Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538859 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1975 on: July 12, 2011, 09:15:23 AM »
Keep in mind the price of the Walking Dead poster Struzan did, I dont think this baby is going to be cheap. I wouldnt doubt 5 bills even.

My thoughts exactly.
I can't recall how expensive his CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON print was, but it is was way up there also.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1976 on: July 12, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »
Mondo historically has priced pretty low for various reasons, so my bet is $150 with 400 run.  More than $250 would be way, way out of character for them.

This has all been hashed out before in this thread.  They continually price below market demand and print fewer copies than market demand.  I think they do it because they want to keep it going long-term and are sacrificing short-term profits to preserve long-term demand. 

guest8

« Reply #1977 on: July 12, 2011, 11:34:49 AM »
I disagree on this print and this one alone .. I mean weve came close to $150 on some Hrokey prints from Mondo .. and this will have 30 layers and its Struzan .. I kind of doubt Drew will take 100 posters as payment for the use of his work. I wouldnt be surprised if the rights to that artwork cost them near as much as the Universal license .. Which if anyone doesnt know I spoke to someone at Universal and their MINIMUM license agreement started at $10k .. So they need to pull in something to cover cost and make some kind of profit even though the publicity is probably worth sacrificing some of their profits.

Id say the over-under is at $250 .. What do you guys think?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1978 on: July 12, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »
 North of $200 and I think you're better off buying a lithograph for $325 from S2 Art. They use crazy high-quality production methods and the lithographs are 27x41.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:49:29 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1979 on: July 12, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
North of $200 and I think you're better off buying a lithograph for $325 from S2 Art. They use crazy high-quality production methods and the lithographs are 27x41.

I disagree, if I wanted the same art as the original I would spend $12 on a reprint not $325. This is new art for the title and assumed that Drew will be signing them.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1980 on: July 12, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »
I disagree, if I wanted the same art as the original I would spend $12 on a reprint not $325. This is new art for the title and assumed that Drew will be signing them.

Agree on the initial point. Reprints should never cross the $20 mark, IMO.

Also for the record, the Struzan art isn't new. It is a painting he did in 2003, so it is recycled.

While I am still pumped about this particular piece, the fact remains that Mondo didn't really 'bring Drew out of retirement' like boldly stated, they were just allowed to print something that has been sitting somewhere in his house for the past 8 years.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1981 on: July 12, 2011, 02:16:38 PM »
Really?  It is not a print done for Mondo?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #1983 on: July 12, 2011, 02:56:33 PM »
Really?  It is not a print done for Mondo?

i thought this was common knowledge .. Thats why I commented earlier on how this Struzan print drop is similar to the Chris Ware drop .. They use old art work and just have it screen printed to get another big artist in their little family. But the key differences IMHO are .. This artwork rocks while the Ware artwork was "odd" to me .. and the Ware piece was an official poster already, this is just a painting that Struzan had done and AFAIK it was never used for anything else in any official capacity .. Which makes it totally different in my eyes and still very collectible.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1984 on: July 12, 2011, 03:07:22 PM »
I didn't know.  Does Mondo mention it anywhere?  The way I read it, they had struck this amazing deal and commissioned Struzan to do a print for them.  I never read anywhere that it was a recycled print.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1985 on: July 12, 2011, 03:34:20 PM »
I didn't know.  Does Mondo mention it anywhere?  The way I read it, they had struck this amazing deal and commissioned Struzan to do a print for them.  I never read anywhere that it was a recycled print.

Im sure thats exactly what they wanted it to sound like. I had just seen links to the original artwork on EB (as wonka linked above) and shows on there Date 2003 for that artwork.

But as I said before I dont believe its been used for anything else so making a poster of that artwork is fine for me .. THe only issue I had with the Ware piece is they just took an official movie poster and made a screen print out of it. So there were already thousands if not 10's of thousands of cheaper versions available already. Now with this Struzan the only other version of this artwork that is available is the original and thats $90k so I dont see myself buying that anytime soon:P

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1986 on: July 12, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »
In the interview with Slashfilm, which Justin tweeted, Justin repeatedly stated that they convinced Struzan to allow Mondo to make a print out of his original existing Frankenstein painting:

"And [Struzan] said ‘I love Frankenstein. I did this painting for nobody, I didn’t do it for anybody, I just did it for myself because I like this movie’ and I was like, that’s perfect, we can totally use that to do a poster.... So I brought Kevin Tong, and he’s a master at printing and talking about this stuff, so he talked to Drew about it and he brought the file on his computer and we showed him what we could do with overlays and make it different from a giclee."

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #1987 on: July 18, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »
Stout and Moss captain america posters (and Tan), they drop those the same day prepare for server meltdown.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1988 on: July 18, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
Aren't these Comic Con exclusives though?

Could be wrong, haven't read up on this stuff today...just know they have a booth there this year.

I was mistaken,

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #1989 on: July 18, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »
Supposedly some at the con, then available online TBD.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #1990 on: July 19, 2011, 08:33:26 AM »
Info regarding Mondo's CAPTAIN AMERICA prints.  Like the Olly Moss & Stouts, not so much the Tans

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1991 on: July 19, 2011, 08:40:30 AM »
Info regarding Mondo's CAPTAIN AMERICA prints.  Like the Olly Moss & Stouts, not so much the Tans
I think both the Olly Moss examples are the pick of the bunch,but at the same time they do remind me of the recent slew of Black Swan Art Deco pics.
The Stouts will prob fetch a million moonrocks in 6 weeks,but to me they are predictable.

Stew
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:46:52 AM by stewart boyle »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1992 on: July 19, 2011, 10:20:01 AM »
I really like the color schemes on the Stout's...  not enough to buy it, though.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1993 on: July 19, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
Okay, so THIS is a nice batch.  The Stout is exceptional (IMO), the Moss is pretty good (not a big fan of Art Deco, but for what it is, it is pretty cool) and the rest is definitely up there.  So Mitch, if you read this, this is ALL good stuff.

bed1

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1994 on: July 19, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
Okay, so THIS is a nice batch.  The Stout is exceptional (IMO), the Moss is pretty good (not a big fan of Art Deco, but for what it is, it is pretty cool) and the rest is definitely up there.  So Mitch, if you read this, this is ALL good stuff.

bed1

T

Not sure I would call Moss' posters art deco... more like WWII-esque.  And being an admirer of WWII posters, I can't help but think Moss missed the boat on these.  I respect what he was trying to do... but they could have been so much better given the incredible source material to pick from.

guest8

« Reply #1995 on: July 20, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »
Im not a huge Moss fan but I kinda of like these .. That is like not love .. I feel I must have at least a regular Stout to go with the comic I picked up though. Just for the sake of collecting if I get the chance to get any of them Id go for the Stouts and Moss prints .. Tans speak to me even less than Moss'. But I may be able to trade off the Moss prints for some others that Id rather have in my collection.

This is all with a big if though .. Has Mondo officially stated if these posters are a SDCC exclusive drop (no online sales) ? It kind of sounds like thats what they want people to think but from what little I have seen they havent said one way or another and typically they just say out right "exclusive", "no online sales" when they do stuff like that. I am guessing they want to create as much hype for SDCC and have everyone bombarding their booth. Then they may do an online release to appease the rest of us. Although I am getting the feeling I may have a better chance with a TS lottery than I will waging war on mondotees.com :P

guest8

« Reply #1996 on: July 20, 2011, 01:47:14 PM »
anyone interested in any of the Munn RR prints?

http://jasonmunn.com/posters.php

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1997 on: July 20, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »
Fugly...but only cause I'm a completist, would have liked to get the No Country and Blood Simple...ah well.
Ves

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1998 on: July 20, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »
Fugly...but only cause I'm a completist, would have liked to get the No Country and Blood Simple...ah well.

I agree.  Thankfully, I am not a completist.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1999 on: July 20, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »

I am a completist, Ves, but I think you have to draw a line somewhere.  If you start buying what every artist does on a specific title, it's endless.  Anyone can draw anything about everything.  Personally, I stick to what studios put out there and only buy what I really like of the rest.  I passed on that ugly Jay Ryan CE3K print (even though I collect Spielberg) because it was... well, ugly.

T
My Personal Collection