Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539322 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1950 on: July 11, 2011, 04:10:07 PM »
So I did a quick math...

I own 97 of those Mondo pieces and there are 16 I'd still like to get.  The rest, I really don''t care for.

I wonder if someone, aside from Mondo people of course, owns them all.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1951 on: July 11, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
So I did a quick math...

I own 97 of those Mondo pieces and there are 16 I'd still like to get.  The rest, I really don''t care for.

I wonder if someone, aside from Mondo people of course, owns them all.

T

I dont even think any of the mondo crew has been there for all of the releases .. Doyle may have had a lot of the older ones from when he ran things but he sold his lot on ebay .. and Justin and those guys may have all of the ones since they took over .. The only one Ive ever heard talk about owning all of the prints they have put out is Harry Knowles.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1952 on: July 11, 2011, 04:39:19 PM »
Marklawd and the accursed Carson have all or almost all of them, as I recall.

guest8

« Reply #1953 on: July 11, 2011, 04:49:18 PM »
Marklawd and the accursed Carson have all or almost all of them, as I recall.

Do they have all of them or a lot of them?? There are some that are just unheard of to find .. Even mondos new archive site is incomplete .. I think it would be near impossible to have them all unless you were affiliated with the Mondo crew like Knowles is .. and you got them each from mondo .. There are some super obscure ones that even with all of my digging I had never seen until Mondo posted them on their own archive ..

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1954 on: July 11, 2011, 04:58:05 PM »
That archive website is a POS, how about edition size and artist for each, you know useful stuff like that.

guest8

« Reply #1955 on: July 11, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
That archive website is a POS, how about edition size and artist for each, you know useful stuff like that.

LOL .. I was going to say something about the lack of info .. But I thought I would sound bitter/biased :P

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1956 on: July 11, 2011, 05:37:56 PM »
It has the artist for each poster.  For example, here are all the Todd Slater posters.

guest8

« Reply #1957 on: July 11, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
It has the artist for each poster.  For example, here are all the Todd Slater posters.

Thats the only thing Im actually jealous of .. They built their site on a database so you can quickly/easily reorganize with minimal effort. Like clicking on the artists names or the series names and you see all prints associated with that link .. The rest of it is just a gallery of pictures .. Some awesome pictures but still just a gallery .. as far as content goes Id rate my site higher than theirs .. then again I am biased :)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1958 on: July 11, 2011, 05:54:40 PM »

It confirms the bad opinion I had of certain artists.  I kinda knew I didn't like Slater, now I know for sure.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1959 on: July 11, 2011, 05:56:03 PM »
I dont know ,, most of his stuff sure .. not my thing .. But I think the Yoda and Boogie nights are solid pieces.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #1960 on: July 11, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »
I am sitting at 210+/- a couple of them, wishing I had a few other and wishing I hadnt bought some as well. I didnt know that Nosferatu existed, would like to have that one.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1961 on: July 11, 2011, 07:25:36 PM »
Wow, 210...  I don't know what you bought, because 113 would be my absolute max (the 97 I own and 16 I want.)  And amongst the ones I own, I could do without 7 or 8.  How many of the ones you own could you honestly get rid of?

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #1962 on: July 11, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »
I am sitting at 210+/- a couple of them, wishing I had a few other and wishing I hadnt bought some as well. I didnt know that Nosferatu existed, would like to have that one.

So which ones do you have that youd be willing to part with !? :)

here are some of my ISO's
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=67339

guest8

« Reply #1963 on: July 11, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »
Wow, 210...  I don't know what you bought, because 113 would be my absolute max (the 97 I own and 16 I want.)  And amongst the ones I own, I could do without 7 or 8.  How many of the ones you own could you honestly get rid of?

T

I have no idea how many I have total .. but I have 20 hanging in my theater room right now :)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1964 on: July 11, 2011, 08:07:52 PM »

Some actual information might be nice.  I notice that they are including the red artist's only variant for Goldfinger, for some reason.

As for Slater, his Clerks was a very good take on a difficult movie to capture.  The death star on the cigarette package is a nice touch.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1965 on: July 11, 2011, 10:04:18 PM »
To have a 1% chance of getting this, buy a $200 gift certificate from Mondo, take the day off from work when it is released, upgrade your home internet service, sit by your computer pressing F5 madly for several hours straight until it randomly goes on sale, and maniacally enter all the order information with lightning-fast speed.  Also consider sacrificing a goat to the poster gods.  

Alternatively, skip the initial sale, earn $1000 selling crack, and buy off Ebay from the flippers.  

Not to discourage you or anything....

For a moment when I saw it, I thought of going through the drop.  But then I read this, Mel, and you returned me to sanity.

Just ... Not ... Worth ... It....

But, I have no doubt it will become one of the great Mondo posters.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:10:11 PM by holiday »
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1966 on: July 11, 2011, 10:21:13 PM »
For a moment when I saw it, I thought of going through the drop.  But then I read this, Mel, and you returned me to sanity.

Just ... Not ... Worth ... It....

But, I have no doubt it will become one of the great Mondo posters.

Holiday, meet your competition.  "DylansDad" on Expresso said he refreshed for 9 HOURS for that not-so-great Gallery1988 drop this weekend.  It will be 10 times worse for the Frankenstein:

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1967 on: July 12, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »
I mean, really.  Really?  I think he mistook the poster tube for a vagina.  Nine hours?

And, I guess here's the question.  What's the longest anyone here has ever hit the refresh key for a drop?  I'll cop to a few hours, but I don't know if that counts because I used to use a firefox plugin that automatically refreshed the page every 5 seconds so that I could go about my work.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #1968 on: July 12, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
I think that this "Frankie" is "one of the great ones" JUST because it resembles a vintage poster.  If they did it in a style that represented one of their modern posters it would suck sack.

Also, 30 screens is TOTAL bullshit.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1969 on: July 12, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »
I mean, really.  Really?  I think he mistook the poster tube for a vagina.  Nine hours?

;D ;D ;D

I refreshed for about 3hrs for a print release from Bansky once. Despite it being an edition of 650, it sold out in about half a millisecond (I didn't even see the add to cart button, it just went to sold out in one refresh). Put me off such shenanigans for ever, life is just too short!

Hopefully Mondo will do the Struzan Frankenstein print in a massive, massive edition so prices on the secondary market aren't too obscene, I can see the pro flippers who have scripts swarming all over this release.

Also, 30 screens is TOTAL bullshit.

In what way, Louie?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:40:59 AM by Tob »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1970 on: July 12, 2011, 02:43:52 AM »
I hope it's A LOT, just to discourage hesitant buyers and flippers.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1971 on: July 12, 2011, 03:12:56 AM »
I think that this "Frankie" is "one of the great ones" JUST because it resembles a vintage poster.  If they did it in a style that represented one of their modern posters it would suck sack.

This is exactly the reason, Louie, combined with the fact that Struzan, a true theatrical poster artist (vs graphic designers) has done the work, in magnificent "old world" style and form, with his signature touches. With the font style hearkening back to 1931 as well, this will be a sure fire winner and a hot one, to boot!

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1972 on: July 12, 2011, 04:17:12 AM »
I hope it's A LOT, just to discourage hesitant buyers and flippers.

Agreed, pricing the print at ‘market value’ is another tactic that could work well. Although I think the clamor for this will make for great publicity for Mondo, so it won’t be too highly priced.

Sounds like more releases are planned for Comic Con, I wonder what they’ll be? Do I remember reading someone was doing a Watchmen print for Mondo?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #1973 on: July 12, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »
Keep in mind the price of the Walking Dead poster Struzan did, I dont think this baby is going to be cheap. I wouldnt doubt 5 bills even.

guest8

« Reply #1974 on: July 12, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
I am having a really hard time trying to gauge what the interest is going to be for this print .. I think this is aimed at a totally different market than the usual Mondo groupies .. This will be higher quality and is more like a true movie poster (vintage on top of that) while everything else has been "gig posters" .. But, this is an older image and with the higher prices which I think we all agree will be more than $250 for one print .. We might possibly see another Chris Ware incident .. they reused an image to get a well known artist in the door and part of the Mondo family .. But its still sitting in the store .. Now mind you I thing that Drews piece is hands down 5000% better than that Ware poster .. But its a similar circumstance .. I am sure that the Struzan will sell out .. maybe .. I think it will just come down to print run and cost .. if they do 500+ at say $300-400 .. I think they will be around for a little bit .. forever in Mondo time but I dont see that selling out instantly .. and as far as secondary market I dont think gig poster collectors will care as much and for sure will not want to pay $1,000 for this .. But Movie poster collectors may be drawn in by the Struzan/Fank combo and be willing to drop some major coin on this limited edition run. Then again that would hinge on the overall costs and the size of the print run. So anyone can guess at what may happen but we will never know until its done.