Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538863 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1875 on: June 10, 2011, 11:56:46 AM »
Got one!  Is there going to be a variant?  Or should I stop refreshing  ;D

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1876 on: June 10, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »
Not surprising... a couple dozen on eBay already.  But I was surprised to see a bunch priced/sold at about $150-$250.  Has Mondo jumped the shark? 

I just got this one because I love the movie and there is a dearth of decent paper on the title.  Luckily, I also picked up a rolled quad recently as well (thanks Adam!).   

guest8

« Reply #1877 on: June 10, 2011, 12:33:21 PM »
I think the prices will not jump too high on this one just yet because Fairy will still be releasing some on his site as well .. I dont know if they will be the same print run or a variant though .. Not to mention the fact that this is like the Chris Ware situation .. Similar/Same artwork as a piece done previously by the artist .. No matter how good it is or well known the artist is, if its a re-hash of previously done art I dont think they will sell all that well ..

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1878 on: June 10, 2011, 12:35:58 PM »
I think the prices will not jump too high on this one just yet because Fairy will still be releasing some on his site as well .. I dont know if they will be the same print run or a variant though .. Not to mention the fact that this is like the Chris Ware situation .. Similar/Same artwork as a piece done previously by the artist .. No matter how good it is or well known the artist is, if its a re-hash of previously done art I dont think they will sell all that well ..

Thanks.  Do you have a pick of the previous work this is based on?

guest8

« Reply #1879 on: June 10, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »
Im not 100% sure but Im guessing it was a part of one of Kevins C4C shows ..

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1880 on: June 10, 2011, 12:48:22 PM »
Wow, that is similar!  Do you know if that was a one-off piece, or a XXX edition signed print thingy?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1881 on: June 10, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »
Am I missing something?  How come that horrible poster of They Live sold out so quickly?  And 500 of them?

wow1
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1882 on: June 10, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »
If my info is correct it wsa an original stencil/mixed media piece that sold to Kevin Smith for $2300

guest8

« Reply #1883 on: June 10, 2011, 01:00:28 PM »
Am I missing something?  How come that horrible poster of They Live sold out so quickly?  And 500 of them?

wow1

Well they were for sale last night at the show too .. So Id guess not that many were available today in the online store .. that and its OBEY who has tons of fanboys too ..

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1884 on: June 10, 2011, 04:12:51 PM »
Not surprising... a couple dozen on eBay already.  But I was surprised to see a bunch priced/sold at about $150-$250.  Has Mondo jumped the shark? 

I just got this one because I love the movie and there is a dearth of decent paper on the title.  Luckily, I also picked up a rolled quad recently as well (thanks Adam!).   

I love the premise and several scenes, but thought that Carpenter blew the overall execution of the film.  It would be high on my list for a remake.  I liked the original one sheet, but I haven't been looking around for the title.

As for this piece, I think that the image is entirely appropriate for a one-off artwork, but as a poster for the film, it crap ( had to get my poop reference in for Mel) for the exact reason that wonka listed.

It would have been better if he was holding an obey style picture of Roddy Piper.

And now, I asked myself, am I all out of bubblegum?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1885 on: June 10, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
If my info is correct it wsa an original stencil/mixed media piece that sold to Kevin Smith for $2300

I bet KS is pissed!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1886 on: June 10, 2011, 04:58:30 PM »
I love the premise and several scenes, but thought that Carpenter blew the overall execution of the film.

That's a tough call... yes, the film execution is a bit amateur-ish and the script/acting is down-right hokey in places.  You can tell it didn't have much of a budget.  It kind of feels like a made-for-TV movie.  Then again, at least for me, it has loads of charm for all those same reasons.  And, the premise is down right fantastic and holds up perfectly when viewed today. 

Its kind of sad though... I'm a huge Carpenter fan and They Live was probably his last throws genius.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1887 on: June 10, 2011, 07:02:58 PM »

The Piper-David street brawl was my favorite moment. pcorn

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1888 on: June 10, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
I like South Park's homage as well!  Probably the longest man-on-man, non-ring fight in movie history  ;D

http://www.prefixmag.com/forum/prefix-forum/3107/

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1889 on: June 10, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »
I'm a huge Carpenter fan and They Live was probably his last throws genius.

Really?  I'd stop at Starman.  Carpenter, along with Landis, Dante and a few others, had an amazing creative spur for 6-7 years, and it fizzled away as quickly as it came.  But while it lasted, what a run.

T
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:25:35 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1890 on: June 10, 2011, 09:15:21 PM »
Take that back T... Big Trouble in Little China is pure cinema gold!   ;D

Its basically a Tarantino movie (meta-homage-ripoff-movie) before there was such a thing. I would say he peaked there, and then Prince of Darkness and They Live were cool, but weak in execution. 

Then again, I grew up watching all those movies as a kid so its hard to be critical with that history...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1891 on: June 10, 2011, 09:29:53 PM »
Yeah, forgot about BTILC.  Probably because it's the only Stout I don't own and it's pissing me off.  I'm trying to forget the movie even exists.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1892 on: June 11, 2011, 02:39:05 AM »
I like South Park's homage as well!  Probably the longest man-on-man, non-ring fight in movie history  ;D

http://www.prefixmag.com/forum/prefix-forum/3107/

That was great, Matt.
Laughed my arse clean off.

longdog

« Reply #1893 on: June 11, 2011, 05:09:02 AM »
Great to see a mention of Starman here which always seems to get forgotten about when Carpenter is referred to in press articles... speaking of which, for those of you that are interested here is a link to an recent interview with the man himself;

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49982

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #1894 on: June 11, 2011, 11:24:16 AM »
there is a dearth of decent paper on the title.  Luckily, I also picked up a rolled quad recently as well (thanks Adam!).    

i agree there is not very much good paper on they live it is a shame.

you just picked up a rolled quad! thats the best paper for the film nice score.

That's a tough call... yes, the film execution is a bit amateur-ish and the script/acting is down-right hokey in places.  You can tell it didn't have much of a budget.  It kind of feels like a made-for-TV movie.  Then again, at least for me, it has loads of charm for all those same reasons.  And, the premise is down right fantastic and holds up perfectly when viewed today.  

Its kind of sad though... I'm a huge Carpenter fan and They Live was probably his last throws genius.

I'm a big fan also, it is kind of sad.

if he would of made the whole film in a slightly more serious manner, had kurt russell as nada, polish up the script a bit, and fixed the damn music (weakest carpenter score) the movie would be considered one of the better science fiction films of the 80's

it has its weak points but it is a fun watch and entertaining.

"the premise is down right fantastic and holds up perfectly when viewed today" <- exactly

south parks homage is awesome and almost had me in tears the first time i saw it, that whole episode is hilarious jimmy's stand up impressions are a riot.

Im not 100% sure but Im guessing it was a part of one of Kevins C4C shows ..

kevin smith would own that, he hangs it next to his rack of bowling shirts (that he actually pays someone to embroider his name on).

I love the premise and several scenes, but thought that Carpenter blew the overall execution of the film.  It would be high on my list for a remake.  I liked the original one sheet, but I haven't been looking around for the title.

As for this piece, I think that the image is entirely appropriate for a one-off artwork, but as a poster for the film, it crap ( had to get my poop reference in for Mel) for the exact reason that wonka listed.

It would have been better if he was holding an obey style picture of Roddy Piper.

And now, I asked myself, am I all out of bubblegum?
i actually agree with a lot that your saying accept the fact that i love the film for what it is.

the roddy piper card idea is a good one and would of made the poster more like-able to me

as for a remake hmmmmmm......
who would you put behind the lens, and in front of it?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:27:17 AM by Ogami_Itto »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1895 on: June 11, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »
I don't know how to embed this video here, but I picked this up off of one of the blogs.  Pretty funny.  I hate movie theater texters, and this one in particular should be shot.  I can just picture sitting next to her and trying to control the urge to mayhem.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:37:58 AM by holiday »
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1896 on: June 11, 2011, 05:26:44 PM »
i agree there is not very much good paper on they live it is a shame.

you just picked up a rolled quad! thats the best paper for the film nice score.

I'm a big fan also, it is kind of sad.

if he would of made the whole film in a slightly more serious manner, had kurt russell as nada, polish up the script a bit, and fixed the damn music (weakest carpenter score) the movie would be considered one of the better science fiction films of the 80's

it has its weak points but it is a fun watch and entertaining.

"the premise is down right fantastic and holds up perfectly when viewed today" <- exactly

south parks homage is awesome and almost had me in tears the first time i saw it, that whole episode is hilarious jimmy's stand up impressions are a riot.

kevin smith would own that, he hangs it next to his rack of bowling shirts (that he actually pays someone to embroider his name on).
i actually agree with a lot that your saying accept the fact that i love the film for what it is.

the roddy piper card idea is a good one and would of made the poster more like-able to me

as for a remake hmmmmmm......
who would you put behind the lens, and in front of it?

For a more serious tone, I think that Fincher would nail it.  Then again, he would be my go to guy for just about anything right now.  I just wish that he wasn't wasting his time with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which he will improve on, I'm sure, but not enough to matter.  A Trent Reznor score would be an added bonus.

You can go a lot of ways with the lead - you can 'everyman' it with an average stature/high quality actor or you can action star it.  I'm not really up on the big muscle guys enough to know who would work.

guest8

« Reply #1897 on: June 12, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »
Had totally planned on working around the house all weekend but we were without power all day yesterday and so I decided to should just take today off from all of my regular responsibilities .. So I decided to work on ADP and I created a blog !! Ive only made one post today .. But we will see how it goes.. Check it out ! :)
http://alamodrafthouseposters.wordpress.com

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1898 on: June 12, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
I don't know how to embed this video here, but I picked this up off of one of the blogs.  Pretty funny.  I hate movie theater texters, and this one in particular should be shot.  I can just picture sitting next to her and trying to control the urge to mayhem.

That's hilarious, H.  Living in DC, I have to endure mass transportation several days a week and sit next to "celltards" prattle on about banal BS in very loud voices.  I think it's a generational thing too.  Generation Y should be called the "overshare" generation.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1899 on: June 15, 2011, 08:47:57 PM »
I was browsing fallens handy work on his alamo poster site, and then came here to check the complete lists.

I'm pretty sure the two sets of Rocky Horror posters were over two years, with Riff Raff/Magenta coming first, and the Frank/Columbia coming the year after.
Ves