Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1538075 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #3650 on: June 07, 2014, 08:57:11 PM »
A pretty cool one from Mondo, for Fargo on FX.  It will be available June 17.

Tonight at the ATX Festival in Austin, TX, they're showing a new episode of Fargo, which the above poster was made for, and they're showing the pilot for a new series The Strain.  The Strain debuts July 19, and two Mondo prints for it will be available on July 11.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/06/07/fx-mondo-team-for-fargo-the-strain-posters/

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:18:43 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3651 on: June 08, 2014, 05:45:42 AM »
Not bad, but there has been a lot of good imagery from the show.  The show itself is aces.  Not too sure about The Strain.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3652 on: June 10, 2014, 01:29:58 AM »
Not bad, but there has been a lot of good imagery from the show.  The show itself is aces.  Not too sure about The Strain.

Yeah, it's a great show, and like you said, a lot of cool imagery in it.  

The print kinda has an original theater art vibe, which is cool, with the credits and FX logo.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:27:17 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3653 on: June 11, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
I kinda like the McCarthy, so I got it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3654 on: June 11, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »
No LPs?
Witty signature goes here.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3655 on: June 11, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
No LPs?

Um, no.  I don't get LPs.  What are people doing with them anyway?  I get old collectors getting rare records, but new ones, it doesn't make sense to me.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3656 on: June 11, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »
It's 'retro'. :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3657 on: June 11, 2014, 12:40:35 PM »
Are the same folks also collecting them more for just the new cover art? I would think that most sold are never even played once (considering how many may not even have a turntable these days).

These 2 for Jurassic Park are are just OK, imo.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:09:36 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3658 on: June 11, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »
I'll admit I bought the LPs for Drive and Oblivion. I like the soundtracks, I like the art, I don't own a player. They are both in frames, just not on the wall yet.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3659 on: June 11, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
I actually like the Richard, but as a print, which is why I got these 2.  As a record, sorry Mike, still don't get it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3660 on: June 11, 2014, 01:11:49 PM »
T, Now I like the full image on the poster with the included credits.

And its the little things, like that shooting star on the full image, that do it for me. Too bad that detail was cropped out of the LP cover art.

I see they kissed the T-Rex goodbye, too, on the record jacket  :-\
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:13:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3661 on: June 11, 2014, 01:20:45 PM »
T, Now I like the full image on the poster with the included credits.

And its the little things, like that shooting star on the full image, that do it for me. Too bad that detail was cropped out of the LP cover art.

I see they kissed the T-Rex goodbye, too, on the record jacket  :-\

Totally agree with this. The full-size prints are very nice.

I mostly bought the LPs as a collectible, nothing more. I only have the 2 and can't imagine getting (m)any more. I guess I was going through a phase... :)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3662 on: June 11, 2014, 10:55:48 PM »
I have and play records.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3663 on: June 12, 2014, 05:42:28 AM »
I have and play records.

Me too! For a few reasons...but mainly because of the way they sound.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3664 on: June 17, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »
I thought it was a man in the trunk of the car.  The guy who freezes to death at the beginning of the show.

I like the design, I was about to buy it when I realized it's a deer.  I don't want dead animals on my prints, so I passed.

The other one, the Grand Hotel, I don't get it.  It's so messy.  

T
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:01:15 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3665 on: June 17, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »
By the way, is it me or is it taking forever for Mondo to sell out these days?
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3666 on: June 17, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »
They just have increased their output. Doesn't change the huge demand or secondary market mark up when a true gem shows up now and again, but this is good for folks who wanted more artists and titles.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3667 on: June 17, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »
They just have increased their output. Doesn't change the huge demand or secondary market mark up when a true gem shows up now and again, but this is good for folks who wanted more artists and titles.

I am not sure it's good for the value of the posters I already own.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3668 on: June 17, 2014, 11:00:22 PM »
Why?

I was mistaken,

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3669 on: June 18, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »
I think they are diluting the quality and the Mondo brand with all the prints released.  A lot of their current demand is fickle with people who buy the prints, not because they like the art or the movie, but because of the perceived value or flippability.

If things stay on the current trend, I think this group of buyers will stop buying. When those people leave the market, the demand for Mondo prints will go down, which will drive secondary market prices down in general. The phrase, a rising tide lifts all boats also applies conversely.

People hate flippers, but flippers drive the prices up and put liquidity in the marketplace for these prints.  It's a symbiotic relationship.  If flippers perceive that Mondo prints are not worth buying at drop, because they get stuck with crappy leftover prints that nobody wants, then they will move their money to the next fad.  

I don't think my Olly Moss Evil Dead will suddenly be worth nothing, but maybe some of my other Olly Moss prints that aren't as cool will go down in value.  Not every print is always going to be a home run by Mondo, but I don't think there are any artists in their stable anymore where everything they touch turns to gold.  Taylor, Durieux, Stout, Ansin, Moss, Horkey have all had some cool recent prints, but they have also had some duds.  

It seems like the market for a lot of these newer prints is very, very soft with a few notable exceptions from the Disney and Durieux show. Over the years, I have acquired a fair number of Mondo prints. I don't collect these posters because I think they will necessarily be an investment, but I would be lying out my ass if I said the the perceived value of the prints is not important to me. i'd I really like for my collection to hold value or appreciate over the long run. I am concerned.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:50:28 PM by jpicken »

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #3670 on: June 18, 2014, 02:53:03 PM »
I meant new 'good' artists...worth talking about.  Not floating head Hollywood crap....

Hey Mitch, I am not trying to knock Mondo.  You guys have done a great job..  You've simply established Austin as the screen print Mecca...  However, I think it would be prudent for you guys to figure out how to take it to the next level... Because eventually others will catch you....  Maybe some different sizes or have some of the artist dabble in foreign languages.  You guys never do any 'girl' posters good lord show some skin or beauties from the 50s/60s...  That last Ansin print was amazing for its simplicity...   I think we may be getting caught up in the latest crap...  And what the heck is up with that rocky poster... Did that guy even watch the movie?  Eye of the tiger, eye of the tiger; not an 'Alien'-like boxing glove through the mouth of the tiger... WTF?

Look at this as a challenge...  Now, I am no die-hard Mondonian I sold off my Franky for love of Natalie Portman and African Queen  - I hate drops because even though I am in Houston - I never get to the checkout. Plus lately I would rather buy originals...

You need to get one of your guys to do a print of Natalie in the strip club from Closer with her blue hair...  That would sell out; I might even have to pick that one up from a flipper.  I think your guys just need some ideas to stay fresh.

You should start a poster idea thread or something...

Not even sure what to say here. Perhaps you should start your own poster company if not producing something like this equals losing our edge.

You never seem to know what to say.  How but "thanks", "that's an ass of an idea", or "go fuck yourself"...  And why when people get defensive, do they always want you to go start your own thing...  Man, I've heard that a lot.  Just another example of Mondonian elitism...  I was just throwing out something a potential customer wouldn't mind seeing.  And yes, since you were a hawkeye business hack, even you should know every customer is important. I mean that is why they pulled you away from the motherland right?  To make Mondo cool to potential customer? So if people are not thinking stuff is cool, then yes Mondo is losing...

I mean what?; are all Mondo artists a bunch of who only like drawing male superheros... I've yet to see some T&A out of Mondo's shop...  So is a scantily clad Natalie Portman such a bad idea?

There is still one last thing they could do...

Just call me:

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3671 on: June 19, 2014, 05:38:07 PM »
I think they are diluting the quality and the Mondo brand with all the prints released.  A lot of their current demand is fickle with people who buy the prints, not because they like the art or the movie, but because of the perceived value or flippability.

If things stay on the current trend, I think this group of buyers will stop buying. When those people leave the market, the demand for Mondo prints will go down, which will drive secondary market prices down in general. The phrase, a rising tide lifts all boats also applies conversely.

People hate flippers, but flippers drive the prices up and put liquidity in the marketplace for these prints.  It's a symbiotic relationship.  If flippers perceive that Mondo prints are not worth buying at drop, because they get stuck with crappy leftover prints that nobody wants, then they will move their money to the next fad.  

I don't think my Olly Moss Evil Dead will suddenly be worth nothing, but maybe some of my other Olly Moss prints that aren't as cool will go down in value.  Not every print is always going to be a home run by Mondo, but I don't think there are any artists in their stable anymore where everything they touch turns to gold.  Taylor, Durieux, Stout, Ansin, Moss, Horkey have all had some cool recent prints, but they have also had some duds.  

It seems like the market for a lot of these newer prints is very, very soft with a few notable exceptions from the Disney and Durieux show. Over the years, I have acquired a fair number of Mondo prints. I don't collect these posters because I think they will necessarily be an investment, but I would be lying out my ass if I said the the perceived value of the prints is not important to me. i'd I really like for my collection to hold value or appreciate over the long run. I am concerned.

Really appreciate the thoughtful response here. Good stuff.

A few points:

Good art/prints will always be in demand. Mondo still has a few gems each year that will be sought after, post drop via trades and sales on the secondary market. This has always been the case, and probably will never change. With more prints each year, you just have to be a bit more picky on what will increase in value if you are only going for a quick buck as a flipper or want to use a given print to trade up, etc.

EB and the Facebook crowd do not always predict the 'hits'. I remember when the Durieux Jaws was released, and everyone seemed to hate it...now they have come full circle with that print...kinda funny in a way.

The artist stable is just different now, for better or for worse. Olly is busy doing games now, Ansin seems to have adopted a style that while the quality is not questioned...the clean line effect is long gone in favor of gradients after gradients, Taylor has been overdoing is own work as of late for some reason (NCFOM was a nice departure from his recent convoluted approach), and Stout is busy with his family and probably stocking up their booth at the local farmer's market...so good for him.

All it takes is something like a Stout Indy set, an Olly 007 series, etc etc...and then all the hype returns.
The LD show in Feb was some of the best art they have released...still cannot get over the quality of his Hitch stuff.

Ultimately, the older stuff with the lower runs will ALWAYS be in demand by old collectors and people who just happen across a given image on pinterest or something. Speaking mostly to stuff like older Stouts, Ansin Monsters, Moss SW, Slater Goldfinger, etc etc...

I was mistaken,

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3672 on: July 02, 2014, 04:20:42 PM »
The Goonies. Thoughts?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3673 on: July 03, 2014, 03:13:19 AM »
I'll probably get them if I'm in front of a computer around 6pm in Paris, but I won't miss them if I don't.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3674 on: July 03, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »
Something about it looks too cartoon-ish for me.