Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539357 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1150 on: December 31, 2010, 08:42:12 PM »
So anybody regret buying any or all the early "pure" (no titles) art prints for this series?  I'm glad I waited until the end - don't really see the point of movie art prints without titles:

tstatum

« Reply #1151 on: December 31, 2010, 09:22:49 PM »
I regret nothing.  Of course I wasn't lucky enough to actually get any of the titled variety.

guest8

« Reply #1152 on: January 01, 2011, 06:37:34 AM »
My only regret with some of the star wars art pieces were the misreprented sizes like Dawn of Tatooine was advertised as 24x36 but its actually something like 24.125x36.125 and is a custom frame job unless youre willing to trim it. So i ended up selling that on at cost to my brother.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1153 on: January 01, 2011, 07:56:19 AM »
My only regret with some of the star wars art pieces were the misreprented sizes like Dawn of Tatooine was advertised as 24x36 but its actually something like 24.125x36.125 and is a custom frame job unless youre willing to trim it. So i ended up selling that on at cost to my brother.

Two solutions to that quandary.  Take it to a professional framing shop and ask them to trim it to 24x36.  They only charge $5.  If the trimming is done by a professional, I don't think such a minor trim would impair the value.

The second solution is even easier.  I bought a slightly oversized 24.25 x 36.25 flip frame from Spotlight for $50.  Looks great and takes me 20 seconds to rotate the posters monthly.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1154 on: January 01, 2011, 08:18:07 AM »
So I put together a little promo slide show for the Alamo Star Wars posters - complete with the Star Wars Disco Theme - and posted it on YouTube.  What do you think?  (Be sure to watch it in 480p, not 240p).

guest8

« Reply #1155 on: January 01, 2011, 09:23:32 AM »
Two solutions to that quandary.  Take it to a professional framing shop and ask them to trim it to 24x36.  They only charge $5.  If the trimming is done by a professional, I don't think such a minor trim would impair the value.

The second solution is even easier.  I bought a slightly oversized 24.25 x 36.25 flip frame from Spotlight for $50.  Looks great and takes me 20 seconds to rotate the posters monthly.

Damn you and your flip frames :P Not a bad idea at that price though .. Ill just have to see what the cost beak down will be when I start cutting my own frames .. If that doesnt work out I may give in and give snaps a shot.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1156 on: January 01, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »
Unfortunately I had a nightmare trying to get the Moss and Tyler SW prints, the only one I managed was Stout's ROTJ.

Man, it was a pitched battle yesterday.  Stuff was popping up left and right randomly.  And when everyone thought the battle was over, the variant sets popped up!  Those who spotted and nabbed the variant sets made an instant profit of $1200.  I spotted them and was too surprised to react.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1157 on: January 01, 2011, 02:42:18 PM »
I think the market is simmering down on all of these.  There's a pile of Stout's posters languishing, even at 1099 for a variant set.  Maybe people are beginning to wake up.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1158 on: January 01, 2011, 03:48:09 PM »
Maybe people are beginning to wake up.

One can only hope.  mesmrized

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #1159 on: January 02, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
At a print run of 850, what would you expect.  Smaller print runs create an air of scarcity.  Since I started following them just recently they've ranged anywhere from 400, to 600, to 850.  Those print runs are too high to sustain high asking prices long term

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1160 on: January 03, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »
Just got the regular True Grit in the mail today.  Looks awesome! The gold metallic inks on the regular version are sweet.  

Re:
I think the market is simmering down on all of these.  There's a pile of Stout's posters languishing, even at 1099 for a variant set.

I agree that the feeding frenzy seems to have worn off a little, and the regular version print run will come to Earth.  Given that, the variants are the ones to own.  $1099 for three is a lot more than I am willing to pay, but I think others will. I will try my luck with Tyler's lottery.  I think the Revenge Jedi will settle in the $400-600 range.  $200-300 for the other variants in the short term.  The Mondo series, and the posters and the artists brought a good deal of interest to the market from outside the print collecting community.  Tyler Stout is extremely popular.  Only time will tell, but I think in six months or a year people will be paying that much for those three variant prints. I guess only time will tell.  

Missed a few of the later ones. 
If anyone is willing to part with their copy of Ten Banthas, Linch Pin Droid or King's Lead Hat, hit me up by sending a PM.

Thanks

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1161 on: January 03, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »
I missed the Stout and the Moss due to the lovely sellout while in the last phase of checkout. Still drives me up a wall they cannot deduct from inventory as items are added to the cart instead of the tease and then fail at the end.

Hopefully can score a set directly from Tyler. When Moss put the sets he had up, they lasted all of about 2 seconds. I think long term the Moss may hold more value as the run is a lot lower and there is no alternate variants. I like Stouts better, but Moss has quite a following as well.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1162 on: January 03, 2011, 03:26:02 PM »
Been away for a while...thought I would throw out some random thoughts re: all this Mondo Madness that closed out 2010.

I feel that Olly Moss hit a grand slam with his SW set.  I think that he managed to do something that many artists have tried to accomplish and over the years have failed to do, and that is to bridge the gap from the niche SW market/fanbase to the mainstream with SW art and design aesthetics.  He has taken, in my opinion, timeless characters, themes, and imagery from the films and made them the most accessible they have ever been.  I have shown the pieces to several folks who either hate posters/prints, hate SW, or hate both and all have said something in the vein of "Wow, those are really neat! ( or for neat, insert: beautiful, creative, astonishing, fun, cool, etc...).

While SW has legions of fans around the world, it is still a difficult to design for to bring in new dollars to Skywalker Ranch because it is polarizing in its own essence of being a sci-fi/western movie.  I think there are some great designs over the years (Hilldbrant quad, wow), but Moss has created a whole new level of iconic imagery that anyone and everyone could find something to really appreciate, whether it be the colors, creative use of familiar SW shapes to work within a bigger shape/character, and so on.  A run of only 400?  Sheesh...they will only go up in value as a whole over time, IMO.  And you thought Moss' Evil Dead has gone crazy...SW is a whole new ball game.  Probably my favorite Mondo anything in some time.  

The Stout set is remarkable but not as brave as the Moss set.  With Tyler, you either love it or hate it.  Some folks don't get the fact that his kitchen sink approach is a love letter to that particular film he is designing for, but I can understand the busy factor keeping some folks at bay.  I can also understand someone owning his Blade Runner piece and pointing to it as their favorite printed imagery for their favorite movie.  I feel that some of the stuff he has done is ok, some more than ok, some incredible, and I really thought he outdid himself with his Let the Right One In piece he recently did (still my favorite work of his) because he let the piece breathe a bit while adding so many layers of intrinsic and extrinsic meaning behind the design...if you have seen the film you know what I mean, and you will or do LOVE how that pissed off cat's face is hidden in the tree (I didn't see it until I unrolled it in person),as much as you will or do love Eli's love letter to Oskar recreated with the same script design from the film as well.  

However, if there is a trio of movies that beg to have the tstout treatment, its these, the Original Trilogy, drawn by a man who clearly is still in love with the films he saw as a boy, not the special edition travesties that The Beard decided to punish the children of the 70s and 80s with.  Don't believe me?  Just one example:  Check out Sebastian Shaw with his helmet off front and center, in his own block, in the Jedi print...one of the most intentional statements in the entire series.  No Hayden Christensen 'round these parts, that's for damn sure.

I love the thoughtful element of each film's story unraveling as your eye moves clockwise, I love how you discover different characters hidden under random ships and armpits each time you pour over these.  See Ponda Baba and Garindan in the SW print, their inclusion alone makes me thrilled.  I love looking at these posters and thinking about the endless possibilities that trilogy offered in planets, ships, characters, weapons.  I love how these posters make me recollect my childhood memories built around all things Kenner toys from that line, and I love how these posters even exist to begin with.  tstout and SW is a match made in heaven.

On the site and hubub with everything...

I think some folks get it, they get what Mondo is doing, what they are about, what they aren't about, understand the concept of limited editions, supply vs. demand, and so on.  The folks who don't get it are instantly entertaining, their rationals and quick-fix theories for Mondo that they publish to whichever site they decide is mostly irrational and silly (looking especially at you, Facebook whiners), but mostly downright ignorant.  If they did about 5 minutes of research and reading, they would see how well Mondo has worked to get these prints to fans and collectors alike, and how well they have adjusted and improved the site and buying experience over the years, especially this year.  People in this country don't understand how they can't have something they want, plain and simple, so they all turn into little Veruca Salts.

It makes me smile a bit more to own these Golden Geese all those brats think they deserve.  Now if only we could send them down to the furnace where all the other bad eggs go...

Congrats on a great series and great year, Mondo/Justin/Mitch/Rob/whoever else.  Keep it goin'.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:56:38 PM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1163 on: January 03, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »
Thanks for the balance demonstrated in your post, Ben.  I think everyone probably finds it refreshing, even over my own rants about the technicalities of Mondo's drops.  In the end, I'm happy that they bring these cool posters to market.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1164 on: January 04, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »
Hi Holiday, I hope you didn't take my post as singling you out in the slightest, to be sure.

I actually thought your frustrations were an honest gut reaction about being frustrated re: missing out on posters, I am mostly thinking of the crazies on twitter and facebook using the nastiest phrases to describe Justin and Mondo...just ridiculous.

I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1165 on: January 04, 2011, 02:49:13 PM »
Ben, this is an extremely well put and thoughtful post, more than I ever imagine you were capable of.  

I have been extremely critical of Mondo in the past, had a little back and forth with Mitch about it, but after seeing Mel's collection above, I now understand I couldn't have been more wrong.  While I do not like some specific Star Wars pieces, I truly appreciate the collection as a whole and what Mondo was after.  There is a clear homogeneity about it, and a little for everyone's taste.  There is also a clear display of artistry and tendencies which I appreciate.  So, kudos to them, and I will try to think twice before I let myself run amok again.  

T
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:43:53 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1166 on: January 04, 2011, 03:41:07 PM »
Ben, this is an extremely well put and thoughtful post, more than I ever imagine you were capable of. 
Gee, thanks.  :)

I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1167 on: January 04, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »
Well, what can I say, you ARE a Celts fan after all.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1168 on: January 04, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
That I am.  At least I don't cover my team up with Natasha Kinski.

I was mistaken,

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1169 on: January 04, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
That I am.  At least I don't cover my team up with Natasha Kinski.

Damn, all this time I thought that was Siegfried Fischbacher.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1170 on: January 04, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »
Schan, you're an idiot!
Ben, have you seen my team lately?  If I could cover it with a smear of my shit, I would.  And it's not because I don't love them, it's because I'm a fan and they're wasting my time.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1171 on: January 04, 2011, 07:49:59 PM »
All the Alamo Star Wars posters in large size/slideshow here (assembled by Visual Light Box - a great free program):

http://moviepostercollectors.com/Alamo-Star-Wars/index.html

Click on any to expand, click arrow on image for slide show.

Zip file (20mb) of all uncompressed/unwatermarked images here for your own files/website/whatev.  (Should begin downloading automatically to your computer.)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1172 on: January 04, 2011, 09:05:13 PM »
Nice display.  I have 17 of those.  I wonder if anyone collected them all and what it would go for on Ebay.
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1173 on: January 05, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »

He really is an ass, T that is, not you Ben.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Karza

« Reply #1174 on: January 07, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »
So looking back at 2010 how much do you think you spent on Mondo Prints?
I jumped in on these in late October, (I know pretty late in the game) but I still spent around $1,300
I was wondering How much you guys that were at it all year spent since Mondo had a record year for drops.