Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539134 times)

guest8

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1650 on: April 08, 2011, 12:13:18 PM »
Not to mention these Disney prints are supposedly going to have variants at some point as well .. So true fans may hold out and wait to see what sideshow has to offer instead of paying flipper prices ..

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1651 on: April 08, 2011, 12:15:19 PM »
true fans may hold out and wait to see what sideshow has to offer instead of paying flipper prices ..

What does that mean, and what does being 'true' have to do with any sort of subsequent variant?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1652 on: April 08, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »
With each drop, the reactions here are more of the same, from the same.

and..

guest8

« Reply #1653 on: April 08, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »
David, I don't think there is an exact and defining science behind those who flip, when they flip, why they flip, percents of the drop flipped, etc.

With SW taking Mondo to the next level, the cat is out of the bag, and anyone and everyone who can get their paws on these to sell for a quick buck, will.  Just like any other limited collectible.

When dealing with people its never exact science on the hows and whys .. but we can see patterns .. and typically right after a major drop theres always more people trying to flip .. Its just an observation not a rule .. as for the % i tossed out .. Theres 15 on ebay now .. and 5 sold already .. That sounds really close to 20% to me .. Like i siad its not a science its just my observations ..  

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1654 on: April 08, 2011, 12:17:42 PM »
When dealing with people its never exact science on the hows and whys .. but we can see patterns .. and typically right after a major drop theres always more people trying to flip .. Its just an observation not a rule .. as for the % i tossed out .. Theres 15 on ebay now .. and 5 sold already .. That sounds really close to 20% to me .. Like i siad its not a science its just my observations ..  

So the bottom line is that the vast majority of these go to collectors to like them or just folks who want it on their wall, which is good.

Ultimately, who cares?

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #1655 on: April 08, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
What does that mean, and what does being 'true' have to do with any sort of subsequent variant?

LOL .. you trying to pick a fight with me ?? :P A true fan .. someone whos dedicated to the hobby .. Once again just an opinion .. Those of us who are dedicated to the hobby know about the 2nd releases that are supposed to come from sideshow and may choose to hold off to see what the variants may be and possibly get a better print from the source instead of paying flip prices and just find a better one released later on down the road for less than what we paid the flippers for the non-var...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1656 on: April 08, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
What about a 'true' Roger Rabbit fan? Or a 'true' Disney fan? Or a 'true' Mondo fan?

It is endless and debatable.

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #1657 on: April 08, 2011, 12:36:39 PM »
I just said "true fan" it could be any of those that you listed .. And when I said the hobby of course I was referring to prints .. but it could extend to facets of collecting .. We are all just people with thoughts and opinions .. Ive never said my words were gospel and all should listen and send me money while your at it ;)

This is a forum .. and we talk .. much of it is meaningless BS .. Using your words .. Ultimately, who cares? You seem to ..

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1658 on: April 08, 2011, 12:50:40 PM »
Want to kill flips.

Try this a couple times:
Onsale  Thursday at noon, pulled from the site Friday at noon.

Print run = number sold * 10%

Everybody is happy.

guest8

« Reply #1659 on: April 08, 2011, 12:55:16 PM »
Want to kill flips.

Try this a couple times:

Everybody is happy.

Yes that would work .. But how many people do you think would NOT buy because the resale values would be non-existent :P

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1660 on: April 08, 2011, 01:04:18 PM »
2 minutes to sell that WFRR?  I am impressed.  What fascinates me most here, no pun intended, is how different people's tastes can be.  Each time I feel Mondo has a clunker, they prove me wrong.  More power to them, I say.

T

I know what you're saying. When Steamboat Willie was revealed my brain immediately framed it and began finding places to hang it all over my living space. I loved, and still love it, and have been checking eBay weekly for something I can afford. But the general forum reaction to that print was generally underwhelming. People were entirely unmoved while I was cracking my knuckles twelve hours in advance in hopes of getting one on the drop.

Personally, I am usually unmoved by Tyler Stout. The minimal use of color feels increasingly gimicky and (I believe I read it somewhere on this forum, actually) a lot of his posters look like reimaginings of Mt. Rushmore. I'm not saying I don't like any of his drawings, but I don't think I've seen a stout that I would leap out of my seat to buy.

But show me a Whalen or a Moss and I'm usually excited.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1661 on: April 08, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »
David, my only issue is the trite term of 'true fan'.  It is 100% arbitrary and impossible to determine when discussed amongst poster collectors, sports fans, cigar aficionados, and so on.  

Also, flipping keeps going to the fortune of some and misfortune of others because of the HYPE.
It is debatable what prints from Mondo even deserve the hype, but that is for a different day.

Regardless, you are the keeper of a fan site for all things Alamo posters and are inadvertently keeping the hype up, or adding to it in a sense with your site's mere existence...so there is that to consider also.

I was mistaken,

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #1662 on: April 08, 2011, 01:47:41 PM »
This thread gets better and better all the time.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1663 on: April 08, 2011, 02:07:30 PM »
But show me a Whalen or a Moss and I'm usually excited.

Hey, that's what makes us human a little interesting... those differences.  Really don't like Whalen and Kelly, don't love Moss (except for his SW series), love Stout, Danger, Ansin and Taylor.  As long as we do it somewhat respectfully, we'll be okay :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1664 on: April 08, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »
David, my only issue is the trite term of 'true fan'.  It is 100% arbitrary and impossible to determine when discussed amongst poster collectors, sports fans, cigar aficionados, and so on. 

Also, flipping keeps going to the fortune of some and misfortune of others because of the HYPE.
It is debatable what prints from Mondo even deserve the hype, but that is for a different day.

Regardless, you are the keeper of a fan site for all things Alamo posters and are inadvertently keeping the hype up, or adding to it in a sense with your site's mere existence...so there is that to consider also.

Well its all subjective anyways .. Its just fun to bs, rejoice and just flat out be a whiny bitch sometimes ;)

Oh and my website is an informational tribute site not a fan site !!! :P

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1665 on: April 09, 2011, 06:50:44 AM »
Want to kill flips.

Try this a couple times:

Everybody is happy.

This would be the sensible thing to do for those buying because they like the posters - unfortunately, the limited edition aspect is what drives the demand I think. That hoarder mentality that they must own it (even if it's just going into a drawer or under the bed and won't ever see the light of day). I think if you took that away, the demand would probably drop off.

guest8

« Reply #1666 on: April 12, 2011, 08:09:02 PM »
New pardee prints .. I cant say Im a huge fan of Alex's work .. I think he totally missed the mark on teh scream print but I think the Nightmare is pretty good .. Not amazing but one I will try to buy non-the-less :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1667 on: April 12, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
New pardee prints .. I cant say Im a huge fan of Alex's work .. I think he totally missed the mark on teh scream print but I think the Nightmare is pretty good .. Not amazing but one I will try to buy non-the-less :)

I agree.  How large is the NOES?  I'll pass on anything smaller than 24x36in.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1668 on: April 12, 2011, 08:55:07 PM »
I think that it is really hard to make a bad Elm Street print.  The best is still the first Alamo print.

guest8

« Reply #1669 on: April 12, 2011, 09:45:07 PM »
I agree.  How large is the NOES?  I'll pass on anything smaller than 24x36in.

T

I havent seen sizes listed yet .. But the prints are $35 .. So Id guess 18x24 .. That or they dont have faith that Pardees prints will sell as well as other more recent/more expensive prints (with larger print runs)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1670 on: April 12, 2011, 10:57:41 PM »
I'll pass on anything smaller than 24x36in.

Why??

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1671 on: April 12, 2011, 11:31:26 PM »
Why??

Because I don't like small prints!

Anything else?
My Personal Collection

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1672 on: April 12, 2011, 11:47:04 PM »

Anything else?

How many chickens does it take to change a lightbulb?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1673 on: April 13, 2011, 12:00:34 AM »
How many chickens does it take to change a lightbulb?

Just one, and she'll screw it in as soon as she decides it isn't going to hatch.
My Personal Collection

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #1674 on: April 13, 2011, 12:12:38 AM »

God(TM), these 2 posters are a pile of shit.