Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538799 times)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2200 on: October 08, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
A set of three posters from that series, designed by Mr. Moss, was recently listed on eBay for $7,499.99.

That's some quality reporting there, Lou...

Poor examples choosen for their slide show and a barely passable article.  Not their best work...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2201 on: October 08, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »
That's some quality reporting there, Lou...

Poor examples choosen for their slide show and a barely passable article.  Not their best work...

Plus, I could list that set at $10,000 and it doesn't make it so.  I hate when the "press" misleads like this.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2202 on: October 08, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »
So the first of three double feature Mondo Mystery Movies in LA went down last night.

Last night was Horror night, and the chosen titles were 28 Days Later and Hellraiser.

Neither film really my cup of tea, but both are better than the posters:

There is a variant with the title bigger, going almost full bleed over the zombies.

Not exactly groundbreaking. I really don't understand this one.

It's like Bertmer said 'I always liked the original one sheet, but a few tweaks to the lower half should do the trick'.
The execution and literal take on an already existing promotional image is trite to say the least.

Regardless, I think the MMM event in general is a great idea...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2203 on: October 08, 2011, 01:22:09 PM »
So far, I'm keeping the 28 Days Later (I believe I have the version with bigger titles, which I like better) and I'll trade the Hellraiser (hated the movie, can't stand Bertmer).

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2204 on: October 08, 2011, 06:58:33 PM »
Not a Bertmer fan, but that's easily the best thing he's done (mondo-wise)...

With Pulp Fiction just out on Blu-Ray, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Stout in the near future...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2205 on: October 08, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Best out of bad is still bad, IMO :)
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2206 on: October 08, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »
Best out of bad is still bad, IMO :)

Yep.

I would have to say I like his work the least out of the Mondo stock. Just average art school drawings. IMO.

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2207 on: October 09, 2011, 12:04:16 AM »
The EB folks in line are reporting that MMM#1 tonight is The Iron Giant.

If true, I hope the print lives up to the film which is fantastic, IMO.

I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2208 on: October 09, 2011, 12:32:38 AM »
Another Whalen?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2209 on: October 09, 2011, 03:12:46 AM »
The first one is Iron Giant, the second one Assault on Precinct 13. 

I'm super excited about the 2nd one.
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2210 on: October 09, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »
Hey tguys!! This MMM hasn't been anything if not exciting!! :-)  The 28 Days print is one that looks way better in person, I preferred the one with the larger title work as well so I got two of those. I love the Hellraiser movies but I've always said you should never show the first one with out following it with the second right after .. part 1 IMHO is more of a prelude and there isn't enough of pinhead and the others ... As for the print I am just not a fan of Florian and his work .. other than paradise lost he really naled that one! So that poster was a let down for me ... Night 2 I had a horrible experience with the Iron Giant variants ... I had tickets 12 and 13 and ended up moving from first in line to last and being told that they were short two variant so I would not get my copies. There's a longer explinztion of my experience on eb like page 214 if anyone is that interested Mitch later chimed in and said that those two went to the special guest for that screening BUT Tong nailed it on that print set .. I think the regular should have been the variant and the variant should have been the regular but the artwork was amazing and the best of this MMM by far ... I thought the AoP13 was a cool movie you could defff tell it was written as a western but its never been at the top of my lists of must sees or prints that I'm dying to get especially since Davis had just done one recently   this one will fall into the Stout isn't a god catagory befriending TheFP and the Best worst movie prints :-) 

Now I'm just excited to see what tonight brings !!! I'm still hoping for a unicorn or white wale print but the way things are going I just dont see that happening ... I was thinking with all the hype Justin is putting out for MMMIX that I would want to go to that one as well but afterthe IG experience I'm kind of bummed out about the whole MMM experience. Which sucks because its an awesome way to travel around the country and watch some cool flicks.

guest8

« Reply #2211 on: October 10, 2011, 12:13:33 PM »
No updates for last nights show??  They for sure saved the best for last IMO,.. the offered up a City of Lost Children regular and variant by Ken Taylor and ended the night with The Mist with a print by Dan Danger. The Danger was the highlight for me followed by the IG regular for sure the CoLC is awesome but I felt that a darker paper would have suited the movie more. Its still, great either way! 

Also I ended up meeting up with Mitch and he made up for the IG variant ticket issues we ran into the night before and the last night was totally like a night and day difference with how the crowd was as well .. there was a (relativley)  orderly line and numbers were being checked they really do listen to suggestions and try to implement ways to help and make the experience better for evyone involved with out getting all nazi controlling over the entire event which is what I suggested :p

Now with this MMMLA weekend wrapping up I am faced with the decision of .. do i want to try and go to MMMIX???  :-)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2212 on: October 10, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »
Also I ended up meeting up with Mitch and he made up for the IG variant ticket issues we ran into the night before

How so?

Sounds like you had fun. The Iron Giant variant takes the cake out of all the images I have seen thus far, Danger a close second.

Post pics when you get a chance!

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #2213 on: October 10, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »
How so?

Sounds like you had fun. The Iron Giant variant takes the cake out of all the images I have seen thus far, Danger a close second.

Post pics when you get a chance!

Well I was asked to not share the details, I don't know why its not like I was offered free or first in line passes for any new prints or anything like that but we are all settled .. actually when Mitch reached out to me that was enough for me ..just acknowledging that there was a problem and I got screwed and the fact that they were willing to make up for it in any way made me happy.

As for pics that my take a few days I won't get home until late tonight and I have 16 mondo prints as well as the 4 print set from the Kawasaki/sol gallery show that opened on Sat. as well as 10+ MBW lithos ... it was an awesome weekend all around actually. Justin said something about making this a yearly thing  so I would dff consider coming back again next year and maybe even staying longer to take in a little more of LA.

guest8

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2215 on: October 12, 2011, 06:39:07 PM »
Are u keeping them all?

I like Assault, Iron Giant, and The Mist.  I'm getting rid of Hellraiser and probably 28 Days Later.  An extremely disappointing batch, especially for the amount of money people spent and even more for people like you who actually traveled there.  I hope you enjoyed LA while I was gone ;)

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2216 on: October 12, 2011, 06:45:31 PM »
The highlight of my trip was meeting MBW and seeing his warehouse :)

I will probably keep one copy of each of the prints except the Hellraiser .. Ill probably sell/trade off all of my extra copies though

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2217 on: October 20, 2011, 11:45:39 AM »
They still had prints up from previous releases today. Must be time to unload all the mondo prints.

guest8

« Reply #2218 on: October 20, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
LOL .. I picked up The Burning print .. It was slow getting through and I was in well before the tweet .. as for prints still on their site .. Theres been many that did not sell out right away and they just pull them off the site and sell in store ... I dont know if its to maintain the idea that they always sell out instantly or just how they choose to do things .. None of their recent releases have really benn home runs in my eyes .. I loved Mist and Iron Giant was cool (from MMMIX) and Im glad to have them and others in my collection .. But theres not been an all out AWESOME! print in a while .. The Trek print was weak IMHO .. Im not a trekkie so take that with a grain of salt .. and the FF prints that are still there are just some random old flicks that Im sure dont really resonate with that many buyers .. Thats why I didnt buy them .. I wasnt too crazy about the plain look of Sleep Away Camp and Trick r treat didnt do much for me .. But I dont recall ever seeing that movie so thats probably part of it as well ..

Mondo has been on a role of just picking random flicks that you either love or never heard of :P and that alone will polarize the sales .. They need to pick up a big title that everyone loves across the board and hang back on all of this cult/fanboy/horror titles all the time .. granted its part of what makes them great (doing cult hits) but every release .. That will burn out most buyers pretty quickly.

guest8

« Reply #2219 on: October 20, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »
Oh and Dale if you want to let some go .. Let me know .. Im still ISO some titles !! ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2220 on: October 20, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »
I agree.  Nothing great in a while now, at least since Frankenstein.  Just a bunch of prints for long forgotten movies.  I liked Assault a lot, but I'm bias when it comes to Tyler.  The rest... bah!  That Rich Kelly is hideous, but then what else is new.

Pass.
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2221 on: October 20, 2011, 01:04:25 PM »
If anyone is interested they have the AP's here along with a bunch of other prints they have designed .. most or "art prints" of movies they were commissioned to do .. But may be something someones looking for ..
http://phantomcitycreative.bigcartel.com/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2222 on: October 27, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »

So... Anyone got this one?

I got the variant.

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2223 on: October 27, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
I was hoping to get one of each .. But it was earlier than I expected and I was out of the office and epic fail on my phone after the tweet .. So now IM ISO .. I think of the two the variant is the best .. but I like the "movie poster" qualities of the regular as well :)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2224 on: October 27, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »
I passed on JP. It seems a little bit too photoshopped-ish for my tastes (Dinos off the background), but I do like the colors and the use of the title font.

I am waiting for a Hitchcock series from Mondo. Then its game on.

I was mistaken,