Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538726 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1800 on: May 07, 2011, 03:25:13 AM »
This is actually hilarious.  Out of 380 prints, there's been at least 50 for sale on Ebay, and tons are just sitting there.  Some of those rats are only making $10-$20 a pop.  Not a good time for flippers.  Here's to hoping a lot of them can't sell at all.

:)

T

That doesn't surprise me at all. I think this THOR print is one of the most uninspired Mondos yet.

guest8

« Reply #1801 on: May 11, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »
Ok .. this is getting to be too much .. This is proof that Mondo can produce anything and it will sell out :(

http://www.mondotees.com/Sledgehammer-VHS_p_281.html

Its been said on EB by others and I just want to agree .. That mondo has started doing TOO MUCH .. They are selling prints that dont get shipped out for 6-8weeks at a time .. and there are TONS!! of complaints of MULTIPLE damaged Pan prints and now the KB's are coming in damaged .. and it seems that the damage is pre-shipping ... They just have too much going on and they are rushing to have new releases every week all while they are trying to catch up on shipping from the past 3-4 releases .. Mondo is big enough now that they should not sell prints that they do not have on hand .. I can understand a small shop doing the sale then sending the orders off to the printers but Mondo is far beyond not having enough capital to do the prints before hand.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1802 on: May 11, 2011, 03:05:50 PM »
Unfortunately, Dave, as long as they sell out, they won't get it.  It's not about quality at this point, it's about quantity and $$$, which is extremely unfortunate.  If you compare their output with what they put out in 2008 and 2008, the quality has gone down.  Sure, there will always be a few nice pieces to contradict the naysayers, yours truly included, but as a general rule, you cannot put the same attention to detail when you have so many eggs in one basket.  We've seen it happen time and time again, a company believes its own propaganda and sinks with it.  Hopefully, it won't happen to Mondo, but it's a dangerous slope.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1803 on: May 11, 2011, 03:40:15 PM »
Unfortunately, Dave, as long as they sell out, they won't get it.  It's not about quality at this point, it's about quantity and $$$, which is extremely unfortunate.  If you compare their output with what they put out in 2008 and 2008, the quality has gone down.  Sure, there will always be a few nice pieces to contradict the naysayers, yours truly included, but as a general rule, you cannot put the same attention to detail when you have so many eggs in one basket.  We've seen it happen time and time again, a company believes its own propaganda and sinks with it.  Hopefully, it won't happen to Mondo, but it's a dangerous slope.

T

spot on.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1804 on: May 11, 2011, 08:43:13 PM »
Glad I'm off the crazy train.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

guest8

« Reply #1805 on: May 11, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »
Glad I'm off the crazy train.

Their antics has caused me to stop buying as much as I used to .. So even though they dont realize it they are losing business .. and when enough flippers get burnt and stop buying Mondo will start to feel it .. Theyve already started increasing prices as well as print runs ...Soon enough the scales will tip.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1806 on: May 11, 2011, 11:05:14 PM »
Actually, Dave, I disagree with you on price.  I think this is one area where they've been pretty consistent.  They are still selling prints for $35-$40, like they used to 2 or 3 years ago.  And if they do sell a Stout or a Moss for more, you can't really blame them for it.   It's called good business.  My beef is more with quality and quantity.  Charge what you think is right, but give me something that matters.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1807 on: May 12, 2011, 08:03:40 AM »
I disagree with you disagreeing :P .. there has always been a price range .. and Variants may have gotten up to the $40-50 range in the past .. But just scan though the ADP screening section for '09 youll see lower print runs and cheaper prices...

regular Metropolis by ansin for $30 and an ed. of 99
green Royal Tenenbaums by Danger for $25 ed of 250
Carrie by Methane Studios for $30 ed of 120
regular Goonies by Drew Millward for $25 ed of 215
regular Phantom of the Opera by Ansin $30 ed of 75
special release gremlins by Rhys $40 ed of 100
NoES by Methane Studios $25 ed of 150
halloween by Methane Studios $25 ed of 150

**(Example to compare to last week)**
special release Alien II by Taylor for $40 ed of 85
Clash of the Titans by taylor for $30 ed of 110

***THOR by Taylor for $45 ed of 380***

Now is this good or bad ? Im not to say .. its business and every business wants to make money. The demand is there but Im tired of all the noobs saying increase the print run and/or prices to deter the flippers and then the die hard loyalist swooping in saying this is a collectors market and Mondo would never hurt the collectors like that .. that by doing so they would be killing their own market .. Which I guess is amazing because mondo is actually doing that and for some reason people dont even seem to realize it .. Even long time collectors like T. ;)

guest8

« Reply #1808 on: May 12, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
It just dawned on me .. Maybe stuff like this is why the mondo crew doesnt like my site :P

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1809 on: May 12, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »
It just dawned on me .. Maybe stuff like this is why the mondo crew doesnt like my site :P

If it can be of any consolation, they don't like me either.

BTW, this is exactly what I mean: Mondo sold two subpar prints this morning, and again sold them within seconds.  In fact, they were so subpar that no one on this forum talked about them.  I'm sure EB was all over it (I haven't checked), but no one here.  Which is how it should be.  Why should we want to talk about it?  But they still sold them out, and the rats already put them up on Ebay.  So as far as Mondo is concerned, they're... winning and we are all trolls.  Which goes to prove that there is no incentive for them to get better.  Why change a winning equation?  They make money, the trolls are happy, the rats are eating.

Alas, only time will tell.

T
My Personal Collection

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #1810 on: May 12, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »
these prints took 10 minutes to sell out, for mondo time thats like a couple years.

i loved i saw the devil, and i liked the print (didnt love it). ive never seen gwangi and the poster was.... eh

I looked over at eb and they were not "all over it". a lot of people had never seen the flick so they weren't interested. i think it has a lot to do with the popularity of the film over the artwork. they could have the worst pulp fiction poster in history and it will sell out in under a minute, id bet money.

i agree with most of the comments about mondo but i thought i should at least put my 2 cents about todays drop.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1811 on: May 12, 2011, 02:03:01 PM »
I passed on both, I played around with the cart a little just to see how well the site was flowing, but I thought the movie selection, frankly, sucked.

guest8

« Reply #1812 on: May 12, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »
Yeah I think excitement was down across the board on these prints .. Not very well known titles and kind of uninspired artwork (IMHO .. and I havent seen either film so maybe Im wrong here)

But has anyone seen the flipped VHS tapes ?!?!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sledgehammer-VHS-Mondo-Posters-Video-Severin-Films-/290564785808?pt=VHS&hash=item43a702c690

it was mentioned on EB that Mondo made it known that these were limited edition in hopes of there being a secondary market .. Well there is apparently .. So every VHS drop is soon to be just as bad as poster from the vultures trying to swoop in and make $100 !! :-o

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #1813 on: May 12, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
Yeah I think excitement was down across the board on these prints .. Not very well known titles and kind of uninspired artwork (IMHO .. and I havent seen either film so maybe Im wrong here)

But has anyone seen the flipped VHS tapes ?!?!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sledgehammer-VHS-Mondo-Posters-Video-Severin-Films-/290564785808?pt=VHS&hash=item43a702c690

it was mentioned on EB that Mondo made it known that these were limited edition in hopes of there being a secondary market .. Well there is apparently .. So every VHS drop is soon to be just as bad as poster from the vultures trying to swoop in and make $100 !! :-o

There's one born every minute.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1814 on: May 12, 2011, 04:51:50 PM »

I looked over at eb and they were not "all over it". a lot of people had never seen the flick so they weren't interested.

I'm surprised.  Don't they usually love EVERYTHING Mondo puts out and go on and on about the greatness of every single print?

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1815 on: May 12, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »
I Saw the Devil is an interesting film, but wasn't feeling that print at all.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1816 on: May 18, 2011, 10:37:16 PM »
Gotta say that Mondo's upcoming release is pretty cool.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1817 on: May 18, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »
Another stellar choice, I'm sure all of about 4 people have seen that film  eyeroll

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1818 on: May 18, 2011, 11:47:58 PM »
Maybe even fewer than that, Dale.
The teaser is somewhat intriguing.  Check it out... http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2773654041/

guest8

« Reply #1819 on: May 19, 2011, 12:50:22 PM »
Im still confused on this boonmee poster .. Ive only had time to skim the threads over the past couple of days .. But what little Ive picked up Im lead to believe that boonmee is an actual theater movie poster and they are just selling it .. Im lead to believe that they didnt commission the piece .. and that if I saw correctly that posterati even has this poster for sale on ebay ..

If all that is true this is a sad day ..

guest8

guest8

« Reply #1821 on: May 19, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
Ok .. I guess Mondos is just a screen print copy of the official movie poster ... I think thats a little weak .. :-/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1822 on: May 19, 2011, 03:42:23 PM »
Not interested in anything Mondo tomorrow, but I did buy - SHOCKER! - my first Rich Kelly print ever.  I don't know, there was something really appealing to me in his Wild at Heart print.

T

My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1823 on: May 19, 2011, 03:46:14 PM »
Another stellar choice, I'm sure all of about 4 people have seen that film  eyeroll

I haven't seen it, but The Ballad of Narayama, another Shohei Imamura flick that won the Palme D'Or in 1983, is one of my all time favorites.  So I'm sure Uncle Boonmee is awesome.

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #1824 on: May 19, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »
LOL .. T .. Did you get that Kelly on the 'bay for like $55 ?? A seller just listed his own auction of that poster in he EB "failip" thread :P