Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538817 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1275 on: February 10, 2011, 03:47:58 PM »
T,imo..the reason why there is no logic in any of these types of sales is because there is too many "hair trigger " buyers who get could caught up in the adreniline rush of bagging a fave print..i cant see you losing the plot on an e-bay poster no matter how much you might want to own it..i may be wrong ..and please tell me differently,but you just seem to love the catch rather than the actual poster sometimes.

Whole hearted bestness  ;D

Stew

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1276 on: February 11, 2011, 07:31:23 PM »
I've decided to be more discerning when it comes to prints, to stop buying everything in sight, and Mondo's latest offerings really help fulfill my goal. 

Been there since the beginning.  Even of the prints I like, I purchase very few.  Many, if not most, are just not as good as 'real' movie posters. 

The Moss/Stout Star Wars art prints are perfect examples.  Nice, well done prints, but they simply don't stack up to Tom Jung's Star Wars Style A or Half-sheet, the Ohrai ESB Daybill and the Revenge of the Jedi Advance or even Struzan's triptych when properly displayed.  Not to mention the whole 'not part of an actual screening' thing.

"but, but, but the metallics really POP!!!..."

guest8

« Reply #1277 on: February 11, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »
Just got my hellboy 2 today !!! DAMN!!!! It is at the top of my list of favorites now !! This one may even make it in a frame before my SW prints :)

guest8

« Reply #1278 on: February 12, 2011, 11:01:18 AM »
T, just came across another 2010 Alamo poster thats no on your list ...
http://alamodrafthouseposters.com/Screenings/redShoes.html

I just updated the site with 4 older prints that I came across .. one being the 2010 Red Shoes .. and three others dating before that .. and I added the three just released the other day :)

I am also waiting for a photo of a new QT Fest print to add sometime soon !! :D

It amazes me that Im still finding more and more new (old) stuff ..

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1279 on: February 12, 2011, 11:10:07 AM »
Thanks Dave, made the change.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1280 on: February 13, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »
Tom/Dylansdad on EB bought ALL the Star Wars posters directly from Mondo, framed them all, and posted the pics on Flickr.

The posters good, the statues hmmm....

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1281 on: February 13, 2011, 10:54:08 AM »
Actually, I like what he's done there.  I'd never do it myself. but for what it is, it's done with a lot of taste, IMO.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1282 on: February 14, 2011, 08:34:50 AM »
I dont normally repost too much or "advertise" for vendors .. BUT ..

If anyone missed out P&T is selling some of Taylors HBII posters this afternoon !
http://www.postersandtoys.net/servlet/Detail?no=1136

I got mine last week from Mondo and I have to say its one of my new favorites !!! The style is realistic and clean it reminds me of some of Ansins work (and he is one of my favorite artists that Mondo uses) .. I almost didnt pick it up when it first went on sale but Im super happy that i did !!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1283 on: February 14, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »
I would have bought it because I love Ken Taylor, but I can't look past what he did to Selma Blair.  I think she's really cute, but there is something really wrong about her face on the drawing.  It bothers me.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1284 on: February 14, 2011, 10:39:39 AM »
Taylor's Poltergeist is hands down his best work in this series, IMO. 

How that piece got brushed aside like it did is a crime, it needed its own heralded release.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1285 on: February 14, 2011, 11:03:58 AM »
I totally agree.  I've seen it sell for nothing on Ebay, and was like...  WTF!

It deserves much better.

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #1286 on: February 14, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »
I did notice the Selma "oddness" but that is just a small infraction when you take the whole thing into consideration .. I must confess I never even gave the Poltergeist poster a chance .. after seeing this one in person I may have to hunt that one down now.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1287 on: February 14, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »
The Poltergeist, like many other, looks amazingly better when in hand. Some of these the digital image just cannot do the print justice.

Taylor's Borg print looks amazing when in hand as well.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1288 on: February 14, 2011, 03:16:03 PM »
Down by Law by Rich Kelly.  Could be the next Alamo.  If so, another one I'm sitting out of.  Love the movie, but Kelly is really not my taste.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1289 on: February 14, 2011, 05:30:02 PM »
Not a fan of this poster at all, easy pass for me.

Kelly's style doesn't bother me like Doyle or Bertmer, but I just think Kelly is a better fit for illustrations in books and such.  I think he is a decent artist...but on Mondo posters?  Just seems like an odd mix.

I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1290 on: February 16, 2011, 10:06:35 AM »
Who's buying this beauty?!  NOT.  This poster is truly hideous, at least to me.  Who out there will admit to liking it?

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1291 on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »
It will sell out within seconds.  If you look at the Mondo thread on EB, 90% of those guys think it's a masterpiece.
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1292 on: February 16, 2011, 11:06:41 AM »
They think everything Mondo does is the next Monet.  That is why I don't post there nearly as I used to...ANY sort of misgivings or mere questioning of that stuff and they swarm you faster than flies on shit.

They are like Mondo lap dogs.  Throw us a bone, Justin!

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1293 on: February 16, 2011, 01:31:05 PM »
 laugh1

Still sitting there, almost an hour later.  And I still haven't bought anything from Mondo since Dracula.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1294 on: February 16, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »
Same here.  Dracula only, for me.

And what's really crazy is if you consider the fact that Horkula was designed for last year, so while it was released last month, it was technically a 2010 project/print.  That means that 2011 is pretty rough thus far, IMO.  I will remain optimistic, though.

I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1295 on: February 16, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »
Took a few hours, but they sold out.  As my father would say, there's an ass for every seat!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1296 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
Took a few hours, but they sold out.  As my father would say, there's an ass for every seat!

And by 'sell out', they mean 'we've pulled this off the web to maintain the facade of hyper-demand and will sell the rest of the copies in-store...'

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1297 on: February 16, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Who's buying this beauty?!  NOT.  This poster is truly hideous, at least to me.  Who out there will admit to liking it?

I like that the artist has his own style, has strong technique and is clearly talented, unlike 'Mr. Derivative' Doyle.  However, I don't particularly care for his film poster work, which is strange because I love movie posters from Jack Davis, who also employed exaggerated characteristics in his illustrations.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1298 on: February 16, 2011, 10:28:29 PM »
Like I said earlier, there's an ass for every seat....

Just fucking with you Archie.  He just doesn't appeal to me, to be sure.

I received my Hellboys today - they more than made up for today's drop.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Karza

« Reply #1299 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »
And by 'sell out', they mean 'we've pulled this off the web to maintain the facade of hyper-demand and will sell the rest of the copies in-store...'

you should see how many Attack Position and Han Shot First are in the store.  ;)