Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539042 times)

guest8

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1300 on: February 18, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »
This has been a good year so far!! :D

Some recent purchases ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1301 on: February 18, 2011, 07:27:47 PM »
Nice Dave.  Since Mondo is giving us a little breathing room, it's a perfect time to complete our collections.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1302 on: February 18, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
Nice Dave.  Since Mondo is giving us a little breathing room, it's a perfect time to complete our collections.

T

Thanks T... I dont know about breathing room .. I think it might be cheaper to buy new posters each week then searching out these other more sought after pieces ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1303 on: February 18, 2011, 08:34:44 PM »
Agreed, but what you got there is quality and not Rich Kelly.

cheers
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1304 on: February 18, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »
LOL .. True .. ;) Speaking of .. I have an RK- Beetlejuice FS if anyone wants one :P

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1305 on: February 18, 2011, 09:03:12 PM »
Has there been a worse near-two month stretch of releases in Mondo history?  I submit not.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1306 on: February 18, 2011, 09:31:10 PM »
I actually enjoy it a lot.  Plus, it kills the scavengers who have nothing to sell to make a few bucks.  I can't imagine a Rich Kelly going high on a flipper's list.  Oh wait, I forgot about the EB gang.  Nevermind.

:)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1307 on: February 19, 2011, 01:33:48 AM »
Has there been a worse near-two month stretch of releases in Mondo history?  I submit not.

There have been plenty, usually congregated around a hen-scratched Doyle paint-by-numbers 'effort'... BTW, is everybody enjoying his Apocalypse Now art print, what a swell guy...

Also, most of 2010 falls into that category as well.  At the very least, some of these recent releases are for actual screenings.

guest8

« Reply #1308 on: February 19, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
There have been plenty, usually congregated around a hen-scratched Doyle paint-by-numbers 'effort'... BTW, is everybody enjoying his Apocalypse Now art print, what a swell guy...

Also, most of 2010 falls into that category as well.  At the very least, some of these recent releases are for actual screenings.

Yeah 2010 was just horrible with titles like ..

Wolfman (Ansin)
Bride of Frankenstein
Scott Pilgrim
True Grit
Evil Dead (Moss)
Iron Man 2
Terminator 2
Imaginarium of Dr Panassus
Hellboy II (its a 2010 piece I dont care when they sold it :P)

Some people really loved Moss' RR set of posters.. theyre not for me But gained a lot of praise so for arguments sake Ill add them to the list.

Let Me in (Moss)

Hoth
Sanctuary moon
Great Warrior
Wretched Hive
Ollys Set
Stouts Set

And the first 8 or so I listed where from actual screenings .. So to say most of 2010 falls into that category is just someone trying to hard yet again to be the superior pessimist ..

Not to say there werent a lot of "other" kinds of prints as well .. But Im sure some people out there loved Jones' - King's Lead Hat I didnt care for it at all but that made some other customers very happy ..

Same goes for Doyle .. While not all of his stuff isnt to my taste .. Some of it is .. Like I cant wait to get my "Moors" variant because I think it looks awesome !

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1309 on: February 19, 2011, 11:48:48 AM »
Also, most of 2010 falls into that category as well.  At the very least, some of these recent releases are for actual screenings.

I used to be adamant about the actual screenings aspect of the Mondos I added to my pile (albeit not as much as Mr. Brie), but since I live forever and a day from Austin and cannot attend the screenings anyway, I decided I was more or less over that characteristic of these in term of their inclusion.  I live and breathe as Ari does with this stuff...if I like it, I buy it.  Problem is, lately I haven't even been remotely tempted in this realm which is a buzz kill.

That being said, I do prefer the paper for screenings vs. art prints since it suits the Mondo powers that be much better as the art print category usually puts them over their head.  They need to stick to their initial gravy train, and while I am pleased to see this in practice lately, the art and design has been wholly amateurish to say the least.

Maniac Cop 2 looks like a bad design meant to grace the cover of a second rate Super Nintendo game box and corresponding instruction booklet.  (To be fair, I probably would like it better if it was for that purpose back in the day, it suits the time period of the hey day of that console).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:00:43 PM by wonka »

I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1310 on: February 19, 2011, 07:05:25 PM »
Yeah 2010 was just horrible with titles like ..

Wolfman (Ansin)
Bride of Frankenstein
Scott Pilgrim
True Grit
Evil Dead (Moss)
Iron Man 2
Terminator 2
Imaginarium of Dr Panassus
Hellboy II (its a 2010 piece I dont care when they sold it :P)

Some people really loved Moss' RR set of posters.. theyre not for me But gained a lot of praise so for arguments sake Ill add them to the list.

Let Me in (Moss)

Hoth
Sanctuary moon
Great Warrior
Wretched Hive
Ollys Set
Stouts Set

And the first 8 or so I listed where from actual screenings .. So to say most of 2010 falls into that category is just someone trying to hard yet again to be the superior pessimist ..

The RR prints were repetitive (TWBB and Rocky were the only two I liked).  The Star Wars, except for Stout, Moss and Taylor, were complete dreck.

Neither the Bride of Frankenstein nor Ansin's The Wolfman were for screenings.  I believe, but am not 100%, that the same can be said for Imaginarium (the poster was going to be for a screening, but wasn't ready in time so they released it as an art print).  If you are going set yourself up as the 'alamo archivist', then you should at least get your information correct.

Iron Man 2 is just another Stout, this time ruined by the film itself being flat-out terrible.  Moss's Let Me In was really nothing special and his Evil Dead wasn't bad, but it wasn't an improvement over the over the original one-sheet.

That leaves Scott Pilgrim, True Grit and Terminator 2.  So, five (and 1/2 for Evil Dead) out of, what, 50+ releases?  Yeah, one hell of a year.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1311 on: February 19, 2011, 07:25:40 PM »
I think you're being a little too harsh, Archie.  A lot of last year's prints were pretty good (some excellent), with or without a screening attached to it.  But I do agree that there were a lot of bad prints.  I didn't purchase any of Moss' RR prints, all dreadful (IMO, which is all extremely personal), a few SW were bad, especially Kelly's (OMG, that one was awful, but then again, some people love him), and there were many prints here and there that I cannot even remember.  Check out last year's offering at this point in time: Tommy, Dark Side, Frozen, House, even Monster Squad was not Tyler at his best.  So I guess what we're missing so far this year is an Ansin.  I'm going to email him right away and ask him WTF he's doing.

Wolfman (The) (Daniel Danger) (350) February 4, 2010   
Wolf Man (The) (Martin Ansin) (Regular 250) February 4, 2010
Wolf Man (The) (Martin Ansin) (Variant 75) February 4, 2010
House of the Devil (The Silent Giants) (100) February 1, 2010
Frozen (Kevin Tong) (65) February 1, 2010
Holy Mountain (Florian Bertmer) (125) January 26, 2010
Dark Side of the Rainbow (Jon Smith) (35) January 26, 2010
Tommy (Jesse Philips) (Regular 50) January 26, 2010
Tommy (Jesse Philips) (Variant 25) January 26, 2010
Monster Squad (Tyler Stout) (Regular 450) January 12, 2010
Monster Squad (Tyler Stout) (Variant 100) January 12, 2010
Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (The) (Martin Ansin) (150) January 4, 2010
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1312 on: February 19, 2011, 10:21:16 PM »
I think you're being a little too harsh, Archie.  A lot of last year's prints were pretty good (some excellent), with or without a screening attached to it.  But I do agree that there were a lot of bad prints.  I didn't purchase any of Moss' RR prints, all dreadful (IMO, which is all extremely personal), a few SW were bad, especially Kelly's (OMG, that one was awful, but then again, some people love him), and there were many prints here and there that I cannot even remember.  Check out last year's offering at this point in time: Tommy, Dark Side, Frozen, House, even Monster Squad was not Tyler at his best.  So I guess what we're missing so far this year is an Ansin.  I'm going to email him right away and ask him WTF he's doing.

Dark Side of the Rainbow (Jon Smith) (35) January 26, 2010

It's possible.  It's not that I think everything was so bad, some of it was even downright mediocre.  Except for those SW prints.  Those blew chunks.

FYI, absent from your list there was a silver/GID variant of 15 released at the same time for Dark Side, if I remember correctly...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1313 on: February 24, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »
Guess Mondo has a Disney series now.
First up is Steamboat Willie, by Tom Whalen.

Debuted on AICN:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48627

I was mistaken,

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1314 on: February 24, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
Very nice ... I'm not clued up with the mondo releases, so when does this go on sale?

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1315 on: February 24, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »
Last year, I was counting the posters I was buying, this year, I'm counting the posters I'm not buying.  It's a pass for me.  A title like this deserves a phenomenal print.  Too bad.

Ps: I'm writing this from the beach in Santa Monica.  It's about 65 degrees with blue skies.  A great day in the sun.
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #1316 on: February 24, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »
Saving me some more money .. thanks mondo! :)

Im disappointed though this is in conjunction with SideShow .. I had hoped for other .... more ... Interesting properties ???

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1317 on: February 24, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »
No love for the Steamboat Willie poster? Really? I love it - but maybe I'm biased.

It's going to be printed with metallic ink, so maybe it will look much grander when it's glimmering silver and gold.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1318 on: February 24, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »
Guess Mondo has a Disney series now.
First up is Steamboat Willie, by Tom Whalen.

Debuted on AICN:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48627

Whalen is a poor man's Tan, without the dynamics.

AICN's Harry 'I'm only in it for the freebies' Knowles makes fallen look like flippin' Shakespeare.  He's an embarrassment to the English language.

guest8

« Reply #1319 on: February 24, 2011, 05:46:51 PM »
No love for the Steamboat Willie poster? Really? I love it - but maybe I'm biased.

It's going to be printed with metallic ink, so maybe it will look much grander when it's glimmering silver and gold.

they all have metallic inks anymore :P

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1320 on: February 24, 2011, 07:09:39 PM »
they all have metallic inks anymore :P

Yes. Which is why the actual "prettiness" of the image really can't be communicated through a picture. I think the metallic silver/gold/black will look really classy.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1321 on: February 24, 2011, 07:14:26 PM »
Yes. Which is why the actual "prettiness" of the image really can't be communicated through a picture. I think the metallic silver/gold/black will look really classy.

No doubt that many of these prints are better-looking in person.  I'll probably pick this one up because my boy is a huge fan of the rat.  And I'll take this any day over that Down By Law turd they dropped last week.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1322 on: February 24, 2011, 07:26:57 PM »
Size is also important.  And I just don't want to buy any more of these small sizes.
My Personal Collection

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1323 on: February 24, 2011, 07:50:43 PM »
Size is also important.  And I just don't want to buy any more of these small sizes.

Those who want big posters only want to compensate for the smaller things they were gifted with  ;) or should I say smaller thing!!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1324 on: February 24, 2011, 08:11:55 PM »
Really CJ?  Like REALLY?  I think the last time this joke came up, I was in high school.  Good for you, my man.

Nice!
My Personal Collection