Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538814 times)

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1575 on: April 05, 2011, 11:47:14 AM »
thats pathetic.

It is - to not have a cart that reserves a print for you is pretty crappy when they know demand is so high.

Nevermind, I'm sure over 50% will be flipped, so perhaps prices on the secondary market will be diluted a bit.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1576 on: April 05, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »
Having a cart reserve is the same difference, and boils down to the first people on the click anyway.  And people will still complain. 

You win some, you lose some...and yet, life goes on.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1577 on: April 05, 2011, 11:51:15 AM »
Im wondering .. even though this is a popular title .. how many think the market will get flooded right away and the prices will drop dramatically ?? Im sure over time when collectors have them all they may go back up in value but because of the large influx to ebay .. like right now.. I think the price may drop off before it starts its climb back up ..

Considering how many people missed the drop on all forums, I don't think it will.  This is one of Mondo's hottest titles done by Mondo's hottest artist.  I think prices are going to stick.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1578 on: April 05, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »
Mondo claims to not reserve whats in peoples carts in fear of flippers using multiple computers and adding multiple copies of a print to their carts and then having XX amount of time to work there way through checkout which is what scalpers do on ticketmaster and all that .. This kind of leaves it a little more to chance. But Im sure the hard-core flippers have their ways of getting themselves multiples one way or another.

guest8

« Reply #1579 on: April 05, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
I see a reg already sold today for $175

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1580 on: April 05, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »
I see a reg already sold today for $175

That was pre-Mondo drop.

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1581 on: April 05, 2011, 12:05:12 PM »
Are there really only 3 on Ebay or am I not looking at it right?  3 is nothing, really.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1582 on: April 05, 2011, 12:07:01 PM »
If by 3 you mean 11 and counting, then yes  ;D

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1583 on: April 05, 2011, 12:14:53 PM »
iv counted 19 already.. variants & regualrs

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1584 on: April 05, 2011, 12:16:14 PM »
Yeah, it's very weird, each time I refresh, I get a different number...  Oh well, I'm sure Tyler will have a drop, guys, but probably not until the end of the month.

T
My Personal Collection

longdog

« Reply #1585 on: April 05, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »
Hmmm, $1000 for a variant now on ebay.

That isn't a flip it's a full on somersault! This really does take all the fun out it.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF

I was mistaken,

easyenders

« Reply #1587 on: April 05, 2011, 02:10:48 PM »
not looking at any alamo, stout or otherwise any more. liked them once, now I couldn't care less.

longdog

« Reply #1588 on: April 05, 2011, 02:15:53 PM »
Well Wonka, that is extraordinary... or just mad.

Why would a company continue to print (in relatively low numbers) posters that sell for fairly small amounts in a matter of minutes only to witness this price explosion a few hours later. Do they not want (or deserve to earn) this for themselves?

It just does not make any sense... I bet their bank manager can't fathom it out either.

Either way, it's been a long five years since I got the first of these type of prints and had weeks to decide if I wanted to make the purchase!

easyenders

« Reply #1589 on: April 05, 2011, 02:24:35 PM »

Why would a company continue to print (in relatively low numbers) posters that sell for fairly small amounts in a matter of minutes only to witness this price explosion a few hours later. Do they not want (or deserve to earn) this for themselves?

It just does not make any sense... I bet their bank manager can't fathom it out either.

Either way, it's been a long five years since I got the first of these type of prints and had weeks to decide if I wanted to make the purchase!

:)

guest8

« Reply #1590 on: April 05, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Dont count Mondo out .. they took lessons from the oil companies .. they are inching their prices up a little at a time so no one seems to really notice .. as well as their print runs are getting larger as well .. But they know they cant just all at once jack up the prices and introduce prints for $200 or they would lose a lot of the hype and flippers because most prints wouldn't resell for much higher making the already minimal profit margin of flipping (on an average poster stouts not included) potentially a negative profit margin... And dont let Mondo fool you they NEED the flippers and the hype .. If these things didnt sell out instantly people wouldnt want them so badly .. Which is why with posters like Attack Position that didnt sell out they pulled it off the website to sell in store .. it gives the illusion that everything including the crap sells out and is therefore worth something .. I think businesswise they are doing a good job .. But they are alienating a lot of customers as well which is just foreshadowing of their bubble bursting ...

Also .. Saw this from Tyler ..
Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair

24x36 on cream paper / Commissioned by The Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
6 Color Screenprint with Metallic Inks
available after April 20th. Will send out more info to my mailing list.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #1591 on: April 05, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »

How do you know it's not them selling the posters on ebay?

guest8

« Reply #1592 on: April 05, 2011, 02:34:10 PM »

you know Ive always wondered that as well ...

longdog

« Reply #1593 on: April 05, 2011, 02:40:54 PM »
Which is the very same conversation I've just had with a good friend of mine who's also been buying these over the last several years.

I must be getting more cynical in my slightly older years!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1594 on: April 05, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »

Think in broader terms.

As much as Justin/Mondo have publicly denounced all things flippers and flipping, the bottom line is that Mondo is the long term winners even over the flippers. The exuberant prices realized immediately following a drop does nothing but draw more attention and hype to their products. This in turn causes more of a buyer frenzy where the vets and growing hordes of newbies alike determine 'I gotta have it' which keeps the fast sell outs going, the increasing numbers of Mondo followers on Twitter rising, friends on facebook, etc...it boils down to attention that continues to snowball, and keeps the sell outs happening and on cue.

If they raise print runs, the chances of a fast sellout decrease as well as the cravings from collectors...it would simply put a damper on demand and then Mondo couldn't do what they do.  

Also, you aren't considering the percent of flipped prints vs. ones that are kept by collectors, either up on the wall or in a flat file.  I would wager that less than 15% (overestimate) of a given drop are flipped, so to Mondo, it doesn't matter...its worth it, even.

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #1595 on: April 05, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »
Id say 15% is a fair ... If I were to guess Id say 10-20% of each run is flipped right away..

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1596 on: April 05, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »

Exactly.  I'll bet it's Mondo employees and insiders.
Either way these flippers are unabashedly opportunistic fuckers.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1597 on: April 05, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »
Exactly.  I'll bet it's Mondo employees and insiders.

As always, the non-Alamo folk on the APF have apparently figured it all out.

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #1598 on: April 05, 2011, 04:32:37 PM »
Exactly.  I'll bet it's Mondo employees and insiders.

Actually .... Id be ok with it if it were Mondo ... Kill Bill is a perfect example of the different ways that they can sell .. 1st offering was at the Beverly screening .. then an online sale in their store all at set pricing .. Then an eBay release which would let the market dictate the value .. I would see that as a sound business practice .. This way Mondo gets the extra money for the inflated market value and allows them to leverage other licenses and more clout to present when dealing with the studios and trying to attain rights for other properties..  Its the leaches in society that I dont like .. People making money off of the efforts of others .. People who buy with the sole intention to keep it out of a true collectors hands so they can turn around and charge them whatever they choose (or the market chooses) Mondo created these pieces (along with the help of the artists) so I feel they can sell them however they like .. Its their hard work and effort here so I wouldnt mind so much if they had a mondo Ebay store and sold 10-20% of the run on ebay after the online sales ..

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1599 on: April 05, 2011, 04:45:55 PM »
As much as I like Stout and Kill Bill, I did not even try to get one because its not worth the time or effort with Mondo anymore.

Cj