Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538854 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1375 on: March 03, 2011, 10:33:52 AM »
Holiday is right. Their website was down for me the entirety of the Steamboat Willie sale. It went back up when it was sold out and everybody went home.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1376 on: March 03, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »
See what happens...  I used to be so excited about the next Mondo drop.  Then this year, I passed on 1, 2, 3, 5 and didn't even check the next drop.  The passion is dying.  It's not that the prints are horrible, it's just that they are so middle of the road.  There is nothing exciting about them.  Also passing on the Whalen.

Now, regarding the flippers, what really amazes me is what those bottom feeders will do for a few bucks.  A Moss or a Stout, I get it.  But buying a print, receiving it and mailing it back (all along taking the risk of a lost or crushed item) for a $10 profit, I don't get.  I know the economy is not back yet. but these people are really low life.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1377 on: March 03, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »
Speaking of Moss, does anybody happen to have an Olly Moss There Will Be Blood poster they're willing to part with? :P

I really didn't know much about the Mondo posters before Steamboat Willie caught my attention. I didn't understand why so many people seemed bored with Tom Whalen (I still love Steamboat Willie) until I saw the Paul print. The two are almost identical. I like the style, sure, but when it comes to originality he seems pretty lacking.

Should I expect all Tom Whalen posters to have the three main characters in hovering above the main method of conveyance in the story?

Bruce

« Reply #1378 on: March 04, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »
"But buying a print, receiving it and mailing it back (all along taking the risk of a lost or crushed item) for a $10 profit, I don't get."

Maybe the sellers work for them, so there is no shipping involved?

Bruce

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1379 on: March 09, 2011, 01:27:57 PM »
Mondo has a new print, Hobo something... While the art is nicely done, it is so repulsive that I'm passing on it, yet again.  But at least I can see an artist creation in this one, which is a definite plus.  I'm on my iPhone, so I'll let someone else post a picture.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1380 on: March 09, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »
Mondo has a new print, Hobo something... While the art is nicely done, it is so repulsive that I'm passing on it, yet again.  But at least I can see an artist creation in this one, which is a definite plus.  I'm on my iPhone, so I'll let someone else post a picture.

T

If I brought the thing into my house, my wife would question my sanity.  I find it revolting.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1381 on: March 09, 2011, 03:23:01 PM »
...my wife would question my sanity.

I thought that was done a long time ago.  Maybe someone should question her sanity.

T
My Personal Collection

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #1382 on: March 09, 2011, 04:35:08 PM »
Mondo has a new print, Hobo something...

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1383 on: March 09, 2011, 10:41:07 PM »
Been a few announced, no drop details that I have seen. Couple Moss, a Stout and Proctor

guest8

« Reply #1384 on: March 10, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
They say everything is being sold at the events and what is left over will go online .. But there is supposed to be another poster from Mondo being announced soon.

These festivals that may/may not make it online make it hard for me to keep track of releases on my website !! :P

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1385 on: March 10, 2011, 02:05:35 PM »
Can you not build a rapport with Mondo, so that any posters released they send you the image?
Best wishes,
Adam

guest8

« Reply #1386 on: March 10, 2011, 03:02:11 PM »
When I first started I made public statements here and on EB about needing pictures and I sent messages to Justin and Tim Doyle asking if they had any archived pictures from the old releases that I could use for my site. To this day I NEVER heard a single word from Justin about the pictures or my site ... maybe a couple months after I built the site up and it was pretty much as it is now (meaning all the major work was done) I got a PM on EB from Mitch stating the they (mondo crew) had been working on a reference/archive site and it was just now getting some traction ..Im paraphrasing this all but, in my own words .. He said to stop wasting my time with my site because they were going to be putting one of their own up soon .. and that was mid-January ..

LOL .. So in short no .. I dont have any rapport with anyone from Mondo and they seem to refuse to even acknowledge the existence of my site.. I dont know why they would be against someone creating a site like mine. I mean its basically free advertising .. But I had heard from someone else that someone had attempted this before and Mondo put a stop to it .. I dont have any details on that situation though .. If anything my site has probably hurt any sort of relationship I may have had with them.

guest8

« Reply #1387 on: March 10, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »
Im not crazy about the latest offerings as well .. But I wonder if certain Spielberg fans will buy them regardless ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1388 on: March 10, 2011, 03:44:49 PM »
If you're talking about me, no, I'm passing again.  I decided a while back not to buy Spielberg related prints for the purpose of completing a collection, because then it's endless.  Anyone can do a print.  Would I have to purchase it every single time?  The answer is no.

I'm on the trail hiking right now, but when I saw that Alamo was doing a CE3K print, I had to find a reception area and check it out immediately.  I mean, this is one title no one should fuck up.  There are so many possibilities.  So u can imagine my deception when I saw the Slater print.  Really?  This is it?  Ahhhhh!  Really upsetting.  I bought a lot of prints this year, but only one from Mondo.  Do they have a new art director, or are my tastes changing so radically.  I don't know.

Passing.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1389 on: March 10, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »
Looks like some kid did this CE3K on a Lite-Brite...   How sooo un-clever...  

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:03:23 PM by brude »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1390 on: March 10, 2011, 04:47:20 PM »
When I first started I made public statements here and on EB about needing pictures and I sent messages to Justin and Tim Doyle asking if they had any archived pictures from the old releases that I could use for my site. To this day I NEVER heard a single word from Justin about the pictures or my site ... maybe a couple months after I built the site up and it was pretty much as it is now (meaning all the major work was done) I got a PM on EB from Mitch stating the they (mondo crew) had been working on a reference/archive site and it was just now getting some traction ..Im paraphrasing this all but, in my own words .. He said to stop wasting my time with my site because they were going to be putting one of their own up soon .. and that was mid-January ..

LOL .. So in short no .. I dont have any rapport with anyone from Mondo and they seem to refuse to even acknowledge the existence of my site.. I dont know why they would be against someone creating a site like mine. I mean its basically free advertising .. But I had heard from someone else that someone had attempted this before and Mondo put a stop to it .. I dont have any details on that situation though .. If anything my site has probably hurt any sort of relationship I may have had with them.

That's too bad.
You're effectively advertising their products for free, just as you say.

But I had heard from someone else that someone had attempted this before and Mondo put a stop to it .. I dont have any details on that situation though .. If anything my site has probably hurt any sort of relationship I may have had with them.

Mondo couldn't put a stop to a website anyhow (with regards to using personal images), unless the images came from their website.
And before anyone else chimes in with the whole copyright issue regarding images, trust me, the studios and such CAN shut down websites.
That is why myself, and Fallen for instance, use our own images and those from other people.

Has it hurt your relationship?
No, I don't think it will have done.
I believe Mondo just don't want you taking all the glory because your site is effectively the only dedicated type.
Best wishes,
Adam

guest8

« Reply #1391 on: March 10, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »
That's too bad.
You're effectively advertising their products for free, just as you say.

Mondo couldn't put a stop to a website anyhow (with regards to using personal images), unless the images came from their website.
And before anyone else chimes in with the whole copyright issue regarding images, trust me, the studios and such CAN shut down websites.
That is why myself, and Fallen for instance, use our own images and those from other people.

Has it hurt your relationship?
No, I don't think it will have done.
I believe Mondo just don't want you taking all the glory because your site is effectively the only dedicated type.

We I have no idea of the details of how they may have stopped another site from going up .. Maybe empty threats alone was enough or maybe they just asked .. As for hurting my relationship .. its hard to say .. Im leaning towards yes though .. Mitch has hooked me up before with a print that was "sold out" and recently I heard from a VERY reliable source that he could do so again .. So I emailed him asking about the print and if hed want to sell some of his extra stock to me .. and I never even got a reply .. Im not saying we were buddys before but hes always replied to any emails I sent .. But now .. Nothing .. :(

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1392 on: March 10, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »
Who cares.  Keep your site up, advertise it on this forum, use our pictures, and if someone says something to you, I guarantee that we all have the actual prints to back you up.  So keep working on your site.  I personally don't care whether Mondo has one or not.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1393 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »
I thought there were actually some issues keeping images of the old stuff up. I don't remember the details, but they had images of previously released stuff on the site a long time ago.

Ted I think slater was actually going for the light brite look to be honest!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1394 on: March 10, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
We I have no idea of the details of how they may have stopped another site from going up .. Maybe empty threats alone was enough or maybe they just asked .. As for hurting my relationship .. its hard to say .. Im leaning towards yes though .. Mitch has hooked me up before with a print that was "sold out" and recently I heard from a VERY reliable source that he could do so again .. So I emailed him asking about the print and if hed want to sell some of his extra stock to me .. and I never even got a reply .. Im not saying we were buddys before but hes always replied to any emails I sent .. But now .. Nothing .. :(

Try emailing him again, and just say you're not sure if he got your initial email.
Sometimes people don't get them, or they delete them in bulk deletes or go into the junk mail ...
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1395 on: March 10, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
Ted I think slater was actually going for the light brite look to be honest!

Yes, Dale...I think you are right.  thumbup

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1396 on: March 10, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »

So, even shorter, they are asses over there.  I've tried to strike up conversation with them too, to no avail.  They only time they seem to talk is when Thierry starts bashing their oftentimes shitty art work and then they cry the blues about it.  They never participate here, and they don't do anything to curb the flippers or to fix their crash-prone site.  Give up wasting time in dealing with them, because they are a bit full of themselves over there, it would seem.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1397 on: March 10, 2011, 11:19:48 PM »
Who cares.  Keep your site up, advertise it on this forum, use our pictures, and if someone says something to you, I guarantee that we all have the actual prints to back you up.  So keep working on your site.  I personally don't care whether Mondo has one or not.

T

And you've got at least two lawyers on this site who will back you up.   sm1
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1398 on: March 10, 2011, 11:21:03 PM »
Im not crazy about the latest offerings as well .. But I wonder if certain Spielberg fans will buy them regardless ;)

These I like, and I like Slater's work overall.  I'll take a run.  Though, the way I've been running my mouth lately about Mondo, they might block me!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1399 on: March 10, 2011, 11:24:50 PM »
Though, the way I've been running my mouth lately about Mondo, they might block me!

laugh1
Well, if they do block you, I'm working up a 3D version on my Lite-Brite....