Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538716 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #2025 on: July 23, 2011, 02:50:57 PM »
Don't like.  So far, I don't regret choosing yesterday to go to Comic Con, but the day is still young.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #2026 on: July 23, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »
I really like this one .. Also this is a gold variant .. So id expect a regular online at some point ..

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2027 on: July 23, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »
Don't like.  So far, I don't regret choosing yesterday to go to Comic Con, but the day is still young.
Is it the overall image you dont like or something else?.
Im a bit undecided on the use of the vertical strokes..
But i think the palette and layout is pretty good.

Stew

guest8

« Reply #2028 on: July 23, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »
I finally did it Mel .. I listened to you and made a picasa album of my movie related prints !! :)

I still have a few more Mondos to pull out and get a picture of but thats most of the ones I have ..

https://picasaweb.google.com/106177607191254337017?authkey=Gv1sRgCLiszKbTu5SQJA

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2029 on: July 23, 2011, 03:51:32 PM »
New Tong SDCC Exclusive

Verrrry nice.
Gotta get me one of these.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2030 on: July 23, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
I finally did it Mel .. I listened to you and made a picasa album of my movie related prints !! :)

I still have a few more Mondos to pull out and get a picture of but thats most of the ones I have ..

Congrats - now how hard was that?

Great collection but you've "fallen" off the "real" movie poster bandwagon.  You need to get right with Jesus (the Bowler) and start buying some more classic one sheets instead of these commercial prints, which are only "side dishes" in this hobby :)

guest8

« Reply #2031 on: July 23, 2011, 04:10:31 PM »
Congrats - now how hard was that?

Great collection but you've "fallen" off the "real" movie poster bandwagon.  You need to get right with Jesus (the Bowler) and start buying some more classic one sheets instead of these commercial prints, which are only "side dishes" in this hobby :)

Oh I still buy Theatrical posters .. I just got my Bus Stop for the upcoming Girl with the Dragon Tattoo .. Im hoping to get a 1S and Quad for the advanced posters soon as well ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2032 on: July 23, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
Is it the overall image you dont like or something else?.
Im a bit undecided on the use of the vertical strokes..
But i think the palette and layout is pretty good.

Stew

The thing about it is, art is extremely subjective.  What pleases some can make others throw up.  That's just the nature of it.  My sister, who runs our gallery in Paris, is a 6th generation art dealer.  I have been exposed to a lot of art in my life, and I've learned that there is no right or wrong.  Nor can it be explained, because it works on both an emotional and intellectual level.  A lot of people force themselves to love Van Gogh, Picasso or Matisse because they were told to.  They might understand the work intellectually, but be completely detached from it emotionally.  And it is okay.  It is okay to say: "I don't like it."

To go back to Tong's Invisible Man, there is nothing about it, intellectually or emotionally, that interest me.  It is just... bah.   A lot of people think the same about Tyler's work.  It is their prerogative and they are as right as I am to love it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2033 on: July 23, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »
Thanks for the insight T.
I wasnt really questioning your taste in any choice you make.i was genuinely interested in your view on this one,and im glad you took the time to reply.  thumbup

Stew

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2034 on: July 23, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
I know, but I didn't want to just say that it does nothing to me.  It's a little hard to explain, so to make my point, I thought I'd tell you where I'm coming from and why I pass a judgement, right or wrong.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2035 on: July 23, 2011, 05:54:04 PM »

Very nice, fallen. Quite the galleries.  thumbup

guest8

« Reply #2036 on: July 23, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »
Thanks Brude ..

Another Mondo SDCC Release !!

Danger - Cowboys & Aliens

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2037 on: July 23, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »
Ah... This one I really like!

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2038 on: July 23, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »
I do to .. Theres talk on EB about another version being available later on as well .. but that blue is awesome :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2039 on: July 23, 2011, 07:32:18 PM »
Now, that's more like it.
I think it's more creative and dramatic than any of the studio paper I've seen for COWBOYS AND ALIENS yet.
 thumbup

BTW, Fallen...
Your Cinema Overdrive gallery is the first where I've seen all their work together and I much prefer what they are doing over Mondo. Sharp stuff there...

guest8

« Reply #2040 on: July 23, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »
Matt has a great thing going on over there at Cinema Overdrive .. He truly is a fan just like the rest of us and you can tell by talking with him about their projects and what he has coming up. He really is a great guy !

Here is their merch page .. You can see some of their older stuff that I dont have as well ...
http://www.cinemaoverdrive.net/merch/

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2041 on: July 29, 2011, 03:44:32 AM »
3 Cowboy and Aliens prints today then - I think all 3 of them are strong (certainly better looking than the uninspired theatrical posters). I doubt I'll go for any of them though as the film sounds like it's a bit of a stinker, but may change my mind this afternoon.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2042 on: July 29, 2011, 12:07:52 PM »
Already had the Danger, so just bought the Meadows.  Not a big fan of Whalen.

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #2043 on: July 29, 2011, 12:16:17 PM »
I passed on all of them .. I like the danger .. But his stuff seems to all look the same .. :(

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #2044 on: July 29, 2011, 08:29:15 PM »
check out the video - Drawing Cowboys & Aliens

Time Lapse Drawing

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2045 on: July 29, 2011, 08:39:19 PM »
What you've really gotta love is how Mondo drops 420 prints (or whatever they did that they had) on their site, and then there's Danger dropping however many others of his "Artists Proofs" on the market too on his site.  When you get down to it, this whole print business is quite a racket, especially when no one can say just how many of those AP's are out there.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

JessicaLee

« Reply #2046 on: July 30, 2011, 02:38:35 PM »
What you've really gotta love is how Mondo drops 420 prints (or whatever they did that they had) on their site, and then there's Danger dropping however many others of his "Artists Proofs" on the market too on his site.  When you get down to it, this whole print business is quite a racket, especially when no one can say just how many of those AP's are out there.

I believe Daniel says how many AP's there are on the sale page for the poster. http://store.tinymediaempire.com/cowboysandaliens.aspx

So there's 50 AP and they're numbered. Mondo had 420 - all numbered as well. No trickery going on.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2047 on: July 30, 2011, 02:51:10 PM »
So it's 470 total for the Danger, Jessica?  It seems like a lot.

What makes you guys decide on the count?  Why did Janee Meadows, whose print is quite nice, get only 170?

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2048 on: July 30, 2011, 02:51:52 PM »
I believe Daniel says how many AP's there are on the sale page for the poster. http://store.tinymediaempire.com/cowboysandaliens.aspx

So there's 50 AP and they're numbered. Mondo had 420 - all numbered as well. No trickery going on.

Hey Jessica, the silent majority here thinks Mondo is doing a great job overall and we appreciate Mondo producing all these excellent posters.  Of course, we're frustrated that it's difficult to get the best of them!

JessicaLee

« Reply #2049 on: July 30, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »

What makes you guys decide on the count?  Why did Janee Meadows, whose print is quite nice, get only 170?

Edition sizes are typically determined by Justin, Mitch, Rob, and the artist. But I can explain what I know in this situation...

We consider Daniel a popular artist with a large fan base, plus we knew we wanted to bring part of the edition to Comic-Con and reserve some for online sales for folks who couldn't make it to San Diego.

When we introduce a new artist into the fold, we tend to print conservatively since we don't know how people will respond to an unfamiliar name, no matter how aesthetically pleasing their design might be. (I love Janee's print) For example - Martin Ansin's first poster for us, "Metropolis", has a much smaller edition compared to his later releases with us.

-J