabbing. Starting to get the feeling we can't win here?

This isn't a straight reprint. We worked directly with Drew to reproduce his original painting as a screenprint. He oversaw the crop, the size, the color guide, the printing, etc, etc. Remember, this is a guy that works with almost no one, so we're incredibly honored.

And PS, if I had to pop in here everytime you were unhappy with us, I'd almost never be able to leave.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2874 on: June 21, 2012, 02:08:02 AM »
haha welcome to the world of collectors.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!