Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539063 times)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1450 on: March 24, 2011, 06:05:06 PM »
What theatrical campaign??? I havent seen any official theatrical character posters . a lot of fakes calling themselves wildings .. but other than that they have what .. 2 posters that anyone can say with some certainty are legit?

Ha ha, yeah, when I say campaign, I meant the two or so original posters that are out.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1451 on: March 24, 2011, 06:17:19 PM »
What theatrical campaign??? I havent seen any official theatrical character posters . a lot of fakes calling themselves wildings .. but other than that they have what .. 2 posters that anyone can say with some certainty are legit?

There have been only two posters printed for theatres, a teaser and a final, and they are identical. There was also a bus shelter featuring a train.
There were two sets of character posters at Comic Con, but which ones are real and what size they are is beyond me.
There is another set at the moment being tagged as "wilding" posters for each character. While the artwork is official, I doubt they were actually released as posters.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1452 on: March 24, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »
Really?  You think Snyder makes 'cult' films?

Yes, considering 300 and Watchmen were both met with mixed reviews and rather harsh criticism but went on to become financially successful and major pop-culture pieces in the last decade of film. Both movies reach a large but niche audience which hold the films in very high reverence.

As for Dawn of the Dead, even if the audience is widening, zombie films reach a cult of their own.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1453 on: March 24, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
Thanks to those brilliant color schemes, those Mondo SUCKER PUNCH posters truly suck.
Seriously muddy.  Ugh.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1454 on: March 24, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »
I thought 300 was one of the most racist movies to come along in a long time

oh dear god...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1455 on: March 24, 2011, 06:43:04 PM »
oh dear god...

You better believe it. 

Didn't we have this discussion on another forum (now dead) 2 or 3 years ago?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1456 on: March 24, 2011, 06:44:07 PM »
You better believe it. 

Didn't we have this discussion on another forum (now dead) 2 or 3 years ago?

Refresh our memories.  Why is 300 so racist?

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1457 on: March 24, 2011, 06:46:49 PM »
next you'll be telling me it was correct to change ba ba black sheep.. people go out of there way to look for an excuse to bring up racism.. in every little thing..

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1458 on: March 24, 2011, 06:49:39 PM »
Why is 300 so racist?

if 300 is racist, then the movie white chicks was directed by the black panthers.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1459 on: March 24, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »
if 300 is racist, then the movie white chicks was directed by the black panthers.

laugh1

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1460 on: March 24, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »
Refresh our memories.  Why is 300 so racist?

The Greek semi-Gods (aka Americans) vs the bad (almost primitive) Persians.  I almost walked out of that movie I was so repulsed.  It didn't help that it came out in 2007.

But this is old news.  I just don't like Snyder.  I think he's way overrated.  I see him as a better version of Ratman, only one that has a bit more visual instinct.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #1461 on: March 24, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »
I thought 300 was one of the most racist movies to come along in a long time

Then you're gonna love the prequel that's (reportedly) in the works.  It's gonna focus on Xerxes

Bruce

« Reply #1462 on: March 24, 2011, 07:14:17 PM »
"Then you're gonna love the prequel that's (reportedly) in the works"

Is it called "299"?

Bruce

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1463 on: March 24, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »

Is it called "299"?

and just when you think it cant get any worse....... bruce....

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1464 on: March 24, 2011, 07:33:27 PM »
The Greek semi-Gods (aka Americans) vs the bad (almost primitive) Persians.  I almost walked out of that movie I was so repulsed.  It didn't help that it came out in 2007.

But this is old news.  I just don't like Snyder.  I think he's way overrated.  I see him as a better version of Ratman, only one that has a bit more visual instinct.

T

Well that's certainly a take on 300 I've never heard before, but a brief Google search reveals you're not alone. After reading up a little about this opinion on the movie, I think its a valid reading but not the reading intended.

Frank Miller's source material is a glowing historical inaccuracy that should not even be considered a historical piece. Frank Miller admits freely and wholly he didn't do a damn day of research on the actual battle and the entire work stemmed from the idea of an army of 300 battling against a massive and more powerful army. Thus, it is not to be interpreted as a realistic portrayal of either Greeks or Persians. You might as well rename each army Team Red and Team Blue. That said, I don't think anybody came out of that movie rallying against the Middle-East with a renewed sense of hatred and superiority. At least nobody I know or have spoken to did.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1465 on: March 24, 2011, 07:34:27 PM »
"Then you're gonna love the prequel that's (reportedly) in the works"

Is it called "299"?

Bruce

It's actually just called "Xerxes", which I don't think is going to stick. But the movie is about Xerxes' conquests that will probably end with some shout out to where 300 began...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1466 on: March 24, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »

Well that's certainly a take on 300 I've never heard before, but a brief Google search reveals you're not alone. After reading up a little about this opinion on the movie, I think its a valid reading but not the reading intended.

Frank Miller's source material is a glowing historical inaccuracy that should not even be considered a historical piece. Frank Miller admits freely and wholly he didn't do a damn day of research on the actual battle and the entire work stemmed from the idea of an army of 300 battling against a massive and more powerful army. Thus, it is not to be interpreted as a realistic portrayal of either Greeks or Persians. You might as well rename each army Team Red and Team Blue. That said, I don't think anybody came out of that movie rallying against the Middle-East with a renewed sense of hatred and superiority. At least nobody I know or have spoken to did.

Well put, Anthony, but from a historical perspective, it was the wrong movie at the wrong time.  And the fact remains that one side is white and the other... not so white.  Not really blue and red.  But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.  It's just entertainment.  I just found it offensive.  And no, I'm not pro-Iranian.  I'm a Caucasian white dude, but I also have my limits.

T
My Personal Collection

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1467 on: March 24, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »
Well put, Anthony, but from a historical perspective, it was the wrong movie at the wrong time.  And the fact remains that one side is white and the other... not so white.  Not really blue and red.  But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.  It's just entertainment.  I just found it offensive.  And no, I'm not pro-Iranian.  I'm a Caucasian white dude, but I also have my limits.

T

I understand exactly where you're coming from, don't worry. Being aware of and sensitive to prejudice in all its forms is a positive quality.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1468 on: March 24, 2011, 08:44:35 PM »
We spent MANY weeks dissecting Indiana Jones and its Racism at University. Took me years to get over the three years of Film Study and enjoy movies again.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1469 on: March 24, 2011, 08:50:20 PM »
We spent MANY weeks dissecting Indiana Jones and its Racism at University. Took me years to get over the three years of Film Study and enjoy movies again.

Good one, Ari.  A very interesting point, there.  IJ is extremely racist too, but I loved it.  There goes my whole theory, down the drain.  I guess I hated Bush and what he had done to the world so much at the time that 300 really touched a nerve.

T
My Personal Collection

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1470 on: March 24, 2011, 08:53:09 PM »
Good one, Ari.  A very interesting point, there.  IJ is extremely racist too, but I loved it.  There goes my whole theory, down the drain.  I guess I hated Bush and what he had done to the world so much at the time that 300 really touched a nerve.

T

The time context in which you watch a film makes all the difference. I know somebody who lost his job a few weeks before 500 Days of Summer came out and when he went to see it he hated every second of it. A couple of years later, after a rewatch and some reflection, he realized he hated it because Joseph Gordon-Levitt quits his stable job that he's good at so he can "follow his dreams" and didn't like the idea of him not being able to get a job at all while JoGoLev throws one away in favor of greener pastures.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1471 on: March 24, 2011, 09:12:48 PM »
I don't agree with any of this hog-waller.
I'm sure the more learned of us can find 'racism' in everything we see or do, including looking in the mirror.
I go to movies for entertainment... and 300 (like Snyder's other films) entertained me a lot.
Too bad for those who didn't enjoy it.  pcorn

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1472 on: March 24, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »
I read a book by a script writer once, and he said something along the lines of.

Dont try and write metaphors or textuality into the script. Theres plenty of Film theorists who will read that into it, and they need a job.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1473 on: March 24, 2011, 09:23:28 PM »

...and 300 (like Snyder's other films) entertained me a lot.
Too bad for those who didn't enjoy it.  pcorn

That's because you love the BUSH.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1474 on: March 24, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
That's because you love the BUSH.

T

Jeb Bush in 2016.  hitself