Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538690 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2575 on: March 22, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »
You might be right, Charlie, but by the same token, 99% of Mondo stuff is better than today's photoshopped movie posters.  It took me a while to understand that although not technically movie posters, their stuff is a direct continuation of the movie posters of yesteryears, you know, the real movie posters.

T

Well written summative assessment here, Thierry.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2576 on: March 22, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »
I truly believe that, which is why I'm so critical of the crap they put out sometimes.  They positioned themselves as the true heir of hand drawn movie posters and as such have some pretty big shoes to fill.  Without even talking about the great masters of the past, the Alvins, Struzans, Casaros, Amsels or Sciotis of recent years are some tough acts to follow.  There are tons of great starving artists out there, there is no time for complaisance, especially when they work on great titles so dear to most of us to diminishing results.

T

PS: This said, they've done pretty fucking good this year.  Some nice stuff out there.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:43:29 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #2577 on: March 23, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »
I am selling ~100 of my movie prints including a lot of Mondo prints .. If youre interested look over my "trades" page and shot me a PM about any you may like to own! :)

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/trades.php?id=19335&ipp=48&page=1

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2578 on: March 23, 2012, 03:07:11 PM »
I am selling ~100 of my movie prints including a lot of Mondo prints .. If youre interested look over my "trades" page and shot me a PM about any you may like to own! :)

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/trades.php?id=19335&ipp=48&page=1

What's going on?  Had enough?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #2579 on: March 23, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »
Oh no .. Im just selling off some of the stuff that I dont care about as much .. Im refining my collection ;) I will keep some Stouts .. all of my Ansin print are staying .. I am keeping some Taylors just because I like his work.. and some various others .. I love some of Danny  Millers zombie drawings as well as his use of colors .. I love his print from Rabid and the use of hot pink in place of blood!!! :D

I dont know maybe it just took me a while but I think I may be maturing as a collector .. Not emotionally though Ill always be a bratty 12 yr old irl! ;)

Heres what Im keeping for anyone that wants to browse ..
http://www.expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=19335

Also Im sure that I have more prints than whats listed at those links .. I was never good at keeping my collection cataloged properly! :( So I may find some long lost gems as i dig through everything to pull out the ones that have sold! :)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2580 on: March 23, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »
Oh no .. Im just selling off some of the stuff that I dont care about as much .. Im refining my collection ;)

Yes, the familiar call of the over-extended EBeaner...  :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2581 on: March 23, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »
I dont know maybe it just took me a while but I think I may be maturing as a collector .. Not emotionally though Ill always be a bratty 12 yr old irl! ;)

WHAT! Bounty hunters are totally appropriate for a 40yo! I mean 25yo! Er, 12yo....

guest8

« Reply #2582 on: March 23, 2012, 08:54:26 PM »
Yes, the familiar call of the over-extended EBeaner...  :)

LOL .. Im not over extended .. I could just keep everything I own, But unlike T Id rather pass something a long to someone who would appreciate it and maybe even hang it up for all to see! ;)

WHAT! Bounty hunters are totally appropriate for a 40yo! I mean 25yo! Er, 12yo....
I actually would like to keep these but hanging all 6 in custom frames takes up a lot of space and would cost a good chunk for just the frames and thats money I could put into some other posters and prints!! :D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2583 on: March 30, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »
Got this really nice 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea this morning - by Ken Taylor.

T
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:53:37 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2584 on: March 30, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
If I wasnt on my hiatus I may have picked it up as well .. Taylor is my #2 fav behind Ansin although I wish he would expand his choices of colors .. he seems to be fond of that blue/green color. Also was this a minor price bump for Mondo? $50 for e non-variant 24x36 print ?? Hmmm ??

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2585 on: March 30, 2012, 02:17:49 PM »
I don't know.  I never really pay attention to that.  It seems to me that their prices have always been the same...  between $35 and $70.
My Personal Collection

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #2586 on: March 30, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »
I don't know.  I never really pay attention to that.  It seems to me that their prices have always been the same...  between $35 and $70.

I'd agree that has pretty much been their price range for a long time. I remember back in the day when you purchased a print from Alamo the price would go up on you as they got closer to selling out. So if you were one of the last ones to get one you paid more than some of the first people by $15, $20 or $25. This happened on the variants fairly quickly. But that is still less than having to buy it from a flipper.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2587 on: March 30, 2012, 04:30:19 PM »

T
That is indeed excellent..

Stew

guest8

« Reply #2588 on: March 30, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »
See that's just it though .. I remember $25-35 prints .. And sure a Horkey (or a Stuzan) is always more expensive but for the most part all regulars were around that price .. then they crept up to 35-45 .. and now a $50 regular? just recently .. Weve had BeneathPOTA and Drive .. Both 24x36 prints by Ken and they were the new "norm" of $45.. Im not complaining .. I just notice the increase .. and thought we could chat about the good ol' days ! ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2589 on: March 30, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »
Cost of living.  What was $35 5 years ago is now $40.
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2590 on: March 30, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »
LOL .. Touche :P

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2591 on: March 30, 2012, 07:16:48 PM »
I'd agree that has pretty much been their price range for a long time. I remember back in the day when you purchased a print from Alamo the price would go up on you as they got closer to selling out. So if you were one of the last ones to get one you paid more than some of the first people by $15, $20 or $25. This happened on the variants fairly quickly. But that is still less than having to buy it from a flipper.

Which is funny, in a dickish kind of way, since they were not actually sold out as the quantity had yet to be ordered (The Thing/Blade Runner time period, non-rolling roadshow releases)... it was more like drawing a line and testing price points...

The '06 Alamos were $15-20.  If they are $50 now, then that represents more than a 250% increase, which is many times beyond the cost of living adjustments during that time...

Is still one of the best Mondo prints in a long time.  I like the 'For General Exhibition' Aussie rating as and added touch...

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2592 on: March 30, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »

T

I hate you.  I'm keeping my new Spielberg's now.
Ves

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2593 on: March 30, 2012, 08:22:14 PM »
thats probably the best I have seen, love it and the censor rating. Are these sold out?

EDIT, I see they are sold out. Might have to print my own.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:40:27 PM by Ari »
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Charlie

« Reply #2594 on: March 30, 2012, 09:37:50 PM »
Fucking cell phones are useless during a drop... I had to sit there and wait all the time deep down knowing it was never going to go to the buy page....  Sorry V...

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2595 on: March 31, 2012, 01:19:22 AM »
Is ok...I'll get one on the inflated secondary market.
Sucks because I am going to meet up with him and have him sign a couple of my favourite prints he has done, and I would have loved this to be one of them, esp. considering the aussie touch with the rating.

Ah well...
Ves

guest8

« Reply #2596 on: March 31, 2012, 07:49:23 AM »
As much as I love Taylors work .. He doesnt have the "Star Power" yet .. So I suspect that given a short time for the excitement to die off these will be able to be had at a reasonable cost.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2597 on: April 02, 2012, 12:14:34 PM »
As much as I love Taylors work .. He doesnt have the "Star Power" yet .. So I suspect that given a short time for the excitement to die off these will be able to be had at a reasonable cost.

Tell that to the folks scrambling for a Poltergeist...

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #2598 on: April 02, 2012, 12:28:59 PM »
You could have bought one for cheap around the time of the drop though .. Its been a while now and they are just hard to find... By "Star Power" I mean like how a print will drop then instantly shots up in price and then keeps climbing .. Moss has that now .. Stout had it but the recent run of odd titles (IMHO) has lost him that edge.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2599 on: April 02, 2012, 12:33:51 PM »
By "Star Power" I mean like how a print will drop then instantly shots up in price and then keeps climbing

This is not a uniform data set for each print, even by the 'stars' as you put it.

I would say that as of right now, Moss, Ansin, and Stout, are the Mondo Holy Trinity, with Taylor next in line. An argument could be made that Moss is king right now, but that seat can easily be switched out ala musical chairs.

I was mistaken,