Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1546818 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2325 on: December 30, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »
I didn't buy the wood because its design doesn't fit the picture.  If you're going to have a coffin, try to have Lugosi laying in it.  That would make sense.  The way they have it stems from a lack of imagination, IMO.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:59:39 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #2326 on: December 30, 2011, 01:46:13 PM »
I actually felt that it framed the picture well .. and the whole "too much" negative space was an issue that many people saw.. I thought this was someones way of dealing with that and making it all the more interesting .. Even though it would be a pain in the arse to hang !

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2327 on: December 30, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
These on wood and on metal prints worry me, I don't want to have a blank piece of wood or metal 5/10 years down the road when everything falls off. Are they coated?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2328 on: December 30, 2011, 02:26:33 PM »
Even though it would be a pain in the arse to hang !

No way, just put a looped nail of sorts in the back and up on the wall it goes.

I do agree with T's assessment of the wood piece, would have been really neat if this variant had a different design like he described.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2329 on: December 30, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
That means you didn't get one, eh?  pctrash

You can do better than that. Too easy, even for you, my man.

I did see an El Brendel film the other day, forget the title, but it was pretty good.

I was mistaken,

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2330 on: December 30, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »
You can do better than that. Too easy, even for you, my man.

I did see an El Brendel film the other day, forget the title, but it was pretty good.

Cool.  Yeah, I am tired, so I didn't even try, really.  A lot of those early Fox posters/lobbies have the actors faces looking like that. BLEECH!

guest8

« Reply #2331 on: December 30, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »
These on wood and on metal prints worry me, I don't want to have a blank piece of wood or metal 5/10 years down the road when everything falls off. Are they coated?

I do not see any kind of coating on the wood prints .. but I believe they use some kind of automotive paint on the metal prints .. I may be wrong on that though .. I just naturally believe everything I read on the interwebz

Freefall

« Reply #2332 on: December 31, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »
I got a wood variant right after I was denied the b/w variant. Talk about dumb luck. I love the concept of the coffin shaped wood and the images. I think it's brilliant.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2333 on: January 04, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
All of these Kevin Tong prints are super lame (IMO, of course), but I do appreciate the chance to save some money.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #2334 on: January 04, 2012, 10:32:45 PM »
All of these Kevin Tong prints are super lame (IMO, of course), but I do appreciate the chance to save some money.

T

in agreement on that, would like to see this crapola every couple weeks and a good drop once a month.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2335 on: January 05, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »
One of Tong's is still up on Mondo.  Not exactly a hot item, and for a good reason.  I wonder if it makes them think about the quality of their general output, or if they don't give a shit.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2336 on: January 05, 2012, 11:12:09 PM »
He's usually pretty good. It's shocking just how bad this print sucks.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

guest8

« Reply #2337 on: January 06, 2012, 01:14:07 PM »
Yeah I agree with the rest of you .. They really should have passed on this TV "series" .. I think the studios had hoped this would somehow help the popularity of the show .. :P

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2338 on: January 06, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
This Mondo thing is such a tiny little niche, I don't think anyone at studios are aware it exists, nor do they care, nor should they care.
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2339 on: January 06, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »
You forgot the sarcasm symbol....

Stew

guest8

« Reply #2340 on: January 06, 2012, 01:33:16 PM »
LOL .. My sarcasm symbol is the :P Is there a better one?

guest8

« Reply #2341 on: January 06, 2012, 01:52:09 PM »
Also, I think more people notices Mondo than most would realize. I got an email from an advertising agency wanting to speak with someone about Mondo taking part with a Nike advertising campaign one time.. So they are on the radar .. Its not like studio CEO's need to know who they are, just PR reps and advertising people .. Id guess its almost free advertising for any studio that goes to them and works out a deal. Id figure its possibly something like free rights to characters and you make the posters and keep the profits ..

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2342 on: January 06, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »
All I can tell you is that 90% of my friends here work in the industry in some capacity, be it directors, writers, studio execs and a few people in P&A, and they have never heard of Mondo.  They kind of roll their eyes, like 99.9% of people do.  The EB freaks, as vocals as they are, are really just a drop of water in an Olympic swimming pool.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #2343 on: January 06, 2012, 10:42:14 PM »
Wrong crowd T, Mondo goes through the licensing IP law protecting numb nuts lawyers, so most of the studio folks have no clue, but the people that try to stop posters being sold on the net know who they are.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2344 on: January 12, 2012, 07:08:55 PM »
And the year begins like it did in 11.  Aside from Horkey's Dracula, I didn't buy anything from Mondo until late March, when they released Kill Bill.  So far, nothing in 2012, nothing today, nothing tomorrow.  One print from Ken Taylor and that's it. 

sm1  Good for the wallet. 

T
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2345 on: January 13, 2012, 02:22:15 AM »
I finally got to put all of my Alamo buying knowledge to use.  I schooled the peeps and score pre-sale Radiohead tickets for their April Seattle show during the ten seconds or so that they were up.  Chrome auto-fill FTW...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2346 on: January 13, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »
 sm1
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2347 on: January 13, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »
Even better, I just found out that they are the 5th and 7th best 'comfortable' seats in the house (the main floor is GA, but I leave that the kids now-a-days)...   ;D

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2348 on: January 15, 2012, 10:37:43 AM »
Glad the Tong series is done. Hope we get some good stuff this year, like a Ken Taylor El Brendel piece for Louie D.

I leave that to the kids as well, Archie. IF I can get out to a show, which is always unlikely now.

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #2349 on: January 19, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »
Woohoo. Latest offerings .. I always love me some Ansin!!

and just for good measure ..