Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538768 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2425 on: January 26, 2012, 12:34:48 PM »
BTW, I just went past 200 prints in my collection.

T

Congrats.

Not bad for someone who didn't like Mondo prints and the like in the hey day of the MPF.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2426 on: January 26, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »
You remember that?

qip

It took me some times to realize that prints were a continuation of the movie posters I love (not the floating heads).
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #2427 on: January 26, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »
I would scratch Kelly and Bertmer off my artist list, but amazingly some of the expresso crowd love their style (and speaking of expresso, does that forum run on a P90 or 486 out of someones garage, what a dog).

It is horrible on big drop days .. You get page errors and everything and then when you can get through and you try to post you can get the "someone has posted already" errors fro another 5 mins before youre post gets through .. and instantly buried by the other 10 posts that were trying to get through .. But they do have a larger site and a huge database .. I wonder what they do host the site on?? Its run by volunteers so I wonder if its hosted at someones house! :)

My favs are Ansin, Phantom City (Conquest) and the Kelly, which I never thought I would say as his art generally does not appeal to me, but his Escape print is pretty great, with solid coloring and perspective. His might also be the best upgrade from original OS to print, IMO.

The Taylor is a swing and miss, much like his Sucker Punch...both need another color or some air to breathe with the crowded composition.

Dave, I think $249 for 6 prints shipped is a pretty solid deal. Can't really go wrong there.

I agree with you on the Kelly .. usually Im not a fan but he really pulled it together on this print .. its not my fav but its not the Bertmer either! :) Definatly a step int he right direction as far as my taste go.

As for the $250 for 6 prints go .. Youre 100% right, its totally a good price .. I was just saying .. if youre buying the set just to get 2 or three prints and think "Oh well I have the others too" its not worth it .. some of those will probably not gain in value therefore if you just wanted the Ansin, Kelly and PC .. Thats $150 and you dont have to worry about the extras and you saved $100 .. However, I suspect the Ansin to start going up and be worth the cost of the set after tomorrows drop .. So you will never really lose money, per se. I just look at it as I already have more than a few prints that I dont care to keep and Id be lucky to get what I paid for them. Why spend an extra $100 on this set just to add 3 more prints that I probably wont care for or be able to get rid of later down the road.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2428 on: January 26, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
You remember that?

qip

It took me some times to realize that prints were a continuation of the movie posters I love (not the floating heads).

Ha, yep I do.

Now you need to call up Louie and convert him too.

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2429 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:38 PM »
Hey, you know that Cockring is the one who converted me.  I don't want to be Louie's cockring!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2430 on: January 26, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
Hey, you know that Cockring is the one who converted me.  I don't want to be Louie's cockring!

Post of the day.

And no, that seems like the worst thing in the world...

Dave, there is a market for every print. People love Bertmer, and some other stuff that I cannot believe folks would spend even the shipping cost on, so you really cannot lose with this set in any way.

I was mistaken,

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2431 on: January 26, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »

BTW, I just went past 200 prints in my collection.

T

I don't think it is allowable to count variants as a separate print count.

guest8

« Reply #2432 on: January 26, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »
If anyone is interested in picking up some of the MMM prints I have dropped the prices on some that I have for sale ..

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2861.msg59820.html#new

guest8

« Reply #2433 on: January 27, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
No one went for singles today? I was a bit surprised to see Kelly sell out 2nd .. Although it is one of his better pieces.

On another note I was able to pickup both Jurassic Park prints from JC's website today !! :)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2434 on: January 27, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »
No one went for singles today? I was a bit surprised to see Kelly sell out 2nd .. Although it is one of his better pieces.

On another note I was able to pickup both Jurassic Park prints from JC's website today !! :)

Good skills! I made a try for the regular version (with titles and credits), but was too slow. A shame to miss it, but I won't bother feeding the flippers for it.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2435 on: January 27, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »
Just a quick question,have any of the buyers of these prints noticed the names of any regular flippers?
I would n`t expect anyone to be specific,so far as outing them,

Stew
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:53:26 PM by stewart boyle »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2436 on: January 27, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »
Nah - I've not noticed, but then I don't look that often.

I'm surprised there aren't more flippers in the UK though - for other limited prints (like the urban art scene), there are loads. Usually the same guys that tout tickets for concerts.

guest8

« Reply #2437 on: January 27, 2012, 04:22:09 PM »
I think some people on EB know the ebay names of regular flippers .. But connecting those to the real names/paypal names of the people buying the prints may be a bit harder .. I know that I read somewhere that Olly Moss cancelled an order when someone was able to connect a twitter user name to an ebay name and they guy tweeted about how he had lost out on making >$500 becuse of an "oversell"

Ill see if I can dig up the comments .. I think overall they are pretty cautious so as to not be outted .. If this is a reguaelr gig for you .. I think itd be important to keep who you are separate from your ebay identity .. But if someone bought off of ebay youd have a paypal name .. We could compile a list  but then its a he said she said game .. and I know Im putting T on all my lists .. his collection is too big as it is!!! :P

Charlie

« Reply #2438 on: January 27, 2012, 04:29:36 PM »
Finally figured out what EB stands for; boy is that site slow.  I gave up...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2439 on: January 27, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »
and I know Im putting T on all my lists .. his collection is too big as it is!!! :P
Ain`t that the truth  ;D  thumbup

Stew

guest8

« Reply #2440 on: January 27, 2012, 04:40:03 PM »
Retweeted by Olly

skywa1ker993 Luke Woolley
I was set to make >$500 on a resale of a signed Olly Moss poster, until I got the notification that it oversold and I was being refunded :(

:clap:

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2441 on: January 27, 2012, 04:44:49 PM »
Finally figured out what EB stands for; boy is that site slow.  I gave up...

It's an interesting site (the print database is an excellent resource) and has some really good members there, but the mentality can be quite scary. Like the clamour for Olly Moss' Totoro print for example - loads of peeps in the Mondo thread admitted they hadn't even seen the film before or didn't even know what Studio Ghibli was, yet they were climbing over each other to get the print! Still, it's good I suppose, Mondo and that community have encouraged people to seek out new films and has widened the appreciation of film posters.

guest8

« Reply #2442 on: February 02, 2012, 10:48:45 AM »
I picked up the Drive print today .. anyone else ?

I think Kens work is pretty awesome .. I wasnt a super huge fan of the movie though .. So Taylor sold me on this print.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2443 on: February 02, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
I still haven't seen Drive, but it apparently has a crazy following.

Since I hate being left out, I bought the Signalnoise print last week, and the Taylor this morning.  Early drop for Mondo.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2444 on: February 02, 2012, 10:56:29 AM »
Funny how the latest Mondo art is posted seconds/minutes right after the sell out. ;)

I like the White Drive piece a tad more, but hate how that run was handled with two sizes, printing more to meet over sell, etc...

This Taylor one is pretty cool, I picked one up since the drop fell in my lap as I sat down at the computer....why not.

I was mistaken,

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2445 on: February 02, 2012, 10:59:50 AM »
The site hung for me when I added it to my cart. I'm not too bothered though as I'm feeling poor at the moment and even though I like Taylor, I don't think it's his best work or particularly fitting to the film.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2446 on: February 02, 2012, 11:02:48 AM »
Funny how the latest Mondo art is posted seconds/minutes right after the sell out. ;)

I think Mondo does a good enough job at advertizing their stuff.  They don't need the extra help.

sm1
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2447 on: February 02, 2012, 11:04:18 AM »
Agree, I am more or less talking about how we act like nothing is coming before a drop, like we are whistling with our hands in our pockets...we can only talk about it post-drop.

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2448 on: February 02, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
The early drop sucks, though.  I had to wake up at 7:30 this morning.  Waaaay too early for me.
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2449 on: February 02, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »
Agree, I am more or less talking about how we act like nothing is coming before a drop, like we are whistling with our hands in our pockets...we can only talk about it post-drop.

What drop? You got an email yesterday? No I have no idea what youre talking about .. *whistles and looks around the room* ;)