Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538692 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2400 on: January 22, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
My job is neither:  a) to improve their business model,  nor b) to get into another pissing match with you, Ben.

I was able to to get every drop that I tried, except for the Olly Moss Star Wars drop, and that was because I was on a shitty slow connection in North Carolina at the time.  I don't  blame that experience on Mondo at all.

What I got fed up with was sitting at the computer and having to keep watching the screen for hours and hours before that vital instant when the posters when live.  I realized that I was acting like a crackhead waiting for the next hit to be handed out after he ran out of money.  That's when I said, quite simply, no more drops.  Though, I did get through Fairey's recent drop for the Occupy poster, and the ridiculous drop for Drive.

What ultimately gets me all fuckity fuck fuck, as you put it, is that for a time, their people listened and one actually participated (I forget her name).  We told them of some of these gripes, and I'm sure as shit not the only who has gripes.   But, they did nothing.

I'd say let's agree to disagree, Ben, and leave it at that.

Wow, Holiday..

Ok, fess up, what were the drops you swung and missed on?

I know you want them to burn to the ground and fuckity fuck fuck and all...but what ideas do you actually have to improve their business model?

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2401 on: January 22, 2012, 11:02:38 PM »
Holiday, I was just asking if you had ideas for the sake of the topic, not to construct a 30 page business plan to send to Mondo.

You know, the whole forum/discourse thing.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Bruce

« Reply #2402 on: January 22, 2012, 11:11:13 PM »
There is the idea of taking orders for a couple of hours and then printing however many you get orders for.

Of course, after a few times of that the flippers would not buy any, so you would start selling fewer and fewer copies of each one.

Announcing 30 and then selling 150 is outright sleazy, but not illegal, because after all, he DOES offer to let anyone out who objects to being hoodwinked.

Bruce

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2403 on: January 22, 2012, 11:18:20 PM »
Holiday, I was just asking if you had ideas for the sake of the topic, not to construct a 30 page business plan to send to Mondo.

You know, the whole forum/discourse thing.

Sorry, you know me, Ben.  I can get a little tight.  I've not really thought about what they should do to rectify the problems.  The first thing that comes to mind is to increase the size of the print runs.  The second thing is to announce, at the least, a window when the poster will be release.  Finally, something to at least threaten the flippers.  There are artists out there, Fairey being one of them, who say that if they catch you, you will be banned from buying or your order will be cancelled or some such.  Some combination of these things would, I think, help relieve the tension of the drop.

Also, for folks that are loyal, there really should be a loyalty program that would allow them first dibs.  The loyalty should be very strong - and I would say that it should be close to buying every print that is released.  But to those who are loyal, they should be rewarded.  I'm the kind of guy who would buy every one if I was ensured that I did not have to fight that drop and that I would be guaranteed one of the released posters every time.

I could say much of the other artists out there who use poster drops.  Same kind of problems to be sure.  But Mondo fancies itself as growing in influence, and as a player in the industry.  As such, it should rise to a higher calling. 

My 2.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

mcnail

« Reply #2404 on: January 25, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »
Hey guys, Mitch from Mondo here, now a member.

I don't even know where to start with this last string of posts, but I wanted to let everyone know that I'll be hanging around from time-to-time to address issues or concerns.

Cheers.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2405 on: January 25, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
About time!!!

And what happened to Jessica?  She doesn't like us anymore?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

mcnail

« Reply #2406 on: January 25, 2012, 12:46:33 PM »
About time!!!

And what happened to Jessica?  She doesn't like us anymore?

T

Ah, she keeps pretty busy. Since I've been reading the site for awhile, I figured it'd be best for me to get an account myself.

guest8

« Reply #2407 on: January 25, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »
No offense Mitch .. but Jessica is cuter than you are :P

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2408 on: January 25, 2012, 02:17:37 PM »
Hi Mitch, welcome! :)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2409 on: January 25, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
Welcome to APF Mitch  :)

Stew

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2410 on: January 25, 2012, 04:15:12 PM »
Nice twitter bomb just dropped 6 Apes, one money. I like the set concept to lazy to post all the images right now.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2411 on: January 25, 2012, 07:13:51 PM »
The Battle Of The Apes - Prints v. Posters!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2412 on: January 25, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »
1.B
2.B
3.A
4.B
5.A
6.Meh

Stew

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2413 on: January 25, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »
I'm glad to have you, Mitch.  I've been one of the ones pretty vocal against Mondo these days, and there are those there like Wonka who take issue with what I have to say. Certainly, Mondo's production is usually awesome, and I don't think the issues are there.  Rather, its the business side of Mondo that gets the focus.  I really do look forward to some discussion.

Hey guys, Mitch from Mondo here, now a member.

I don't even know where to start with this last string of posts, but I wanted to let everyone know that I'll be hanging around from time-to-time to address issues or concerns.

Cheers.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

mcnail

« Reply #2414 on: January 26, 2012, 03:24:25 AM »
I'm glad to have you, Mitch.  I've been one of the ones pretty vocal against Mondo these days, and there are those there like Wonka who take issue with what I have to say. Certainly, Mondo's production is usually awesome, and I don't think the issues are there.  Rather, its the business side of Mondo that gets the focus.  I really do look forward to some discussion.

All I can say is please don't assume that we haven't obsessively analyzed the exact issues that you've mentioned.

First, as for servers and websites, I think that you'll actually find that our store holds up incredibly well during hugely populated drops. Sure, a lot of folks don't get through, but when thousands of people are trying to buy 400 posters, that is bound to happen, no matter how fast your website is. Believe use, we have multiple dedicated servers and pay way too much money for hosting, but people will get shut out no matter what when demand exceeds supply.

Speaking of, as for edition sizes, we've done our best to gradually increase edition sizes over the years, but the majority of our audience isn't interested in a print that's not collectible (and I'm not talking about flippers). Furthermore, the limited nature is also what appeals to the studios, as well as keeps artists happy (as they're able both to sell their own personal copies quickly and maintain collectibility, gaining them more interest and job opportunities from other clients).

Lastly, the toughest one, policing flippers. This is an incredibly hard thing to do. I've been around the poster scene for years now, and I can honestly say that I haven't seen a single person do it effectively (you mentioned Obey, but I'm almost certain that Shepard is no longer actively banning people, and I don't get the feeling that it went too well for him). Not only would it take gigantic personnel resources, but you also have to understand that there are two sides to every story, something that we run into A LOT. For every accusation, there's an equally passionate argument on the other side about whether or not they engaged in flipping, and it can get very heated. Trust me, we don't like when people immediately flip stuff either, but it's more of a problem with the scene than with how one company handles it. We limit orders to one per household (I can verify this) and check credit cards at mystery screenings, but beyond that, as secondhand witnesses we just aren't in a position to call people out.

The thing that bums us out is that these issues pertain to about one out of every ten releases we do, but they're the only ones that people remember. I don't think anyone is complaining about the edition sizes being too low on Gremlins 2, the Once Upon A Time prints, House by the Cemetery, etc. This job is a constant "razor's edge" situation with trying to figure out demand, we're just trying to do our best.

Hope that clears some things up. Cheers.

guest8

« Reply #2415 on: January 26, 2012, 07:16:03 AM »
Hey Mitch .. Whats up with the latest issues with turn around time? I was kind of assuming it was due to the new store and all but from what Ive seen theres not been any official word on what happened to cause this backup in print shipping. (besides the Totoro issues)

mcnail

« Reply #2416 on: January 26, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
Hey Mitch .. Whats up with the latest issues with turn around time? I was kind of assuming it was due to the new store and all but from what Ive seen theres not been any official word on what happened to cause this backup in print shipping. (besides the Totoro issues)

Just normal stuff that we typically run into, but it happens to be more than usual lately. Totoro issues, last minute studio changes, more legwork than expected on the coffin Draculas, etc. Everything should be caught up soon, we just got caught in a bit of a year-end print queue funk with holidays and stuff (printers hafta relax a bit during the holidays too!).

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #2417 on: January 26, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »
How about a Comics in the Movies series done by the top comic artists of that run.

Spiderman 1 - Todd Mcfarlane
Spiderman 2 - Romita Sr, Jr collab
Spiderman 3 - Mark Bagley

Xmen 1 - Jim Lee
X2 - Adam Kubert
X3 - John Bryne
Wolverine - Barry Windsor Smith

Daredevil - David Mazzucchelli
Elektra - Frank Miller

etc..  ;D

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2418 on: January 26, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »
Anyone Go Ape just now?

That was fast, did it even take a minute? Pretty solid deal for 6 poster, IMO.

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #2419 on: January 26, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »
Anyone get the Apes? I was there and through paypal .. But stopped myself .. I have the Ansin on wood already .. and the Taylor looks nice .. The others were not too bad but not good enough that I had to have them .. And once again .. I still dont like Bertmer's work. :P I wish wish wsh Mondo had used someone else on that Hellraiser print !! That was one I was super excited about until I herd Bertmer did it. :(

guest8

« Reply #2420 on: January 26, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »
Anyone Go Ape just now?

That was fast, did it even take a minute? Pretty solid deal for 6 poster, IMO.

Unless I 100% love the art(ist) and/or movie, making it a must own print/poster. I always take resale into consideration .. and the Bertmer will most likely be a givaway (IMHO).. The Go Ape may be one to have since you can only get it with the set .. obviously the Ansin will be liked by a majority  .. Taylors work is amazing .. sadly he just doesnt get the love in resale values like some of the others do .. So what it comes down to .. IMHO .. Youre paying $250 .. for 3 maybe 4 prints ? Which isnt horrible .. but .. It can be cheaper if you just buy the 2, 3, 4 you really want and let the others go ..

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2421 on: January 26, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »
I went for the set - I've been waiting for that Ansin on paper for ages as I'm UK based so the wood has never been an option. I didn't fancy my chances tomorrow or at Sideshow, although I'm really interested to see the variants. I reckon I would have easily paid $150 for the Ansin from ebay, so an extra $80 for the other prints seems good value to me.

I thought at first I might keep some and maybe trade a couple, but the more I look at the set, the more I like it. They're fun films and these prints are good fun too, I always prefer the film poster style prints as oppose to the art style prints that Mondo produce.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #2422 on: January 26, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »
I got one, Taylor, Ansin and that Edmiston is fantastic.

I would scratch Kelly and Bertmer off my artist list, but amazingly some of the expresso crowd love their style (and speaking of expresso, does that forum run on a P90 or 486 out of someones garage, what a dog).

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2423 on: January 26, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »
My favs are Ansin, Phantom City (Conquest) and the Kelly, which I never thought I would say as his art generally does not appeal to me, but his Escape print is pretty great, with solid coloring and perspective. His might also be the best upgrade from original OS to print, IMO.

The Taylor is a swing and miss, much like his Sucker Punch...both need another color or some air to breathe with the crowded composition.

Dave, I think $249 for 6 prints shipped is a pretty solid deal. Can't really go wrong there.

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2424 on: January 26, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
Yeah, I got them all too. 

I will resell the Bertmer at cost.  I really hate what the guy does and I don't want any of his stuff in my collection.  Two others I want to see in person before I decide... the Kelly (not a fan, but this one is the best print I've seen from him IMO) and the Taylor (I love Taylor, but not 100% sold on it yet.)

BTW, I just went past 200 prints in my collection.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)