Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538798 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2350 on: January 19, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »
Yeah, really nice!!!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #2351 on: January 19, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
Yeah, really nice!!!

LOL .. being were all poster nerds I have to ask .. Whats nice the Ansins or Olivia ? :P

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2352 on: January 19, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »
Not a huge Olivia fan... so the Ansins for me :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #2353 on: January 19, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
I am a fan of both ! :) But I really cant wait to get these prints in hand and take a closer look .. Now if only I hadnt missed out on the Dracula prints!!! :(

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2354 on: January 19, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »
Speaking of Ansin, did you see what the Phantom of the Opera I traded you sells for nowadays?  Good eye, my friend :)
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2355 on: January 19, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »
Speaking of Ansin, did you see what the Phantom of the Opera I traded you sells for nowadays?  Good eye, my friend :)

Yeah, he did. Might be able to put a dent in a house/car payment after your help too! ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phantom-Opera-Martin-Ansin-Poster-Mondo-Print-Variant-Metallic-/270856149202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1048d8d2#ht_500wt_1287
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2356 on: January 19, 2012, 11:56:53 AM »
Well, I don't know about this one, but the last reg. sold for $1,800.  There hasn't be a variant for sale since 2010, probably because there are only 25 of them.
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2357 on: January 19, 2012, 11:57:50 AM »
LOL .. yeah .. The regulars have been skyrocketing! I havent seen a variant sell recently though (unless I missed one) .. I dont plan on letting mine go any time soon.. I think Im on my way to owning most of Ansins "limited" works .. Some of his open edition stuff is nice .. But the collector in my balks at the idea of paying for anything thats an open edition. Hopefully Ill be able to snag the Draculas at a decent price and keep my collection going! :D

LOL .. Just saw Wonkas post .. Youd be surprised how many offers Ive had and turned down .. I only posted that when there were none floating around and had hoped to draw attention to my other prints for sale .. But since then Ive been blamed for "setting the bar" on the cost of the regulars .. Ive been told that because I priced the variant at $3k sellers started pricing their regulars against that and they actually sold .. Ive considered increasing the price or just pulling that one from ebay .. I dont want to accidentally sell it !! :(

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2358 on: January 19, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
Fallen, accidentally making $2k seems like a great slip up if it happens. Is that the one Thierry traded you?

Thierry, you are correct, the only reason we haven't seen the price drive up (from Fallen's auction or otherwise) is just because there are only 25, which is ludicrous for a variant run now-a-days.

Re: Tron
Really like the design, love the color choices, but not a huge Tron fan. I wish they did new material, and while Ansin did a great job, seems his talents were wasted a bit due to being assigned leftovers in the Mondo buffet.

I wonder what Mondo will do next year for its yearly Tron release.

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2359 on: January 19, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »
I don't care for Tron either, but I'm a big Ansin fan, so this was a no brainer for me.

Yeah Dave, I can't remember if I traded you the variant or the reg?  I had a couple of each at some point.
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2360 on: January 19, 2012, 12:26:21 PM »
Fallen, accidentally making $2k seems like a great slip up if it happens. Is that the one Thierry traded you?

Thierry, you are correct, the only reason we haven't seen the price drive up (from Fallen's auction or otherwise) is just because there are only 25, which is ludicrous for a variant run now-a-days.

Re: Tron
Really like the design, love the color choices, but not a huge Tron fan. I wish they did new material, and while Ansin did a great job, seems his talents were wasted a bit due to being assigned leftovers in the Mondo buffet.

I wonder what Mondo will do next year for its yearly Tron release.

Yes, That is the copy (of the Variant, gosh T if you still have extras Ill trade you some more :P) that T traded me .. I only have the one print for Phantom .. Which is why I'm not too keen on letting it go .. Especially with the regulars selling for what they are now I know Id probably never get another. But that hasn't stopped me from letting something super rare slip away for the right price before! ;)

As for the Tron prints .. I love Ansins work and the movies .. BUT .. there was such a light dark contrast in both movies that the Tron (Original) seems dull and muted with that cream paper .. Id have preferred a white paper and some darker tones in place of all the browns ..

As for new material !! I think Mondos missing the boat on a lot of new films .. I would have LOVED to have seen something for Dragon Tattoo .. But Im sure the whole dealing with the studios on a film that isnt released yet can be a pain and who knows if it will flop (Cowboys and Aliens) and if thats the case then they kind of wasted their efforts ... But at least they wouldnt be rehashing old material out the wazoo ..

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2361 on: January 19, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
Thierry, what is your payment method of choice on these drops?

Credit card, paypal, gift card..?

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #2362 on: January 19, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »
Well it got a little too close for comfort ... I received an offer on ebay for my Phantom variant for $2,600 .. So I pulled the auction.. I didnt want to risk the buyer going WTF and just hitting the BIN button! :-o

If I had sold it .. I think it would have been the highest price any single Mondo print has ever sold for! I think Ansin is finally getting the attention he deserves!!! :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2363 on: January 19, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
Hmm...  Maybe I should have kept it :)

For some reasons, I'm convinced I had a 2nd variant on this title.  But I can't find it anywhere.  I remember trading it to you thinking I had 2 more, not counting the reg of course.  It would be good trading bait.  Alas... maybe not.

BTW, I just emailed Martin to let him know that his Phantom "almost" sold for $2.6k.  I'm sure it will make him smile.

T

My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2364 on: January 20, 2012, 05:38:10 AM »
Im still kicking myself for not having the foresight that you did to pick up multiples of these when they were available in the store. Today four of these would be worth ~$10k and I could still have one to hang on the wall!! :P

I hope that Martin is happy .. Everyone is always Stout Stout Stout and since the SW series Moss Moss Moss Moss .. and there are those of us who have known for a while how great Ansins work is and just waiting for the day he would get the recognition he deserves .. And now his "almost" sale price has surpassed any sales prices attained by any one piece from either Tyler or Olly! :D

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2365 on: January 20, 2012, 05:47:32 AM »

For some reasons, I'm convinced I had a 2nd variant on this title.  But I can't find it anywhere.  I remember trading it to you thinking I had 2 more, not counting the reg of course.  It would be good trading bait.  Alas... maybe not.

BTW, I just emailed Martin to let him know that his Phantom "almost" sold for $2.6k.  I'm sure it will make him smile.

I thought that your website said that you had two of each...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2366 on: January 20, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
I don't know... I'm really confused.  There is my website, which is based on an excel spreadsheet I keep up to date, and then there are the flat files, and none of them match on this title.
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2367 on: January 20, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »
It's only Phantom that is commanding the high prices.  None of his other works come close, though many are good.

T

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

guest8

« Reply #2368 on: January 21, 2012, 08:58:41 AM »
It's only Phantom that is commanding the high prices.  None of his other works come close, though many are good.

True, but it just takes one print to effect the whole catalog .. I mean once a dealer/flipper see that Phantom is worth that much the next in line is Metropolis Its still hovering in the same price rand as Phantom was before the big increase in sales .. and Phantom shot up over night .. None were on sale for a while then out of no where someone paid over $1,000 more than the last recorded sale. If the Metropolis market is as dry as the Phantom market I could see that potentially happening as well. I hope not because I dont own either version of Metropolis and still hope to pick one up at some point.

How did it go down with Stout .. I really wasnt paying too much attention to his work when his prices went through the roof, Ive never been all that impressed with BTiLC.. I like the movies Blade Runner and The Thing but dont really care for the prints .. :-/ Didnt Mondo jsut start getting big and some of their old catalog was hard to come across then one day a print that was proabbaly worth $100-200 sold for like $500? Back then that was a lot for a Mondo print then it hit $800 and people were like WTF, thats crazy! Now-a-days nearly anyone (myself included) would buy a Thing print for $800 if only just to resell or to brag about the deal they just got. But Mondo is huge in their area now and its no big surprise to see certain prints easily going over $1k .. Which I would think can explain the instant increases of print costs on the aftermarket .. Unlike the Thing that went up hundreds at a time .. Sellers know that buyers will pay that much and buyers assume (or hope is a better word) that the prints will continue to gain value like the first Stouts did .. But the price increases are going up so fast I dont know if they can maintain that value. But for now Mondo still has a solid following and probably will for a little while at least .. So i suspect Ansin is on the cusp and will be among the Mondo money makers like Stout and Moss (i say this in reference to aftermarket prices). Its sad too because IMHO Ansins style is something I appreciate more.

So if anyone wants to part with a Bride Variant and/or either Metropolis before their prices skyrocket .. Get at me !! :) I really want to finish filling in the gaps in my Ansin collection!!! :)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2369 on: January 21, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »
Bride of Frank - highly doubt you see another sell for under 500/600. Everyone has their favorite artist, but to me, Ansin has the most "movie poster" style of anyone mondo uses.

guest8

« Reply #2370 on: January 21, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »
Bride of Frank - highly doubt you see another sell for under 500/600. Everyone has their favorite artist, but to me, Ansin has the most "movie poster" style of anyone mondo uses.

Dont be a dream crusher !! :P

Freefall

« Reply #2371 on: January 22, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
Someone just offered me to buy my Olly Moss There Will Be Blood for 1k.

WELP!

Freefall

« Reply #2372 on: January 22, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
Someone just offered me to buy my Olly Moss There Will Be Blood for 1k.

WELP!

Now being offered 1,800 for it! Jesus!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2373 on: January 22, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »
Freefall, your humor is lost due to the facts. Fallen was indeed offered this much and did turn it down.

The anti-Mondo sentiment here at times is staggering, and the ignorance of realized auctions (although in this case not realized due to Fallen's choice) these poster can bring at times is especially ignorant.

There is an audience for Mondo, and in some cases, these prints have a high resale value either immediately or as time goes on, that is just how it is.

I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2374 on: January 22, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »
I don't deny the resale value, but I am truly anti-Mondo.  It's not because of their works. It's because as a company they suck.   I haven't bought a Mondo poster for over a year now.

But, I do think that a lot of people value the poster because of the name of the artist.  There Will be Blood by Moss is terrible and uninspired. 

Anyway, that's just a rant. To each his own.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.