Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538751 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1350 on: February 25, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »
I liked this not, not loved, but picked one up. Pretty smooth checkout really, was amazed that it sold out that fast though.

I'm amazed you got one. I had the page open and my twitter ready and jumped on the sale literally seconds after the release tweet went out. Before I could even refresh the Mondo website it was telling me the site was down. It didn't become available to me until the tweet stating they had sold out was put out.

My heart cried. If you think you might want to sell your poster, let me know.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1351 on: February 25, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »

Good choice.  There are precious few mondo prints that have consistently commanded a $200 pricetag.  And I'd have to check, but I would say that fully three quarters of those are by Tyler Stout.  There are a few others, but not many, and that includes some pretty rare ones that are 4 or 5 years old.  Based on the artist and the print run, this will not be one of them.

So... good return on investment (at least 4 times, otherwise it's really not worth your time - unless of course, you're one of those Ebay scavengers scrapping pennies).

Stout
The Thing
Blade Runner
Big Trouble in Little China
Lost Boys
Star Wars 4,5,6
Big Lebowski

Moss
Evil Dead
Star Wars 4,5,6

Ansin
Phantom of the Opera
Metropolis

Slater
Goldfinger

What else?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1352 on: February 25, 2011, 02:40:43 PM »
I'm amazed you got one. I had the page open and my twitter ready and jumped on the sale literally seconds after the release tweet went out. Before I could even refresh the Mondo website it was telling me the site was down. It didn't become available to me until the tweet stating they had sold out was put out.

My heart cried. If you think you might want to sell your poster, let me know.

A lot of us who have bought dozens of prints in the past didn't go for this one.  If you're having trouble getting through Mondo, you should ask someone who has done it before to get it for you (if he doesn't want it for himself, of course.)  I was watching the sale go thru this morning (just to see how fast it would sell jawdrop), and had I known, I would have got you one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1353 on: February 25, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »

Why Mondo does not do this I have no clue.

Because if they do, their sales will drop by 50%.
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #1354 on: February 25, 2011, 02:52:24 PM »
So... good return on investment (at least 4 times, otherwise it's really not worth your time - unless of course, you're one of those Ebay scavengers scrapping pennies).

Stout
Hot FUZZtival
Warriors 06 Variant

The Thing
Blade Runner
Big Trouble in Little China
Lost Boys
Star Wars 4,5,6
Big Lebowski

Moss
Evil Dead
Star Wars 4,5,6

Ansin
Phantom of the Opera
Metropolis

Slater
Goldfinger

What else?

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1355 on: February 25, 2011, 03:11:19 PM »

Big Lebowski

What else?

Big Lebowski is not mondo first of all.  And to that list I would add (based on the 4x criteria) the following:

Field of Dreams (if you can find one)
The Shining (AA)
Once Upon a Time in the West (see Field of Dreams)
Remember the Alamo
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Searchers (maybe, depends really since none have really sold since the mondo explosion)
Bullitt (see above)
Inglourious Basterds
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1356 on: February 25, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »
That Field of Dreams, is awesome. Perhaps the one print i genuinely covet.

Lovely

Stew

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1357 on: February 25, 2011, 03:39:53 PM »
A lot of the early stuff is hard to get and although they do not go for what the Stouts go for, good luck trying to find them.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1358 on: February 25, 2011, 05:41:07 PM »
I missed the Steamboat Willie poster!
Gutted! What a numpty!  hitself

I wanted this for my Mother, as she is a massive Mickey Mouse fan, and this was going to be her Christmas present this year - yes, I plan in advance  laugh1

I bet the price has doubled!

Best,
Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1359 on: February 25, 2011, 06:09:46 PM »
I wanted this for my Mother, as she is a massive Mickey Mouse fan, and this was going to be her Christmas present this year - yes, I plan in advance  laugh1

Is she the biggest Mickey Mouse fan in the world?  Does she own the largest Mickey Mouse collection known to man?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1360 on: February 25, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »
because they do. not. care.

because it helps. their. business.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #1361 on: February 25, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1362 on: February 25, 2011, 07:23:56 PM »

What else?
if 4x is your qualifier then a number of the early releases would qualify, many helped by their low original sale price, but they just don't come up for air that often.

Some others not already on the list:
Jay Ryan's Close Encounters is selling for nearly 7x its $20 price.  His Ferris is over 10x.
Jaws
North By Northwest RR 07 Kleinsmith
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Set RR 08 Perkins is pretty close to 4x even with his art print cutting into demand.
Also, I know that Kleinsmith sold his last GB&U, a truly under-appreciated print, for $200, well above the 4x.

Getting Close:
King Kong 08 Burlesque is getting real close to 4x, as it should.
2001: A Space Odyssey 08 Ryan 3x and climbing...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1363 on: February 26, 2011, 12:31:34 AM »

Getting Close:
King Kong 08 Burlesque is getting real close to 4x, as it should.

Just got a copy in myself, and it really is a fine print.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1364 on: February 26, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »
Is she the biggest Mickey Mouse fan in the world?  Does she own the largest Mickey Mouse collection known to man?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

T

I thought you would say something like that, T !!!  rofl1

The answer is 'No', by the way! Lol!

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1365 on: March 01, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »
Definitely underwhelmed with the ST:City on the Edge of Forever.  Great choice of episode, but no way I'd shell out $54 for a tiny 12x24 poster without characters.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1366 on: March 01, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »
YEAH!!!  Another one I'm passing on.  We're in March and I only purchased 1 print from Mondo this year.  I don't know if I'm more discerning in my choices, or if the quality of the prints is drastically down, but I'm enjoying the savings.

T
My Personal Collection

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1367 on: March 01, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »
Not particularly interested and I'm still grieving over the miss of Steamboat Willie. I've been researching the most strategic way to get Mondo posters and (as expected) there's not a lot of explanation. A friend of mine recommended buying a gift card to streamline and swiften (word) the checkout process but I couldn't even get to the website, let alone get it in my cart...

How do you guys do it? Unless you don't want your tried and true secrets out in the open. I really wanted Steamboat Willie and if they continue with a Disney series (I would kiss a kidney goodbye for a Luxo Jr. poster) I want to make sure I stand a chance.

Karza

« Reply #1368 on: March 01, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
I'm with you on that one T I'm at +0 for the year, Nothing so far has been "wall worthy"
This is the first piece that has me on the fence, I like the way McCarthy always seems to give you the long shot of the subject matter.
It seems the sophistication level has been pretty low so far this year, very easy on the wallet.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1369 on: March 01, 2011, 06:33:45 PM »
Whalen is a poor man's Tan, without the dynamics.
Yep.  I would say that is a perfect comparison.  Whalen seems so bland, so flat.  Has nice approach, but isn't nearly aggressive enough.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1370 on: March 01, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »
The new ST print...don't know what to say.

The streak continues...how long will the Mondo no-hitter last?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #1371 on: March 02, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »
So the new ST took like 10 mins to sell out .. But it did sell out .. I didnt care for it myself but for some reason my sister-in-law loved it so I got it for her. :'(

Now they just posted up about another poster for the movie Paul, for starters I liked the movie so before the pic popped up I was excited .. But then I saw the picture .. Its another Whalen and Im really not impressed with the colors .. So even though I liked the film Ill be passing on that poster as well ..

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1372 on: March 02, 2011, 11:29:17 PM »
Can you believe that there are 26 of the latest on ebay.  It's absurd.  It's disgusting.  And it's pretty fucking irritating.  But Mondo, the whores that they are, they sell to whoever just to turn a buck.

If you're reading this Matt DO SOMETHING TO KILL THE FUCKING FLIPPERS!

I mean, REALLY?!  26 flippers the day of the drop. 

WHAT... THE... FUCK!

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1373 on: March 02, 2011, 11:38:04 PM »
PS:  This is not a rant from a disgruntled collector.  I didn't want the print and didn't go for it when it dropped.  It's truly the principle that Mondotees would let this kind of shit happen.  That's 26 collectors that were shut out.  Add that to Mondotee's shitty webserver that crashes if more than 5 people try to buy at once, and it makes for a lot of sore people.  Maybe, as a balm, they could take some of that flipper money and use it to UPGRADE THEIR FUCKING SERVERS!

Ok, I'm settled.  Going to have some milk and cookies.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1374 on: March 03, 2011, 08:21:47 AM »
Very good & valid points, Holiday.
From what I have read, the website always crashes??
And like you say, the money they must make could be spent on an upgrade ... Wouldn't harm their cash-flow too bad.

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam