Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538718 times)

Charlie

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2675 on: April 22, 2012, 08:35:19 AM »
I say just auction them off for the entire day and take the top number of bids for the drop. That way everyone gets a shot and it might deter flippers...

Bruce

« Reply #2676 on: April 22, 2012, 08:43:08 AM »
fallenangel1

You're right. I WOULD like to announce that at 10:10 exactly, everyone will be kicked off. That way, everyone would know to try to connect exactly at 10:10, and the first 450 who get on would have a chance of getting those 100 prints. If you aren't on within a couple of minutes, you would know you are not one of the 450 and can decide if you just want to give up, thus only spending a couple of minutes at the computer.

But here's the problem with that. If all 450 enter the shopping cart at the same time, it becomes next to impossible to accurately make the items sold out the moment the last one is ordered, so that means some fair number will THINK they got items that are now oversold. And then we would have to contact them after to tell them they did not actually get what they thought they got (I understand this is/was a big Mondo problem).

Which is better? Spending less time at your computer but maybe getting a "false positive" or spending more time there but knowing that if you got it, you really got it?

Bruce

Charlie

« Reply #2677 on: April 22, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »
I say just auction them off for the entire day and take the top number of bids for the drop. That way everyone gets a shot and it might deter flippers...

Let everyone put in a max bid and if you get it then you get it if not you better bid higher next time...

Bruce

« Reply #2678 on: April 22, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »
Charlie

Everyone wants a system where they surely get one at a cheap price, AND where the print run is limited, so they quickly show a big profit!

Bruce

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2679 on: April 22, 2012, 02:42:06 PM »
I do think the run sizes could probably be increased for big releases - there's so much demand these days that prints of a run size of 750+ would still sell out in under 5 minutes for a big title/artist combo.

I understand that keeping the prints limited and the hype of a scarce print which is hugely in demand is magic in terms of generating interest, but I think the demand has got to a point where potential new customers (who for example don't know that if they wait for the tweet, it's often too late), will just say "these are impossible to get, count me out".

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2680 on: April 22, 2012, 05:25:19 PM »
My problem with mondo is pretty simple.  I bought close to every print from '06 or so to '09.  But, I simply do not have the ability to wait for drops.  Where I work there is an area where cell phones are allowed but do not function due to our faraday cage of a building.  The rest of the building, cell phones are not allowed.  Mondo is blocked by the firewall on our office machines.  And, I don't have the dough to pay flipper prices.  So, while I do like much of what they offer, my life will not let me sit around and press F5 for hours.  Hell, it won't even let me load the page up once let alone multiple times.

Given all that, I doubt this part of my collection will grow much more.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2681 on: April 22, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »
I've voiced my pain on these drops many times...the timing of this is ridiculous for those of us in this part of the world, but I get the vast majority of the market is in the US so, who cares about us.

Like Schan, I loved the drops back in the day when Tim was there...too easy and at a reasonable hour.  But again, I understand demand has moved on from there.

Over it big time.  After Leagues, resigned to the fact that if there is anything I want they release, I will have to pay after market prices.
Ves

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2682 on: April 22, 2012, 07:22:08 PM »
I've voiced my pain on these drops many times...the timing of this is ridiculous for those of us in this part of the world, but I get the vast majority of the market is in the US so, who cares about us.

Actually, the timing is for those in the UK (aka the biggest whiners).  The early morning drops do no favors for those of us on the west coast, although it is nothing compared to the down under time slot.  Mixing it up a bit would only be fair...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2683 on: April 25, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »
I bought my Nightmare Before Christmas print from a restaurant in Morocco!

:)
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #2684 on: April 25, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »
LOL .. Pass for me .. No love for NBC..

guest8

« Reply #2685 on: April 25, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »
Heres this weeks releases !!!

Quote from: fallenangel1
Ok So to put some of the info all together ..

Thursday release
Captain America by PCC for $45
24x36 ed of 340
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/underwire/2012/04/AVENGERS_captain_america_mondo1-660x990.jpg

Hulk Ken Taylor $45
24x36 ed of 320
http://cf.badassdigest.com/_uploads/images/hulk%20mondo.jpg

Friday Release
Thor by Ansin Reg $45
24x36 ed. of 395
http://images.fandango.com/MDCsite/images/featured/201204/thor-mondo-poster.jpg

Thor Variant $75
24x36 ed or 120
No Pic Yet

Iron Man Reg $45
24x36 ed. of 345
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17kngmqhkj0gijpg/medium.jpg

Iron Man Variant $75
24x36 ed of 120
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17kngmqhq2098jpg/medium.jpg

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2686 on: April 25, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
Thor is the clear winner there...  Really not a fan of the others, including the Taylor Hulk...

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #2687 on: April 25, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
Agreed Archie. Another cracking Ansin!
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2688 on: April 25, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »
Ansin can do no wrong.
Easily Mondo's best artist.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2689 on: April 25, 2012, 08:05:34 PM »
Thor is the clear winner there...  Really not a fan of the others, including the Taylor Hulk...

All things considered, you are going a bit easy on these, to be fair.

None really stand out at all, although Ansin can flat out draw, and he nailed his as you point out.

With each piece, you could close your eyes and envision each given material with the general style of the artist, and you would be pretty close to reality.

Regardless, this is what I said on EB:

Thoughts:::

Not really into the Avenger series, but hope you all get what you want come drop time for sure.

The Moss piece, for me, is leagues better than any other Avenger piece to date. I think what hurts this set is how the artists typically took a literal (unoriginal/bland) approach, whereas Moss went a more inspired route and thus what could have been stale to something original and fresh.

Phantom City is solid here, like the framing of the piece, but still...give me the Moss Cap set from last year...took the same approach with the added creative flair of vintage propaganda posters. Moss is just designing at another level, plain and simple.

That being said, if you are going to be so literal, you better damn well hit a home run and NAIL it, which is exactly what Ansin did. As usual.
Cannot picture hanging a Thor print in my house for any reason, but if I did it would be this one.
Also, comparing this to the Taylor Thor last year is apples and oranges...just interesting to see. Ansin is another level as Mitch points out.

Big fan of Taylor, but feel he swung and missed on this. He is responsible for what I would consider top tier Mondo: Poltergeist, Drive, 20,000 Leagues but sometimes delivers stuff I would call mediocre at best: Hulk, Thor, Beneath Apes, Clash of the Titans, etc. He is like that baseball player who either hits home runs or strikes out, generally. But when he hits it, it goes a long way.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2690 on: April 26, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »
The Moss piece, for me, is leagues better than any other Avenger piece to date. I think what hurts this set is how the artists typically took a literal (unoriginal/bland) approach, whereas Moss went a more inspired route and thus what could have been stale to something original and fresh.

I wouldn't say the Moss is particularly original or fresh - smoke forming a shape? To my eyes, the trigger guard on the gun is too big too (or the handle is too short). And the tagline is pretty rubbish too. Perhaps I'm being harsh! Just my thoughts. At least it has credits and it's nicely executed.

I think the set is ok, Captain America is pretty good and so is Thor. It won't make me open my wallet though. If someone (Stout?) does a poster for the film with a title and credits and it looks nice, I'll give that a shot instead.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:10:52 AM by Tob »

guest8

« Reply #2691 on: April 26, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »
Well todays drop was a nightmare .. I posted this on EB .. Thoughts..  opinions?

Quote from: fallenangel1
I dont know guys, Ive said it before .. but I think Im serious this time .. I think Im going to stop trying for Mondo drops. Its crazy hard and I cant just be skipping hours of work for nothing. If I was getting a print or two here or there Id justify it to myself. But seriously .. I was there the instant Hulk went up and snagged CA too and I even had a gift card and I never locked up I just got out of stock notices. I cant imagine what tomorrow will be like with 4 prints dropping. I guess this is just one more old timer hanging up his spurs. I will just have to resort to buying from flippers from here on out.

Congrats to those who made it though though I know thats a great feeling!

I may just be eating sour apples today and back on board in a couple weeks .. But I honestly feel that I have ZERO shot at getting any of these Marvel prints. Which sucks because I think they may look cool with my Marvel theater posters! :(

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2692 on: April 26, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
I actually got both today which is the first ones I have been able to buy in what seems like ages.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2693 on: April 26, 2012, 02:42:35 PM »
Tob, I use terms like clean/fresh/new etc...with the Moss BW when compared to other Mondo, not posters or art in general.

Fallen, so see you tomorrow then?

Dale, congrats...always good to see the grizzled vets come through these days.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #2694 on: April 26, 2012, 02:52:41 PM »

Fallen, so see you tomorrow then?

LOL .. Probably .. Im really trying to decide what I want to do for tomorrow though.. Obviously Thor is everyones favorite, for the moment. But I would love the Iron Mans as well... BUT .. If everyone is going for a Thor Variant I may be able to get through with a regular.. But the way the site is acting Im pretty sure if I do that I wouldn't be able to get through the slow loading pages to try and get the IM print(s)... But back to my sour apples .. I may just say forget it .. I spent over an hour with my office door locked and not answering the phone just so I would be on todays drop the second the prints popped up and look what good that did me, I didnt get any prints and Im behind on what I need to get done at work. If its going to end in failure every time I may as well just go about my day and wait 6 months and hope none of these hit sky high prices. But if any do hit sky high prices Im too much of a cheap skate to pay the prices so Ill forever be without them in my collection. I hate my hobby!! :P

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #2695 on: April 27, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
Server melt down and not even close to drop time yet, this is interesting!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #2696 on: April 27, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »
sites smokin now, must of got a config change by the host!

Charlie

« Reply #2697 on: April 27, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »
Yeah they changed the address a few minutes ago; drop soon? A hat?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:39:42 AM by Charlie »

Charlie

« Reply #2698 on: April 27, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »
A Hat Gone...

Charlie

« Reply #2699 on: April 27, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
This is insanity;  Something about doing the same thing pushing "F5" and expecting a different result...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:16:18 PM by Charlie »