Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538753 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2550 on: March 14, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
For those wanting the CliffsNotes on what Fallen is saying in his post above, let me oblige with a summary:

:P

;)  

;)  

:)

;)

:)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:12:53 AM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #2551 on: March 14, 2012, 11:45:01 AM »
LOL .. Yes all my smiley faces are crack induced !! :D

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2552 on: March 14, 2012, 05:33:43 PM »
Genre fanboys are overemphasizing the importance of some of these films.

mcnail

« Reply #2553 on: March 14, 2012, 11:23:36 PM »
Quote from: fallenangel1
This make mes think of two different business strategies..  Quantity vs. Quality .. You choose which artist falls into which category.

I never meant to imply that there was any "strategy" or someone was actually getting "better movies" .. 

Huh?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2554 on: March 14, 2012, 11:35:14 PM »
grumpy old me, all this hoo-ha over commercial posters ;)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Charlie

« Reply #2555 on: March 14, 2012, 11:35:41 PM »
Dude.  I don't know why you guys care so much they are not real movie posters anyway...  I could get a local guy down the street to whip up stuff better than half these guys.  I mean except for Struzan, how many of Mondo's artist have done stuff for the official movie campaigns?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2556 on: March 14, 2012, 11:41:25 PM »
You might be right, Charlie, but by the same token, 99% of Mondo stuff is better than today's photoshopped movie posters.  It took me a while to understand that although not technically movie posters, their stuff is a direct continuation of the movie posters of yesteryears, you know, the real movie posters.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #2557 on: March 14, 2012, 11:44:36 PM »
FOR ME, I'd be just as happy with an A4 Laser print if I loved the art (except for resale value). But as I reminded someone somewhere else today, we all have different tastes.
An Error Has Occurred!

Charlie

« Reply #2558 on: March 14, 2012, 11:50:15 PM »
You might be right, Charlie, but by the same token, 99% of Mondo stuff is better than today's photoshopped movie posters.  It took me a while to understand that although not technically movie posters, their stuff is a direct continuation of the movie posters of yesteryears, you know, the real movie posters.

T

Yeah, you've got me on the comparison to today's stuff.  I understand the appeal.  If it's a movie I really am into, I attempt to try on the initial drop but I probably won't ever pay flipper prices for them...  Its just hard for me to imagine you guys are arguing over artists; there could be so many other artist out there worthy of sitting at the table with the other mondonians...  New word! I could go and get a few young art students to come up with some kick ass renditions of movie posters and keep the original artwork for less than some of the flip prices.  
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:50:44 PM by Charlie »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2559 on: March 14, 2012, 11:58:22 PM »
Charlie, all you need to do is walk through the hallways of DreamWorks and look at the art on the wall.  Mesmerizing.  Astonishing.  Brilliant.  But this is one side of the coin.  They do their thing, and they get paid really well to do it.  Others are not so lucky.  Mondo is already using a lot of different artists, half of whom I don't like.  I'm sure there are plenty more knocking on their door every day.  It's a living.  If you're a struggling artist, since the movie poster arena is dead, this is a good output.  More will rise, some will die... but this is what we have today.

T
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:59:10 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2560 on: March 15, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »
Dude.  I don't know why you guys care so much they are not real movie posters anyway...  I could get a local guy down the street to whip up stuff better than half these guys.  I mean except for Struzan, how many of Mondo's artist have done stuff for the official movie campaigns?

I know we've had this conversation before, but what makes something a real movie poster?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:56:58 AM by theartofmovieposters »
Ves

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #2561 on: March 15, 2012, 01:02:06 AM »
A poster printed for the use of theatres/drive ins etc to advertise a screening of a film with the hope of selling tickets?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:02:20 AM by Ari »
An Error Has Occurred!

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2562 on: March 15, 2012, 01:03:35 AM »
A poster printed for the use of theatres/drive ins etc to advertise a screening of a film with the hope of selling tickets?

Don't the mondo posters created for ACTUAL screenings meet that criteria?
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2563 on: March 15, 2012, 01:04:58 AM »
I know we've had this conversation before, but what makes something a real movie poster?

For Ari - only aussie Hammers (and Val Lewtons)
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #2564 on: March 15, 2012, 01:08:09 AM »
Don't the mondo posters created for ACTUAL screenings meet that criteria?

I think when the % thats USED is FAR FAR FAR outweighed by the amount for direct sale, it cancels it out IMHO.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2565 on: March 15, 2012, 01:10:42 AM »
I think when the % thats USED is FAR FAR FAR outweighed by the amount for direct sale, it cancels it out IMHO.

I understand the argument Ari.  And I know people love these "prints".  But that's all they are to me too...

(Don't hurt me Ves)
Chris

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2566 on: March 15, 2012, 01:20:49 AM »
So how do you make the call when you don't know how many were printed/used?
Ves

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2567 on: March 15, 2012, 01:21:34 AM »
I understand the argument Ari.  And I know people love these "prints".  But that's all they are to me too...

(Don't hurt me Ves)

Never :)
Ves

guest8

« Reply #2568 on: March 15, 2012, 07:23:03 AM »
Huh?

Sorry I guess I can see how I might have sent conflicting signals .. I ended with that statement in an effort to help spur some more conversation from other members in this thread. Not necessarily calling out your actual business strategy. :) I have nothing but love for you all! And the only critique I would ever have of how you guys do your Mondo thing .. Would be 100% based off of my personal opinions and preferences.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2569 on: March 16, 2012, 12:02:36 PM »
Got the 2 Melancholia this morning.  I'm really warming up to Hanuka's art.  Plus, they are 24x36in, which is an absolute plus in my book.

T
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:03:00 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2570 on: March 16, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »

At first glance, I think it's a great design.  Especially like the green version.
Upon closer examination, I have to wonder...is Dunst that bow-legged?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2571 on: March 16, 2012, 02:03:59 PM »
Snaggletooth is pretty hard to look at, so I really don't mind if the drawing has nothing to do with her.
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2572 on: March 16, 2012, 10:28:45 PM »
These are nice.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2573 on: March 17, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »
Snaggletooth is pretty hard to look at...

Now, that's harsh.
I'm not a Dunst fan, but I'd do her for Old Glory in a heartbeat.

I like swimmin' with bow-legged wimmin... mesmrized

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2574 on: March 21, 2012, 10:54:57 AM »
Mondo stuff just amazes me what some people are spending. I had an offer of 1500 for a Lost Boys last week, if I had known the Big trouble was going to sell at 1700-1800 I probably would have sold and bought that. I dont know if it is people dodging the system and getting 2 of stuff to flip one and drop huge cash on others with flip money, or deep pockets or what.

The number of Mondo like stuff coming out now is getting crazy as well. Everyone and their uncle is creating prints.