Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539295 times)

guest8

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1725 on: April 19, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »
Sneak peak

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1726 on: April 19, 2011, 05:35:48 PM »
Interested in seeing the entire piece.

The printing process here looks like his Dracula one, and neither jump out as much as his Dead Man print...that one is ridiculous in terms of its detail and printed vibrancy.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1727 on: April 19, 2011, 05:37:23 PM »
Where is the girl?  I wanna see the girl!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1728 on: April 19, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »

The printing process here looks like his Dracula one, and neither jump out as much as his Dead Man print...that one is ridiculous in terms of its detail and printed vibrancy.

I was disappointed with Dracula and sold mine .. Horkey only did the lettering on that one and the image looked like a "photocopy" to me .. Since he did the whole deal on this one I expect the detail to be insane and I really cant wait ..

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1729 on: April 20, 2011, 12:19:02 AM »

The Dead Man was a giclee print which allows for a much higher resolution.  Although I like Horkey, I get a feeling that, on occasion, he overboards on the detail at the expense of the overall image.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1730 on: April 20, 2011, 01:26:14 AM »
The Dead Man was a giclee print

giclee/letter press combo.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1731 on: April 20, 2011, 09:08:57 AM »
giclee/letter press combo.

Yep, which for some reason I omitted in my post above.

I think Horkey's work translates to the optimal and truest quality with the giclee/press combo, I think these simple screens water his work down a bit.

Wouldn't mind seeing Mondo try their hand at the giclees again...just every so often.  They are very striking when handled properly.

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1732 on: April 20, 2011, 10:17:09 AM »
Re: the drop and screening last night for Pan's.  Apparently Mondo/Alamo allowed ticket refunds (have since said this won't happen again, so who knows), so folks could have that golden ticket to be able to purchase a poster, cash the ticket back in, and be home working up their ebay auction all before the lights went down back at the theater.

And there is this from an EB member who was there:

I was among the first 10 in line and I'm telling you right now the whole event was handled poorly. One they weren't checking tickets and the chick from MONDO just out of nowhere quietly starting selling to any individual who walked up to her. She didn't announce anything. Once the people in the back of the line saw that, the line turned into a crowd around the table. Second people were cutting and still able to get a print. I heard some disgruntled discussions and no one attempted to bring order to the place. Despite the line of people in front of her, a few holding poster tubes, who have been there for at least 2 hours she totally blew them off selling to people that just walked in. I just read about the movie tickets getting refunded and that is messed up.

I was mistaken,

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1733 on: April 20, 2011, 10:26:24 AM »
Re: the drop and screening last night for Pan's.  Apparently Mondo/Alamo allowed ticket refunds, so folks could have that golden ticket to be able to purchase a poster, cash the ticket back in, and be home working up their ebay auction all before the lights went down back at the theater.

I was among the first 10 in line and I'm telling you right now the whole event was handled poorly. One they weren't checking tickets and the chick from MONDO just out of nowhere quietly starting selling to any individual who walked up to her. She didn't announce anything. Once the people in the back of the line saw that, the line turned into a crowd around the table. Second people were cutting and still able to get a print. I heard some disgruntled discussions and no one attempted to bring order to the place. Despite the line of people in front of her, a few holding poster tubes, who have been there for at least 2 hours she totally blew them off selling to people that just walked in. I just read about the movie tickets getting refunded and that is messed up.

Let's hear what Jess has to say about that.

JessicaLee

« Reply #1734 on: April 20, 2011, 05:47:20 PM »
Re: the drop and screening last night for Pan's.  Apparently Mondo/Alamo allowed ticket refunds (have since said this won't happen again, so who knows), so folks could have that golden ticket to be able to purchase a poster, cash the ticket back in, and be home working up their ebay auction all before the lights went down back at the theater.

I was the 'chick from Mondo who came out of nowhere quietly selling posters'.

Yes, it could have been handled better, but it wasn't nearly as chaotic as described. I'll admit that I was caught a little off guard.  The only other screening I've worked outside of the AKRIA show was a few months ago, and the local demand was a fraction of what it was last night. I admittedly should have seen it coming, but I underestimated the demand on this one. My apologies and we're already working on tighten the process for future events. That said...There was a line. And people were orderly about coming up to the table. And, I checked everyone's ticket.  Next time I'll know to bring a bull horn and a taser to keep everyone in check.  :)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1735 on: April 20, 2011, 10:01:01 PM »
I was the 'chick from Mondo who came out of nowhere quietly selling posters'.

Ninja?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1736 on: April 20, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »
Hell do it like best buy and walmart, get in line the night before, that enables you a chance at a ticket to the lottery, then after camping out for 18 hours, you might actually get picked to be able to purchase one.

Or, just charge 150.00 a seat to the show and everyone that buys a ticket gets a poster for free and they can leave as soon as they get the poster, then roll some previews and the people that actually want to see the film that is showing instead of just going to get a print to resell, can see the movie for free.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1737 on: April 21, 2011, 12:03:01 PM »
Sorry, but It think this new one looks more like the Alien work done by Godmachine rather than Pan.  Horkey got Dead Man perfectly.  It's been all down hill from there as far as his movie prints go.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1738 on: April 21, 2011, 02:24:30 PM »
Gotta love that insane detail, though.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1739 on: April 21, 2011, 10:53:16 PM »
I am still debating this one...

Not my favorite Horkey, but a little cool nonetheless.  I think I'm going to go for it, but if I don't get it, I won't cry over it.  It's one of those pieces I'd like to get for my collection, but don't care so much about.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1740 on: April 21, 2011, 11:59:45 PM »
Would have liked to have seen some or all of the focus be on Ofelia, and I feel the bottom have of the piece seems a bit vanilla in a sense...a bit unfinished.

Nice colors though, and the profile of the faun and Horkey's style is a great fit/combination.

I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1741 on: April 22, 2011, 06:35:30 AM »
It's fine for what it is, but, to me, the faun was the least interesting part of the film. 

I say this as someone who loves the film and considers it to be one of the top 10 films of the 00's (City of God, Eternal Sunshine, No Country for Old Farts, Ass of Jesse James, Up, Inglourious Basterds...)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1742 on: April 22, 2011, 10:29:31 AM »
It's fine for what it is, but, to me, the faun was the least interesting part of the film. 

I say this as someone who loves the film and considers it to be one of the top 10 films of the 00's (City of God, Eternal Sunshine, No Country for Old Farts, Ass of Jesse James, Up, Inglourious Basterds...)

But the faun was a central and persistent element. Every single scene has something in the shape of faun horns in it - listen to the commentary, it's very revealing.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1743 on: April 22, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
Okay, so I bought the regular version.

I think it looks better than the variant (IMO)

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #1744 on: April 22, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »
i couldnt even add the reg to my cart .. I kept getting Mondo page errors :(

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1745 on: April 22, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »
Half of them are on Ebay right now.

These people are so pathetic.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1746 on: April 22, 2011, 11:58:42 AM »
In on regular as well although the $75 made my wallet screech a little, I am over variants. They tend to monotone the colors and charge for for a smaller number written in pencil on the bottom. Done.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1747 on: April 22, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »
In this instance, I think the reg should have been the brown one, and the variant the blue one.

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #1748 on: April 22, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »
Lots of EB'ers flipping them at cost .. That restores some faith in the goodness of some fellow collectors ! :)

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1749 on: April 22, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »
iv counted 27 on ebay now.. really is getting silly.
i actually feel for the peeps who like and collect these.