Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539120 times)

guest8

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #1100 on: December 22, 2010, 02:27:40 PM »
Thats a key difference between prints like Alamo's and traditional movie posters .. titanic posters .. How many are there ?? No one has any idea .. And if someone has an idea they have no way of knowing how many still exist .. But I feel we could safely guess that there are thousands if not 10's of thousands .. Now the latest Alamo posters Moss' SW set .. theres only 400 .. and thats all .. Supply vs. Demand .. ;)

Now another issue we can safely guess that most of the Alamo prints will survive seeing how they went straight to collectors and those collectors will most likely not sell for less than they paid .. Which somewhat forces the market value to hover around the $500 mark because after things settle and thanks to Moss selling his at this price this will be the generally accepted "value"..

On the other side of the spectrum .. dealers selling the Titanic posters kept selling as many of the posters as they could get their hands on trying to cash in as quick as possible so the inflated market value was quickly deflated due to the massive influx of posters .. and y by the time a buyer realizes they over paid and list their poster for sale to try and at least break even theres 100 others doing the same .. and instead of trying to break even they are under cutting one another trying to not lose too much money on the whole deal .. So they go from 300 to 280 .. to 250 .. and so on .. Until the bottom finally falls out from under the sellers and they are stuck with their amazing Titanic posters ;)

Karza

« Reply #1101 on: December 22, 2010, 02:55:45 PM »
such a roller coaster. I just saw a Moss set go for $1025 on ebay. I excited about having a set but at those prices I have to admit I'm tempted.....

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1102 on: December 23, 2010, 12:06:33 AM »
and lots o bullshit running around too.  The 400 sets sold by Mondo are "hand numbered" implying that they are not signed by Moss.  Moss's set of 50 are artists proof - they are an additional 50 over and above the 400 sold.  They are numbered 1 through 50, but they are NOT the 1 to 50 of the sets of 400 sold by Mondo, becuase they are 1 through 50 artist's proofs.  I've always understood the artist proof to be the extra that's printed without limitation.  Frankly, for all we know. Moss could have another 50 stashed away.

On ebay, the idiots are selling the 400 as hand signed and numbered, which is not true.  They are selling the Moss artists proofs as the original 1 through 50 of the ones that Mondo sold, which they are not.  What I just don't get is aside from all of this, why are people going crazy over these posters unlike any others thus far?  I like them, but they are not intrinsically worth the kind of money they are reaching, at least that's what I believe.  Why such speculation on these and not others?

At $500 a set, the 50 that Moss put up sold out in about two minutes.  All of this has reminded me, in a good way, that poster and print speculation is ridiculous.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1103 on: December 23, 2010, 07:39:50 AM »
Well, I definitely dont like Moss enough to go through the shit it took to get three art prints.  He just doesnt impress me all that much, though these are better in comparison than his previous work. 

Horkey's True grit, on the other hand is a different story.  Have a variant on the way.  Anyone else get one of these?
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1104 on: December 23, 2010, 10:10:06 AM »
Yes, one of each.  It's a nice work, and I'm happy to see it a bit larger than some of the others in this format, at 15x39.  With the metallic ink and all, it's sure to be a wonderful work in person.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #1105 on: December 23, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »
According to Mondotees blog, they had all kinds of problems getting the word of the TRUE GRIT drop on Tweeter, and of course no email notifications went out.  Bet more than a few people are pissed that they never received notification

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1106 on: December 23, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »
Which somewhat forces the market value to hover around the $500 mark because after things settle and thanks to Moss selling his at this price this will be the generally accepted "value"..

This effect is temporary.

Well, I definitely dont like Moss enough to go through the shit it took to get three art prints.  He just doesnt impress me all that much, though these are better in comparison than his previous work. 

Horkey's True grit, on the other hand is a different story.  Have a variant on the way.  Anyone else get one of these?
I agree.  I did find his implied reasoning for a pink C3PO funny... I always thought he was just British...

As for True Grit, I was up late the night before watching the film (good, but not Coen Brothers good - it's the Coen Brothers movie for those that do not like Coen Brothers movies) so I missed the usual drop time, which was OK since I was on the fence anyway.

I would like to know how well the variant compliments the Dead Man print.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1107 on: December 23, 2010, 03:23:59 PM »
The 400 sets sold by Mondo are "hand numbered" implying that they are not signed by Moss.  Moss's set of 50 are artists proof - they are an additional 50 over and above the 400 sold.  They are numbered 1 through 50, but they are NOT the 1 to 50 of the sets of 400 sold by Mondo, becuase they are 1 through 50 artist's proofs.  I've always understood the artist proof to be the extra that's printed without limitation.  Frankly, for all we know. Moss could have another 50 stashed away.
Holiday, this notion was corrected by Olly.  His 50 (of which he only actually sold 30) is out of the initial run of 400.
I think he might have mentioned the AP aspect before he corrected himself, I was under the same impression as you initially.

That means that Mondo probably only sold about 300, maybe less, after you consider them stocking for potential damage replacements and freebees to Lucas, his growing neck, and the Lucasfilm Oompa Loompas he has living in Skywalker Ranch (who knows what portion of these beings exists in reality vs. how many were created on a green screen).
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #1108 on: December 27, 2010, 02:18:13 PM »
Im disappointed after the Olly Moss posters .. :(

Rebelscum.com and TheForce.net bring you an exclusive first look at the second to last Star Wars Mondo Poster by artist Rob Jones. We are thrilled to debut this piece to Star Wars fans and collectors worldwide. This has been an amazing series and we have really enjoyed following along as each piece has been announced.

TITLE: King's Lead Hat
ARTIST: Rob Jones
EDITION: 255
SIZE: 24"x 36"
PRICE: $50

"There's a scene in Star Wars where Grand Moff Tarkin strides into his council room on the Death Star announcing the dissolution of the Imperial Senate. His officers express concern over the Emperor's ability to maintain control of star systems without this governing body. To this Tarkin retorts, 'Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.'

This exchange made me consider the motivation behind the Emperor's construction of Darth Vader. I'm not referring to just the cybernetic bits maintaining Vader's body but also the active manipulation of his mind to bring him to the dark side. The Emperor created in Vader a weapon no different from the Death Star in its ultimate purpose, a means of generating fear amongst the vast populace he ruled. An administrative tool that became the executor of the Emperor's cruel commands. With that in mind, I decided to depict Vader as a facility harnessing and directing his immense natural power towards malicious ends." - artist, Rob Jones

Be sure to follow @MondoNews for the "on sale" announcement which will be sometime in the afternoon on Tuesday, December 28th.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1109 on: December 27, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »
Yep....def Tarkins motivation...either that or it looks a bit like The Chaos Engine,

Stew

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #1110 on: December 27, 2010, 02:52:59 PM »
Here's a second chance to get the Horkey TRUE GRIT prints if you missed out

Karza

« Reply #1111 on: December 27, 2010, 03:47:21 PM »
the new star wars poster is a let down, I was expecting every release from now on to pack a punch, but this is just weird.
who knew vader had cowboys running the show.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1112 on: December 29, 2010, 02:34:48 PM »
the new star wars poster is a let down, I was expecting every release from now on to pack a punch, but this is just weird.
who knew vader had cowboys running the show.

And now there's Tyler Stout's SW posters - the final batch in the series. I have to say that the regular version of Return of the Jedi is fantastic.  850 regular, 275 variants in the drop.  If this doesn't melt down Mondo's site, then nothing will.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1113 on: December 29, 2010, 04:07:03 PM »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1114 on: December 29, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »
Now, that's some purty paper...very busy but very cool...  thumbup

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1115 on: December 29, 2010, 06:23:47 PM »
So how does one actually go about buying these things?  You don't know when they are going to go on sale... so you just refresh for like 24 hours straight or what? 

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #1116 on: December 29, 2010, 06:54:09 PM »
Create a Twitter account and follow Mondotees.  They'll announce the day the poster(s) will drop and send a message via Twitter when they go up for sale.  Obviously you should create an account with Mondotees beforehand and be logged into your account the day of the drop. 

Karza

« Reply #1117 on: December 31, 2010, 11:34:46 AM »
EB is slowing down my connection anyone else here awaiting the drop?

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1118 on: December 31, 2010, 11:49:57 AM »
Yes, and done.  Though another glitch occurred when they started listing the variants one by one instead of putting up the set to purchase first, or, imagine this, putting up all of them, sets and individuals, at the same time.

In any event, I picked up a set of the regular release, and I'm happy with that.  I prefer this set to the variant, and I have to admit the only reason I really was interested in the variant set was for the anticipated increase in value, which is just not a good reason to buy a poster.

Hope everyone was able to get one if they wanted.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1119 on: December 31, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »
Well, this was my first Mondo Melee experience.... its fucking nerve wracking!  That said, I got a set of the regulars and the Star Wars variant.  Frankly, as long as you were around when they dropped I can't imagine not scoring a set... they were printed in an edition of 850!  Even the variant was 275.

One nice touch about the Return of the Jedi variant (which I didn't get)... it has the "Revenge of the Jedi" title. 

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1120 on: December 31, 2010, 11:55:49 AM »
I was on the site literally when it dropped.  Because of my slow connection here, i got nothing.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1121 on: December 31, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
God that sucks!  That's what happened when Moss's set dropped.  I feel your pain!

I try to be nice to the Mondo fellows, but I have to say WHAT THE FUCK!  There was NO link to a set of the variants.  Only links to individual posters.  All individual posters showed up as sold out within 30 seconds or so.  After all is supposedly sold out, I get a tweet from Mondo that "Still got a few variant sets left."

I mean, really?  Mondo has been doing this for years.  How do these kind of mistakes keep getting made?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1122 on: December 31, 2010, 11:59:36 AM »
I was on the site literally when it dropped.  Because of my slow connection here, i got nothing.

And I don't know if it has anything to do with a slow connection, as opposed to Mondo's inability to handle peak traffic at drop time.  I literally count the seconds as I wait for the cart screen to appear so I can check out.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1123 on: December 31, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »
Just gets better and better.  Mondo sends out this tweet:  We're going to figure out if we have any leftover after we ship all of the orders.  If so, any extras will be for sale in the store.

Talk about hitting the refresh button for the next week!

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1124 on: December 31, 2010, 12:04:17 PM »
sure it does........everyone with a speedy connection is on a level playing field, at the mercy of mondos servers. I am at the mercy of mondos servers AND my connection - close to dial up speed - so mine loads proportionally slower.  By the time I even got a set of the regulars loaded and to checkout, they were gone.
Schan
My Poster Gallery