Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539251 times)

guest8

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1750 on: April 22, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »
Yes it does suck .. My only consolation at this point is that Horkeys dont usually flip for super high prices .. So Im hoping the costs will settle down enough that I wont mind paying a little extra to pick one up .. But on the other hand you have SOOO many people that EXPECT mondo prints to be going for thousands of dollars theres the chance that this expectation may actually increase the market value of prints that may have at some point fell close to original cost .. Mondo has just gotten too big .. :(

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1751 on: April 22, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »
maybe the forum s should get the 1st alert  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1752 on: April 22, 2011, 04:08:07 PM »
Lots of EB'ers flipping them at cost .. That restores some faith in the goodness of some fellow collectors ! :)

Then at the other end of the spectrum, are people like this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pans-Labyrinth-mondo-Horkey-poster-BLUE-edition-rare-/280664441999?pt=Art_Prints&hash=item4158e7848f

The regular edition poster, with a BIN of 420.00   :o :o  and 22.00 to ship (once it arrives from Mondo, of course)  :P

I just looked at the completed listings for ones sold. None of the regular edition went for anywhere near the original 75.00 'at cost' price..  amazing, to be sure.. buyers have paid between $175-400.00

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #1753 on: April 22, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »
maybe the forum s should get the 1st alert  ;D

LOL .. If only we could sell them on that idea Id be all for it .. But .. devils advocate .. We would just see an influx of guests/new members for just that sole do .. purpose .. damned if you .. damned if you dont ..

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1754 on: April 22, 2011, 05:14:40 PM »
But the faun was a central and persistent element. Every single scene has something in the shape of faun horns in it - listen to the commentary, it's very revealing.

With rare exception (Spinal Tap - done in character), commentary tracks should be avoided like the plague.  It's fine if they are simply talking about the process, but, usually, it's more of the 'what I was saying here was' type of thing, which is a shortcut to actual analysis.  I don't need the film maker to tell me what something means - it should be evident from watching the film.  If it isn't, then they failed to successfully tell their tale.

As for Pan's, it's not that the faun was terrible, it's that all of the other elements were far more interesting...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1755 on: April 22, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
It's ridiculous.  I'm over it, and I don't see myself buying any more of these.  What a relief not to be sitting there pressing the refresh button like a rat hooked on a cocaine water bottle.  The prices are going up, and people are still buying them, yet there's great posters that sell for nothing with Bruce, Rich and on many of the dealer sites.  And then the flippers, and the fact that Mondo does NOTHING to weed them out. 

The whole fucking thing is offensive.

Then at the other end of the spectrum, are people like this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pans-Labyrinth-mondo-Horkey-poster-BLUE-edition-rare-/280664441999?pt=Art_Prints&hash=item4158e7848f

The regular edition poster, with a BIN of 420.00   :o :o  and 22.00 to ship (once it arrives from Mondo, of course)  :P

I just looked at the completed listings for ones sold. None of the regular edition went for anywhere near the original 75.00 'at cost' price..  amazing, to be sure.. buyers have paid between $175-400.00
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1756 on: April 22, 2011, 09:54:26 PM »
I agree with you, but what can Mondo do to "weed them out?"

Sure, you can try to get their IDs and forbid them from buying again, but what would stop them to create a new alias with a new credit card?  Use a friend's name and address?  Plus, if you get rid of some, more will grow, like cancer cells.

I really don't know how you can stop the scavengers.  They're the lowest form of profiteers.  Everything for a buck.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1757 on: April 22, 2011, 10:02:47 PM »
By the way, 45 regular prints are either sold or for sale on Ebay right now.  That's more than 10% of the total.

I wonder how many more will try to sell theirs once they receive them.  I know I wouldn't dare selling something I don't have in hand.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1758 on: April 22, 2011, 11:53:43 PM »
I know, I'm just venting a bit.  I don't know what could be done, but maybe there's a better mind than mine out there that could come up with something.  I mean, WTF, 45 flippers at once?  Something's gotta give.  Another fear I have for those who continue to buy is that the bottom falls out of this thing when enough former buyers like me get fed up and give up altogether.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

longdog

« Reply #1759 on: April 23, 2011, 02:32:55 AM »
I agree with you, but what can Mondo do to "weed them out?"

Sure, you can try to get their IDs and forbid them from buying again, but what would stop them to create a new alias with a new credit card?  Use a friend's name and address?  Plus, if you get rid of some, more will grow, like cancer cells.

I really don't know how you can stop the scavengers.  They're the lowest form of profiteers.  Everything for a buck.

T

Mondo simply have to up the print runs to more sensible numbers that meet demand. Yes the 'exclusivity' angle will be lost but the majority of us here who have bought them in the past (and try to now) have done so because we like them primarily for the image.

A print run of a 1000 (even more for a Stout) might actually take longer to sell because more are out there but if the artwork is great they will find their market and to those people that actually want them, hopefully this would take the heat out of the current flippers.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1760 on: April 23, 2011, 03:00:37 AM »
stop the alerts.

guest8

« Reply #1761 on: April 23, 2011, 07:02:23 AM »
But Mondo needs the exclusivity to seem like a big player and get all of the attention that it does .. If the posters didnt sell out in 30 seconds and have people selling them for thousands of dollars on eBay literally minutes after the mondo sale then the blogs, interviews and specials notice that is taken would disappear as would all the major legit deals they have now .. Universal, Disney and ... theres more its just too early to remember them .. :P

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1762 on: April 23, 2011, 07:14:09 AM »
while i understand your point, these dont sell out in 30 seconds because people like them. mondo might as well stop selling, and put them up for auction, this way you get the true value of the poster, and the flippers will go running for the hills..
do people think that people went mad over the mystery movie because they wantd to know the film? hell no they wanted the poster that come with it. and why....

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1763 on: April 23, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »
With rare exception (Spinal Tap - done in character), commentary tracks should be avoided like the plague.  It's fine if they are simply talking about the process, but, usually, it's more of the 'what I was saying here was' type of thing, which is a shortcut to actual analysis.  I don't need the film maker to tell me what something means - it should be evident from watching the film.  If it isn't, then they failed to successfully tell their tale.

As for Pan's, it's not that the faun was terrible, it's that all of the other elements were far more interesting...

I've never heard a commentary that WAS "this is what I was saying here". I've also never met or heard of a film fan that recommends avoiding commentary like a plague. In fact, I'm under the impression that film fans love commentary, which is why Edgar Wright's Blu-Rays have FOUR commentary tracks. If not for supplements, why the hell are you buying Blu-Rays?

I've also never met a film fan who thought the faun was the least interesting part of Pan's Labyrinth. I'm beginning to think you're a dedicated contrarian  who focuses on things to hate strictly to be the opposite of common opinion. Are you Archie Leach or Armond White?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1764 on: April 23, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
I rarely (pretty much never) listen to commentaries, I can only recall 3, The Wicker man, the worm eaters, and 2010 After the fall of new york (recalled AC version),  the latter two because my friends did them.
I also rarely watch extras on DVDs, I prefer DVDs over video, because I get a better picture, hopefully OAR and uncut.
I love films, have less interest in them being talked about, except with friends (or enemies), where there can be dialogue both ways. Same as I don't read reviews until after I have seen the movie.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1765 on: April 23, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »
Mondo simply have to up the print runs to more sensible numbers that meet demand. Yes the 'exclusivity' angle will be lost but the majority of us here who have bought them in the past (and try to now) have done so because we like them primarily for the image.

I disagree.  90% of the interest comes from the fact that those prints are limited.  Remove it from the equation and Mondo dies.  Pure and simple.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1766 on: April 23, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »
I've never heard a commentary that WAS "this is what I was saying here". I've also never met or heard of a film fan that recommends avoiding commentary like a plague. In fact, I'm under the impression that film fans love commentary, which is why Edgar Wright's Blu-Rays have FOUR commentary tracks. If not for supplements, why the hell are you buying Blu-Rays?

I've also never met a film fan who thought the faun was the least interesting part of Pan's Labyrinth. I'm beginning to think you're a dedicated contrarian  who focuses on things to hate strictly to be the opposite of common opinion. Are you Archie Leach or Armond White?

Your talking about film geeks, not film fans.  Ebert has the right idea about film geeks (pretty much Shatner's SNL speech to star trek fans - look 'em up).

For me, it's easy.  I see most films where they should be seen, in a theater.  I own maybe 20 DVD's (Blu-Ray? What a Blu-Ray?) and most of those were gifts.  I can't remember the last time I rented one. 

Your Faun example is very much along the lines of what I was talking about.  I don't wait for others to tell me if or why I should like a film, be it from critics or film makers.  I do the analysis and come to my own conclusions.  That way, I avoid the groupthink that pervades a place like AICN.  Really honestly.   

The Coen Brothers have the right idea and refuse to do commentary tracks (real tracks anyway), instead they let the film speak for itself.  Otherwise, it's all dancing about architecture.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1767 on: April 23, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »
Your Faun example is very much along the lines of what I was talking about.  I don't wait for others to tell me if or why I should like a film, be it from critics or film makers.  I do the analysis and come to my own conclusions.  That way, I avoid the groupthink that pervades a place like AICN.  Really honestly.  

I come to my own conclusions as well. I don't even own Pan's Labyrinth, I was using the commentary as evidence of my statement which I otherwise did not have the means to prove. The point I was making is that the faun was a central element of the movie and the make-up that brought it to life is something you very rarely see in movies today. With that in mind, it is a valid focus of a commemorative piece of artwork. You can argue a tribute to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe shouldn't feature Aslan because he's a boring, one-dimensional supporting character. But he's still a big and iconic piece of the story.

I only buy Blu-Rays for movies I loved. Most of my Blu-Rays are for animated films because I love learning about the making of. I don't buy a Blu-Ray to be told what the movie is about when I watch the bonus features, and I standby the fact that I've never seen or heard of a supplement that does that. And I consider myself a fan, not a geek.

I also like movies that others hate, and hate movies that others like. Your groupthink speech is not well suited towards somebody who doesn't like 2001 or A Clockwork Orange.

Edit: Animation geek, yes. Film geek, not so much.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1768 on: April 23, 2011, 08:14:22 PM »
I enjoy the commentaries provided on DVDs.  Quite often, it is the little side stories that occurred during the making of the film that are the most entertaining.
I personally don't like the esoteric ramblings of self-absorbed auteurs....

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1769 on: April 24, 2011, 12:48:31 AM »
If not for supplements, why the hell are you buying Blu-Rays?

1080p
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1771 on: April 27, 2011, 07:22:37 AM »
how much does the big trouble in little china go for these days?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1772 on: April 27, 2011, 09:51:20 AM »
BTILC went from being a 200 print the beginning of 2010 to a 900 - 1200 print after Stouts explosion the past 12 months.

guest8

« Reply #1773 on: April 27, 2011, 02:35:34 PM »
BTILC went from being a 200 print the beginning of 2010 to a 900 - 1200 print after Stouts explosion the past 12 months.

huh?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1774 on: April 27, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »
Which is why I'm not buying my only missing Stout!!!

My Personal Collection