Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539246 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2125 on: September 01, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »
I really don't understand why Mondo is so in love with Whalen.  Now they're doing a Pixar series, and chose Whalen to do Monsters, Inc. 

Passing, passing, passing...

I don't own one Whalen and intend to keep it this way.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2126 on: September 01, 2011, 03:39:22 PM »
I'm passing too - it's such a beautiful and colourful film, I don't really feel the print captures that spirit. I'm excited to see further Pixar themed releases though.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2127 on: September 01, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »
Me too.  As long as Stout, Ansin, Cooper, Taylor and Moss do them.

bed1
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2128 on: September 01, 2011, 03:58:37 PM »
It's excellent and better than all the movie posters for Monsters Inc, except the international:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2129 on: September 01, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »
You're joking, right?

Those colors are hideous... like a bad 70s carpet.  My ex wife's mother is Hungarian, and she loooooves colors like these (which, btw, have nothing to do with the actual movie).

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2130 on: September 01, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
I agree. I don't understand why they couldn't make a better palette for the good drawings.

BTW, if this is the pace of producing posters in Mondo, soon enough fewer people will bother the random Friday clock.
Chengbo

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2131 on: September 01, 2011, 04:56:10 PM »
soon enough fewer people will bother the random Friday clock.

Throughout this thread you'll find dozens of other "this poster sucks, Mondo sucks, if there is any justice in the world it will fail soon" proclamations.  Yet Mondo continues to thrive. What does that tell you?

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2132 on: September 01, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »
So what will it take for somebody experienced to buy me a Monsters, Inc poster? No matter how hard I try, the webpage is always unavailable when I get there.

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2133 on: September 01, 2011, 05:30:57 PM »
I don't think Mondo sucks at all and I don't think it will be out of business in a long time. They are producing good art (and of course occasionally bad ones :)).
There certainly are many people admiring the art of the posters, like some of you guys do, which IMO is the driving force of Mondo's production. However, I believe many people take the "limited supply" more seriously than the art itself. That's why I said "fewer people will bother the random Friday clock". Of course, many of the individual poster will still be sold out very quickly after the random clock and might be sought for after the sold-out. But I suspect the crowd of the people who are staring at the twitter for the open clock on Friday will become smaller.
On another note, I don't know the business model of Mondo. But I think I can understand why the release of posters is at a faster pace than early years: 1) make a better profit; 2) more artists are dedicated. My concern is not the release frequency really, but the quality of art they are producing. If the quality control cannot catch up, although more good arts are produced in such a high pace, those bad ones are really impacting the credit, of course in a higher pace.

BTW, the monster inc. poster does not suck at all and the layout is just perfect. But the palette really makes me walk away. Hopefully the variant will be better.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:32:24 PM by wormie »
Chengbo

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2134 on: September 01, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
These (Jurassic Park and  Monster Inc) aren't for actual screenings are they?
Ves

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2135 on: September 01, 2011, 05:48:34 PM »
These (Jurassic Park and  Monster Inc) aren't for actual screenings are they?

Jurassic Park is. It's for the mystery movie.

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2136 on: September 01, 2011, 06:05:22 PM »
Dagnabit!  I really like the variant...regular is fugly...ah well,  can't have everything
Ves

guest8

« Reply #2137 on: September 01, 2011, 07:15:02 PM »
Jurassic Park is. It's for the mystery movie.

The 1st JP is .. the rest in the will probably be art prints or back dated prints tied to a screening that happened last month .. :P

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2138 on: September 01, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
The JP variant is interesting.  The sky is quite Taylor-ish...  Too bad the scene reminds me of the absolutely lame ending and ruins any interest.

The Monsters Inc. is typically Whalen, which is to say, typically second rate.  As usual, his color selection is simply terrible.  It's like they can't get Tan for the Pixar/Disney stuff, so, instead, they are trying his Salieri...

I don't think Mondo sucks at all and I don't think it will be out of business in a long time. They are producing good art (and of course occasionally bad ones :)).
There certainly are many people admiring the art of the posters, like some of you guys do, which IMO is the driving force of Mondo's production. However, I believe many people take the "limited supply" more seriously than the art itself.

Point-to-the-point, no fakin'...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2139 on: September 01, 2011, 09:16:24 PM »
There certainly are many people admiring the art of the posters, like some of you guys do, which IMO is the driving force of Mondo's production. However, I believe many people take the "limited supply" more seriously than the art itself.

Yes, all of this is very true. 

As much as I thought Mondo was on a slippery road earlier this year with a lot of subpar art, they have redeemed themselves this summer with solid work from great artists.  So grats to them.

I still believe Whalen is bad art, though.  IMHO of course.
My Personal Collection

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2140 on: September 02, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
Monsters Inc is UP...good luck.
Ves

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2141 on: September 02, 2011, 12:02:27 PM »
Fark me...that went quicker than I thought it would.

Ves

guest8

« Reply #2142 on: September 09, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »
Ok .. I think my missing of MMM2 may have been fate telling me to hold off just a bit longer .. 6 movies in one weekend in LA!!! If I can get tickets I will be there !! :)

I call dibs on T's couch !!! ;)

http://blog.mondotees.com/2011/09/09/were-bringing-the-mondo-mystery-movie-to-la/

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2143 on: September 09, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »
Funny thing... I won't even be there.  I'm running the Portland Marathon on Oct. 9.  I'll probably buy tickets anyways and send a friend of mine to all the screenings.

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2144 on: September 09, 2011, 06:48:46 PM »
Funny thing... I won't even be there.  I'm running the Portland Marathon on Oct. 9.  I'll probably buy tickets anyways and send a friend of mine to all the screenings.

T

I just really hope that I can get like a weekend pass for the whole thing .. Although flying out for one show would be cool .. the odds of getting a mediocre print is lessened by making all 6 screenings !! :D So since you will be gone where will the guest house keys be at ?!? :P

guest8

« Reply #2145 on: September 12, 2011, 07:35:28 PM »
For anyone that was waiting .. The Mondo/Struzan Frankenstein print is being sold tonight at the New Bev cinema for $285 .. They are screening Frankenstein and the print run is 325. Oh and the seating capacity for the New Bev is 350 ... Tickets for the event can only be bought at the door.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2146 on: September 12, 2011, 07:40:53 PM »
This is the BIG ONE!  I'm already standing in line.  The last time I did this was at a Bruce Springsteen concert.
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2147 on: September 12, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
just announced .. only 75 prints being sold at the show tonight !!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2148 on: September 12, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I'm #12 in line.  If people don't cut the line, I should be okay  ;D

T
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2149 on: September 12, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »
I'm #12 in line.  If people don't cut the line, I should be okay  ;D

T

NERDS!!!