Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538761 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2175 on: September 27, 2011, 10:38:46 PM »
Check my collection... Prints.  You might find a few in there :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2176 on: September 28, 2011, 12:45:25 AM »
Soooooooooooo. No Alamos for me since Dracula in Jan.

Miss anything?

Nope, lots of useless shit that people will be turning a quick buck for now but will go the way of 90's "concert" posters in the future.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2177 on: September 28, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
This one is up there for me, top 5 or so in Mondo's history to date.

Never thought it would hit this price point, especially this early. Wow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLTERGEIST-LIMITED-EDITION-MOVIE-POSTER-KEN-TAYLOR-ONLY-190-MADE-MONDO-/300602699619?pt=Art_Prints&hash=item45fd512f63#ht_573wt_1270
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2178 on: September 28, 2011, 05:18:41 PM »
Ouch! I sold mine for $120 two weeks ago! I checked the price history on Expresso. That price is WAY beyond what it previously has sold for.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2179 on: September 28, 2011, 05:25:21 PM »
Yes, it blew the price ceiling on this one.

I did see that you sold yours there earlier this month, but I also noticed that for the most part, this piece does much better on ebay than on EB, which is usually the case but never to this extent.

Might be one of the rarities from Mondo in which the print is far and away better than the initial OS. Its a great print.

I was mistaken,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2180 on: September 28, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »
Ebay is a crapshoot. I'm selling most of my Mondos. I put my Star Wars Stout on EBay and had 43(!) watchers. It quickly went to $200 and stayed there and attracted ZERO last minute bids. I assumed the same thing would happen with the Poltergeist.

guest8

« Reply #2181 on: September 28, 2011, 08:00:38 PM »
Ebay is a crapshoot. I'm selling most of my Mondos. I put my Star Wars Stout on EBay and had 43(!) watchers. It quickly went to $200 and stayed there and attracted ZERO last minute bids. I assumed the same thing would happen with the Poltergeist.

Ohh .. what other Mondos are you selling ?? ;)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2182 on: September 28, 2011, 08:04:55 PM »
Ohh .. what other Mondos are you selling ?? ;)

All the Mondos that have become ridiculously inflated!  I'm cashing out to buy "real" posters.  These Mondos are Beanie Babies redux!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:05:37 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2183 on: September 28, 2011, 08:09:16 PM »
Mel, do you have a Stout Big Trouble in Little China?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2184 on: September 28, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »
No, I've sold or traded all my high-demand - and arguably ridiculously "price inflated" - Mondos:  Phantom of the Opera ($550), Bride of Frankenstein (traded for $450 poster), Poltergeist ($120), all my Star Wars Stouts ($200 - $300 each), Dirty Harry ($275).   The rest of my Mondos are nothing special.  But my profits on these have slightly diminished the financial beating I've taken on my "real" movie posters overall.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:21:12 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2185 on: September 29, 2011, 12:24:35 AM »
This one is up there for me, top 5 or so in Mondo's history to date.

Never thought it would hit this price point, especially this early. Wow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLTERGEIST-LIMITED-EDITION-MOVIE-POSTER-KEN-TAYLOR-ONLY-190-MADE-MONDO-/300602699619?pt=Art_Prints&hash=item45fd512f63#ht_573wt_1270

That's just insane.  Someone who has no patience and no idea that it's out there for $100 or less.  Holy Crap!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2186 on: September 29, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
These Mondos are Beanie Babies redux!

Until we experience the Great Mondo Market Crash, this is a bit premature.

Early Stouts, most Moss, some Taylors...only going up, even in baby steps at worst.

And when Poltergeist is bringing over 5 bills...not exactly Beanie Baby territory.

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2187 on: September 29, 2011, 10:52:18 AM »
That's just insane.  Someone who has no patience and no idea that it's out there for $100 or less.  Holy Crap!

It reminds me of someone I know :)

My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2188 on: September 29, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »
Nope, lots of useless shit that people will be turning a quick buck for now but will go the way of 90's "concert" posters in the future.

Damn, does that mean that I hung onto my Toad the Wet Sprocket gig poster too long?

I was mistaken,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2189 on: September 29, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »
Until we experience the Great Mondo Market Crash, this is a bit premature.

It's impossible to predict. The Beanie Baby craze lasted four years (95-99). IMHO the best strategy is to cash out any Mondo selling for several times its original price. Their prices won't go up forever and, like the Beanie Babies, may very well crash in the medium term.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2190 on: September 29, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »
It's impossible to predict. The Beanie Baby craze lasted four years (95-99). IMHO the best strategy is to cash out any Mondo selling for several times its original price. Their prices won't go up forever and, like the Beanie Babies, may very well crash in the medium term.

I don't disagree with this. But we are still years away from labeling Mondo prices a crash.  As I said earlier, all they do is keep going up in value (with a few exceptions) and we are well past this 4 year mark.

They seem to shoot up in value with more consistency than film posters do.

A Star Wars or Raiders OS can be had very easily around the clock on ebay for generally the same price. The Moss set, which most folks seem to loathe, keeps going up. The difference is with each Moss sale, it takes away a set from the market which will keep dwindling out of its print run of 350. 

SW and Indy posters? They will be more common than Walmarts even after we are all taking a dirt nap.

I was mistaken,

Bruce

« Reply #2191 on: September 29, 2011, 01:13:18 PM »
"The difference is with each Moss sale, it takes away a set from the market which will keep dwindling out of its print run of 350."

I think you will find that all of these, like Arnold, WILL be back!

Bruce

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2192 on: September 29, 2011, 01:59:16 PM »
Tens of millions if not hundreds of millions of beanie babes were sold. There are only 275 regular and variant The Thing (Stout) posters and only 400 Star Wars (Moss) poster sets in existence. I believe most Mondo posters will eventually be subject to at best a market adjustment and at worst a crash but that certain examples, particularly existing Stout and Moss posters for higher-profile films and early Alamo prints (which are very difficult to obtain) will not suffer in this way and their value will remain high and/or increase to a high multiple of the original purchase price.

Mark    
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:00:07 PM by marklawd »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2193 on: September 29, 2011, 02:45:58 PM »
If Alamo goes out of business, the value of these prints will drop like a rock. Hopefully, that won't happen, but it could. The Red Vic just went under.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2194 on: September 29, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »
Tens of millions if not hundreds of millions of beanie babes were sold. There are only 275 regular and variant The Thing (Stout) posters and only 400 Star Wars (Moss) poster sets in existence. I believe most Mondo posters will eventually be subject to at best a market adjustment and at worst a crash but that certain examples, particularly existing Stout and Moss posters for higher-profile films and early Alamo prints (which are very difficult to obtain) will not suffer in this way and their value will remain high and/or increase to a high multiple of the original purchase price.

Mark    

I totally believe that.  A lot of the movies these prints are based on have already proven their longevity... Early eighties flicks like An American Werewolf in London, The Thing and Blade Runner, thirties masterpieces like Frankenstein and Dracula and even to some extent the recent Kill Bill.  These movies are here to stay, and if the depiction of these movies are good, if the artist's eye is recognized, the prints will survive, especially because there are so few of them.  I honestly do not see Stout's The Thing or Ansin's Bride of Frankenstein go down in value, even if Mondo cease to exist.

This is also why these prints have nothing to do with concert posters for concerts or bands people have already forgotten.  These concerts were not recorded, then cannot be seen by new generations and the posters are now worthless. 

Similarly, a lot of prints based on lesser known movies will lose value to eventually amount to nothing.  So title and imagery are key to longevity.

IMO, of course.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2195 on: October 02, 2011, 09:38:50 PM »
Another view from a real man of genius: www*poster-fix*com on Ebay (no, it's not Chris Cloutier):

Charlie

« Reply #2196 on: October 02, 2011, 10:15:52 PM »
Another view from a real man of genius: www*poster-fix*com on Ebay (no, it's not Chris Cloutier):

A genius who doesn't do local pickup!   moron1

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2197 on: October 02, 2011, 10:21:17 PM »
A genius who doesn't do local pickup!   moron1

Oh, that guy's a major $#&*head.  His name is "John."  He's got some good stuff for sale but it's overgraded.  I also wrote him about a poster and it just "disappeared" without any explanation.  Avoid that guy.

Charlie

« Reply #2198 on: October 02, 2011, 10:47:14 PM »
Oh, that guy's a major $#&*head.  His name is "John."  He's got some good stuff for sale but it's overgraded.  I also wrote him about a poster and it just "disappeared" without any explanation.  Avoid that guy.

So I shouldn't try to meet up with him?  

I already bought something from him so to late...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:47:40 PM by Charlie »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2199 on: October 08, 2011, 09:14:39 AM »
New York Times published an article about Mondo today:

October 7, 2011
Hand-Drawn Homage to Classic Films
By MEKADO MURPHY

THE movie poster is dead. Long live the movie poster. Gone are the days of hand-drawn studio posters that possessed a creativity and artistry matching that of the films themselves. Think of “King Kong,” with its harrowing illustrations, or Saul Bass’s Minimalist design for “Vertigo.” The contemporary studio poster is often a literal, less adventurous affair, like the vision of Julia Roberts on the back of Tom Hanks’s scooter in the poster for “Larry Crowne,” a typical example of today’s photography-driven advertisements.

But an outfit far from Hollywood has sought to recapture the vintage hand-drawn spirit while injecting some contemporary flair. The company is Mondo, an offshoot of the Austin, Tex., theater chain Alamo Drafthouse. It commissions artists to design alternative versions of posters for films considered cult or genre pictures. The styles range from multi-tiered, character-packed collage (like Tyler Stout’s fanboy-friendly work for “The Empire Strikes Back”) to subdued prints that express a movie’s mood more than anything else (like the simple smoking gun forming Clint Eastwood’s profile in Olly Moss’s “Dirty Harry”).

As wild as the company is about movies, Mondo is serious about its posters, and it is not alone in this sentiment. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which has an archive of more than 38,000 movie posters, recently started adding Mondo’s work to its collection. While the archive is diverse, adding a large series of alternative posters from an independent company is a rarity.

“We’re always seeking out the unusual,” said Anne Coco, an archivist for the Academy, which will collect every poster Mondo designs from now on. “As we became more aware of what Mondo was doing, it just seemed like a good fit.”

That’s quite a step up from Mondo’s beginnings, in 2004, as Mondo Tees, a T-shirt shop started by Tim League, the founder and chief executive of Alamo Drafthouse. The shop carried shirts decorated with classic movie images, as well as vintage iron-on decals.

The same year the shop opened, Alamo Drafthouse collaborated with the Austin nightclub Emo’s for a music and film event called Cinemania. Mondo made its first foray into poster creation, turning to Rob Jones, a designer of rock posters. The results were high-energy screen prints for “The Warriors,” “Foxy Brown” and “Better Off Dead.”

“It was so novel to have subject material that was based in cult movies,” Mr. League said about the collaboration, “that there was interest from other artists saying, ‘Hey, I’d love to be involved in what you guys are doing.’ We honestly didn’t even know what we were doing yet. It was just three posters.”

They began to figure it out fairly quickly and commissioned more posters the next year for the Alamo Drafthouse’s Rolling Roadshow, a national tour of screenings at towns and cities famous as settings for the movies shown. Meanwhile the Drafthouse continued to work with artists on posters for special screenings offered by the chain in Austin. Though a physical shop still exists, the center of gravity shifted to an online site with posters as the focus.

Mondo wasn’t blazing a trail. “There’s a long tradition of theaters doing their own posters,” said Rudy Franchi, an expert on movie collectibles who runs the Web site posterappraisal.com. “There was a famous movie theater in London, the Academy Cinema, and they had a man named Peter Strausfeld who did these beautiful woodblock posters for them.”

But Mondo is one of the few to parlay its designs into a thriving business. Licensing deals allow it to produce official posters for series in which there is major fan interest, like a “Star Wars” collection from 2010. A set of three posters from that series, designed by Mr. Moss, was recently listed on eBay for $7,499.99.

And studios are now going to Mondo to request alternative posters. This summer it collaborated with Paramount Pictures on posters for “Transformers: Dark of the Moon” (with a highly stylized, colorful look) and “Captain America: The First Avenger” (with a stark, retro feel). While a studio doesn’t often commission alternatives, Paramount executives saw Mondo’s work appealing to a coveted demographic. But designs are set on Mondo’s terms, not the studio’s.

“One of the riders in our contract is that we pick the artist and have, more or less, final cut on what we do,” said Justin Ishmael, Mondo’s creative director.

Its artist roster has grown significantly over the years, including a few high-profile names. Mondo used Shepard Fairey, best known for his poster for the Obama campaign, to work on John Carpenter’s “They Live.” And Drew Struzan, one of the mammoths in the field for his work on posters in the “Indiana Jones” and “Back to the Future” franchises, designed a 21-color “Frankenstein” poster that feels as if it could have been the original advertisement. (All 325 in the run sold out, at $285 each.)

This year Mondo began a directors’ series, with posters focusing on the bodies of work from the likes of Wes Craven, Zack Snyder and Guillermo del Toro.

“I felt completely overwhelmed and happy,” Mr. Del Toro said about being chosen for the series. “I’m a huge fan of their posters. They involved me in approving every step of the design. They took some of my notes to heart, but mostly my notes were ‘Wow!’ The ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ poster is the most beautiful piece I’ve seen.” That Art Nouveau-like concoction evokes the film’s fantasy elements in a lush composition.

Paradoxically, while Mondo has mostly become a poster business that sells T-shirts on the side, buying a poster from the site is virtually impossible. By the time one is displayed on the site, it has already sold out. Each release generates considerable traffic, so Mr. Ishmael uses the company’s Twitter account, @MondoNews, to announce, randomly, when posters go on sale. The limited editions can sell out in a minute or less (raising their coolness factor); often it’s easier for a casual buyer to find Mondo’s work on eBay.

While the store’s posters aren’t frequently selling to collectors of classic material, its work is being invited to the party. Heritage, an auction house that hosts the largest sales of vintage movie posters, added some of Mondo’s pieces to its catalog this year.

Time will tell how Mondo’s work fits into movie memorabilia history, but for now it’s giving genre fans a new visual way to celebrate the films they love.