Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538967 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1525 on: March 28, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »
As for lucas yes, blame him constantly even for things he didn't do.
laugh1
I'm with you on that, brother from another mother...

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #1526 on: March 28, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »
laugh1 laugh1 rofl1 rofl1

ok jumped the gun on the "best" comment. it is easily the best silkscreen SW paper, and in my opinion does crush MOST of the original paper for the films

laugh1
I'm with you on that, brother from another mother...

cheers

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1527 on: March 28, 2011, 01:53:32 PM »
You can hardly blame olly for making the greatest star wars paper ever, blame the dumb ass people who pay that much for them.As for lucas yes, blame him constantly even for things he didn't do.
'Sup, Evan.

I don't mean 'blame' in a literal sense here.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #1528 on: March 28, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »
'Sup, Evan.

I don't mean 'blame' in a literal sense here.

not much, ben.

i know i was just stating that i do actually blame the people who pay these ridiculous prices, when in reality if no one bought them for those prices the flippers would have to come down or not sell.

guest8

« Reply #1529 on: March 28, 2011, 06:37:28 PM »
here we go again ... Another flippers paradise .. The new Mondo MMM .. At least they are 'trying" to keep it out of flippers hands . by saying only people with tickets to the show can buy a print .. and Ill assume its one per person as usual .. But that just means it will be near impossible to get these and/or the prices will go through the roof (if its a nice poster/good movie)

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1530 on: March 28, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »

i know i was just stating that i do actually blame the people who pay these ridiculous prices, when in reality if no one bought them for those prices the flippers would have to come down or not sell.

my $2 worth is that these prices are fake/made up/ delusional... the only reason there is mass carnage every time there is a drop is that people are now seeing these as free money.. i mean if i was to open my door once a week handing out £50 notes to the 1st 100 people who gave me £5 id have people sleeping outside my door.
and this is exactly what is happening with these prints.. i mean you have the olly moss sets selling for more than the hildebrant quad.. get a fucking clue!!!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1531 on: March 28, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »
ok jumped the gun on the "best" comment. it is easily the best silkscreen SW paper, and in my opinion does crush MOST of the original paper for the films

'Best silkscreen' doesn't have much competition.  There are several originals per title that 'crush' Olly's semi-clever attempts.

my $2 worth is that these prices are fake/made up/ delusional... the only reason there is mass carnage every time there is a drop is that people are now seeing these as free money.. i mean if i was to open my door once a week handing out £50 notes to the 1st 100 people who gave me £5 id have people sleeping outside my door.
and this is exactly what is happening with these prints.. i mean you have the olly moss sets selling for more than the hildebrant quad.. get a fucking clue!!!

thumbup sm1 thumbup

that's three thumbs up, so it has to be good...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1532 on: March 28, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »
i mean you have the olly moss sets selling for more than the hildebrant quad.. get a fucking clue!!!

Ain't that the truth.
Sacrilege I sez...

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #1533 on: March 28, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »
i agree also. trust me as much as i like the posters, i dont own them. once my computer froze trying to buy the set from mondo and they were at 350-500 on ebay (literally 2 seconds later) i wouldnt even pay that much (unless it was to trade them for tylers the thing).

hilderbrant quad is definitely one that crushes ollys along with the b1 for ESB.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1534 on: March 29, 2011, 10:11:28 AM »
iv counted 5 kill bills on ebay already... and it hasnt even dropped..

guest8

« Reply #1535 on: March 29, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »
Theres 6 now and 5 that show with bids under completed listings .. So if the ones up now sell thats over 10% of what was sold will have been flipped.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1536 on: March 29, 2011, 10:27:15 AM »
and it hasnt even dropped..

Your repeated motions to discount all things Mondo is duly noted, but maybe your over-zealousness keeps you from considering the easily accessible facts (and values realized over time on certain prints) more times than not...?  

The pertinent info is in this thread: they sold about 100 of these at the actual screening with Quentin.  The rest will go on Mondo at some point, probably what you are hastily alluding to, but technically the drop has already happened.

Thankfully, they are doing this/did this the old school Mondo way and that is actual posters intended for and sold at actual screenings, in this case, last Sunday night.

I was mistaken,

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #1537 on: March 29, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »
I wonder if employees from any of the parties are getting to unload theirs first so they get top dollar and don't have to compete against the public who will be flipping against them. I'm not saying this is happening but, it's just got me wondering.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #1538 on: March 29, 2011, 10:30:51 AM »
oh thanks for the update Ben on the screening. I haven't kept up with it.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1539 on: March 29, 2011, 10:35:03 AM »
Your repeated motions to discount all things Mondo is duly noted, but maybe your over-zealousness keeps you from considering the easily accessible facts (and values realized over time on certain prints) more times than not...?  

im not here to discount everything mondo, i just find it rather embarrassing that people are falling all over themselves to buy a print for $600 when in 1-3 days they will have the chance to get it for its TRUE value of $75.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1540 on: March 29, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
oh thanks for the update Ben on the screening. I haven't kept up with it.

Chad, I hope you are well.  I am shocked you weren't in line to watch the film with your boy QT.
Also, your avatar always freaks me out...it looks just like a student of mine from back in the day and to be honest, I really thought she wanted to kill me...so...thanks for the nightmares!  :)

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1541 on: March 29, 2011, 11:13:54 AM »
im not here to discount everything mondo, i just find it rather embarrassing that people are falling all over themselves to buy a print for $600 when in 1-3 days they will have the chance to get it for its TRUE value of $75.

In regards to KB and folks biting the bullet now over trying their luck online, yes, I think it is a bit ridiculous...so I am with you on that.

However, I think you underestimate 'value' when it comes to Mondo's wares, especially the Moss SW set.  My critiques of Mondo over the years have delved into the harsher area of things to say the least (don't tell the boys at EB anything bad about the Taylor Bounty Hunter set, they get a bit...crazy), but I have seen some prints incur value over time, some keep a price point going...but rarely to they keep their retail price in terms of subsequent value, especially nowadays post SW series.

I was mistaken,

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1542 on: March 29, 2011, 11:28:47 AM »

However, I think you underestimate 'value' when it comes to Mondo's wares, especially the Moss SW set.  My critiques of Mondo over the years have delved into the harsher area of things to say the least (don't tell the boys at EB anything bad about the Taylor Bounty Hunter set, they get a bit...crazy), but I have seen some prints incur value over time, some keep a price point going...but rarely to they keep their retail price in terms of subsequent value, especially nowadays post SW series.

fair point...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1543 on: March 31, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
So what's going on with Mondo?  The EB "enthusiasts" are going nuts over some secret poster coming out tomorrow, maybe a Struzan.  I'm not going to read through 40 pages of speculation.  Anybody have the scoop? 

longdog

« Reply #1544 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:47 AM »
I think it either has something to do with a Kill Bill variant printed on an unusual material (bamboo for example) or it's to do with this secret screening of a film (classic, new or marathon) that will have just 100 posters (maybe variants as well) produced and available to those only at the actual screening.

Sounds interesting but sucks not to be even in with a fair chance of picking up whatever it maybe. There could be some very high mark-ups when these inevitably hit ebay especially if it is a really collectable title.

And I suspect it's only a matter of months before they start producing some Indiana Jones material especially if the rumours of Struzens involvement with Mondo is true.

guest8

« Reply #1545 on: March 31, 2011, 02:02:19 PM »
Yeah i got yelled at by Mitch when I expressed concern about this mystery movie night .. Theres quite a few people making a long trip for an unknown movie and an unknown print/artist .. I simply stated that I personally wouldnt want to make the trip from Indy to TX just to get there and have a mediocre film and/or poster .. Justin was hyping this mystery release pretty good by telling everyone they will not want to miss out that out of towners need to get a poster buddy and all that .. Then Mitch laid into me for insulting the "Attack Position" poster (i referred to it as a disappointment) because he and his buddies think its the best poster EVA!!! *rolls eyes*

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1546 on: March 31, 2011, 02:49:13 PM »
I don't believe u.  Rich Kelly's prints, all of them, are amongst the worst done by the Alamo.  I think Mitch was pulling your leg.

Good one, though :)
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1547 on: March 31, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
Regardless of Mitch's words and intentions, he and Justin, along with their legions of lapdogs on that site are a bunch of swarmy little ass hats.

Don't kick over that nerd hive, you will get stung.

I was mistaken,

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1548 on: March 31, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »
Regardless of Mitch's words and intentions, he and Justin, along with their legions of lapdogs on that site are a bunch of swarmy little ass hats.

Don't kick over that nerd hive, you will get stung.

laugh1 Nice one, Ben.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1549 on: March 31, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
I've actually had a few nice conversation with Mitch.  He seems like a nice guy.  What I don't like is that he seems to have a problem with criticism.  He was upset that I trashed Mondo a few times.  I told him that I would try to be more constructive with my criticism, but at the end of the day, if I hate something as much as I hate Kelly's stuff, that's what it is.  And that's also the purpose of a forum... to give people a voice and... well, a forum.  Everyone is entitled to its own taste, good or bad, and as much as they try to expend their horizons and hire new artists, they can't expect everyone to agree.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)