Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538723 times)

JessicaLee

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1625 on: April 06, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »
Is there any way you could institute some sort of superficial change in the checkout system (swap two form boxes, swap placement of submit/cancel buttons, etc...) prior to drops to disrupt the flippers using scripts/automation to acquire multiples?  Or heck, just add a CAPTCHA challenge prior to checkout.  I imagine the only people who would complain about the inconvenience are the flippers.  I think most buyers/collectors would be happy to know that a unique human is buying each poster.  It won't eliminate flippers by any means, but it would be a good start in restoring confidence...

We've actually considered CAPTCHA devices in the past, but we don't really want to add any additional computing tasks under our already heavy server load. As you know, for releases like Kill Bill, the pages load pretty slow, so adding a random image generator could only make that issue worse. Plus, we've never found any evidence of 'bots' being used through the checkout process. I'll admit, it's beyond my area of expertise, but I'm not even sure it would be possible - we create the product page literally the second before item goes live. Some people might be use monitoring programs to tip them off when the site changes, but there's not really much we can do to fight that.

The reality is that when we release a poster with a larger demand than supply, there's always going to be some people that try to capitalize on eBay. Our edition sizes are often decided on with the studios, filmmakers, artists, etc, so while some editions admittedly do not meet demand, it's not always our decision.

I'll admit some of our site operations are less than perfect, but they're also the best we've been able to find for our specific needs. And we're always trying to improve. Which is why it's nice to hear ideas like these!

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1626 on: April 06, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »

We've actually considered CAPTCHA devices in the past, but we don't really want to add any additional computing tasks under our already heavy server load. As you know, for releases like Kill Bill, the pages load pretty slow, so adding a random image generator could only make that issue worse. Plus, we've never found any evidence of 'bots' being used through the checkout process. I'll admit, it's beyond my area of expertise, but I'm not even sure it would be possible - we create the product page literally the second before item goes live. Some people might be use monitoring programs to tip them off when the site changes, but there's not really much we can do to fight that.

The reality is that when we release a poster with a larger demand than supply, there's always going to be some people that try to capitalize on eBay. Our edition sizes are often decided on with the studios, filmmakers, artists, etc, so while some editions admittedly do not meet demand, it's not always our decision.

I'll admit some of our site operations are less than perfect, but they're also the best we've been able to find for our specific needs. And we're always trying to improve. Which is why it's nice to hear ideas like these!

I just want to be able to access the website... I try every time, even if I don't want the poster, and I've only ONCE gotten to the page. From two different internet connections, in all three main browsers, and on two different computers. All I know is if you do a Luxo Jr. print and I don't get one There Will Be Blood.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1627 on: April 07, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »
ok.. whos going for roger rabbit..i might as it goes.. love the doc..

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1628 on: April 07, 2011, 03:42:43 PM »
Pass.  And I'm a big Roger Rabbit fan, but this guy, Whalden, not my cup of tea.  Don't own anything of his and don't think I ever will.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1629 on: April 07, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »

Not sure about this one.  As Thierry says, he doesn't have a Whalen yet and doesn't plan to...might have to second that, who knows.
I thought Mickey was just ok. This one is just ok.

Why is JESSICA RABBIT just an afterthought, ironically positioned above 'Alamo Drafthouse Kid's Club', yet extremely small compared to a dominating Doom glove full of Dip?  She needs to dominate this poster!

I love Roger Rabbit so much, but kinda wish they mixed it up a bit with perhaps Eric Tan doing this one.  Oh well.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1630 on: April 07, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »

Not sure about this one.  As Thierry says, he doesn't have a Whalen yet and doesn't plan to...might have to second that, who knows.
I thought Mickey was just ok. This one is just ok.

Why is JESSICA RABBIT just an afterthought, ironically positioned above 'Alamo Drafthouse Kid's Club', yet extremely small compared to a dominating Doom glove full of Dip?  She needs to dominate this poster!

I love Roger Rabbit so much, but kinda wish they mixed it up a bit with perhaps Eric Tan doing this one.  Oh well.

I want this... Who's cock do I have to suck? Because I'll DO IT. I can never get to the god damn website when they do drops, I just flat out can't. Anybody want to be nice and maybe make $20 by getting me one?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1631 on: April 07, 2011, 04:51:47 PM »
From Afghanistan on my dial up connection, I was not even about to try for Kill Bill.  Maybe I will have better luck through Tyler's site.  On another note, I am quite happy with my Alamo collection as it stands.  I am not sure I have the heart to chase them anymore and, not that there are not some good offerings.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

guest8

« Reply #1632 on: April 07, 2011, 05:26:33 PM »
Im a +3 on what T said .. Im a big Roger fan and this poster is just lacking .. Wheres all the fun bright colors !?!? :(

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1633 on: April 07, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
The more I look at it, it appears that Roger really enjoyed his proctology exam from Judge Doom.

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1634 on: April 07, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
The more I look at it, it appears that Roger really enjoyed his proctology exam from Judge Doom.

:)
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1635 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:09 AM »

Aww, man... Now I can't unsee it that way. It totally ruined the poster for me.
I guess I'll pass now... which is really too bad. I'm a MASSIVE Roger Rabbit fan...

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #1636 on: April 08, 2011, 12:29:58 AM »

OMG, this is the greatest art ever done by a human being with a good graphic arts background.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1637 on: April 08, 2011, 12:36:40 AM »
Fun Fact: This poster includes a question mark in the title "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". The title of the movie does not include a question mark because it's considered bad luck in the film industry. Because in the 80s all the coke-snorting producers would rather be superstitious than grammatically correct.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1638 on: April 08, 2011, 12:44:24 AM »
OMG, this is the greatest art ever done by a human being with a good graphic arts background.

HAHA, first laugh of the day.  :D
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

guest8

« Reply #1639 on: April 08, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »
Roger up and gone .. these drops are going crazy fast anymore ... Im glad I wasnt trying for this one ..

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1640 on: April 08, 2011, 12:02:20 PM »
Beautiful, sold out before I even got the Twitter notice, I love this system.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1641 on: April 08, 2011, 12:02:52 PM »
same issue here, i did go for it... added to basket, checkout...... sold out.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1642 on: April 08, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
2 minutes to sell that WFRR?  I am impressed.  What fascinates me most here, no pun intended, is how different people's tastes can be.  Each time I feel Mondo has a clunker, they prove me wrong.  More power to them, I say.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1643 on: April 08, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
2 on ebay if anyones interested

guest8

« Reply #1644 on: April 08, 2011, 12:05:34 PM »
2 minutes to sell that WFRR?  I am impressed.  What fascinates me mist here, no pun intended, is how different people's tastes can be.  Each time I feel Mondo has a clunker, they prove me wrong.  More power to them, I say.

T

I dont know if its the fans really as much as people thinking these will be like the stouts .. and sell for $300+ in a 24hr auction .. Always right after a big drop (like KB and SW ) the noob flippers come out of the wood work thinking that every print will blow up like the others .. I think we will see a lot of auctions failing for these prints ..and hopefully burning a few noob flippers right out of the business ..

guest8

« Reply #1645 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:25 PM »
2 on ebay if anyones interested

I see 6 now

guest8

« Reply #1646 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:58 PM »
10 now ...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1647 on: April 08, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »
With each drop, the reactions here are more of the same, from the same.

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #1648 on: April 08, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »
12now ... See its like I said .. a lot of noob flippers expecting this to be just like any other Stout or Moss .. Im sure we will have 20% of the run on ebay by the end of the week .. and I pray they will be languishing with few if any bids ! :P

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1649 on: April 08, 2011, 12:12:44 PM »
David, I don't think there is an exact and defining science behind those who flip, when they flip, why they flip, percents of the drop flipped, etc.

With SW taking Mondo to the next level, the cat is out of the bag, and anyone and everyone who can get their paws on these to sell for a quick buck, will.  Just like any other limited collectible.

I was mistaken,