Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539318 times)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #3475 on: March 13, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »
I bought the Field of Dreams online at the same time I bought prints for the Searchers and Clerks.  It was different back then because the prints would be on the Mondo website for days/weeks before selling out. I don't know how many made it online, but it was a low print run for Field of Dreams(165).  It's a very cool poster.

It really started to change with Inglourious Basterds and in 2010 with the Star Wars releases when things would sell out quickly. At least that is my first recollection of having trouble getting prints.  Still have never had any luck w. the Olly Star Wars set, but for what they are going for, I can think of a lot of things I would rather do with the ca$h.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3476 on: March 13, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »
I agree.  I have accumulated a lot of extras over the years.  I own 4 Rhys Cooper Gremlins, 3 Struzan Frankenstein, and others that I hope to trade one day for 1 of the 7 pieces I am still missing in my collection.  Not that I am actively pursuing them, but if the occasion arises, and since I refuse to pay the crazy prices you just mentioned, I shall trade.  Only trade, though.  Someone just offered me $600 for one of the Gremlins and I passed.

T
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:34:03 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3477 on: March 13, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
I still dont like that jaws. I like the price it sells for since I got one, that is about it.

Unfortunately a lot of my misses are more money than I am willing to spend on a print. I still wouldnt mind the bottom falling out on the prices on everything just so I can complete the ones I wanted.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3478 on: March 13, 2014, 06:30:22 PM »
I bought the Field of Dreams online at the same time I bought prints for the Searchers and Clerks.  It was different back then because the prints would be on the Mondo website for days/weeks before selling out. I don't know how many made it online, but it was a low print run for Field of Dreams(165).  It's a very cool poster.

It really started to change with Inglourious Basterds and in 2010 with the Star Wars releases when things would sell out quickly. At least that is my first recollection of having trouble getting prints.  Still have never had any luck w. the Olly Star Wars set, but for what they are going for, I can think of a lot of things I would rather do with the ca$h.

You're slightly miss remembering the early days.  Some prints stayed online for days/months (although most of the months stuff were the really crap prints or for quasi movie events). 

For others, it was just the overflow from the shows - you, and I, bought our Field of Dreams when they got back from the Roadshow and put all of the leftovers from all of the shows on sale.  The early Rolling Roadshow were handled a bit differently from when the did their first 'Sci-Fi' series, The Thing, Blade Runner, Planet of the Apes and such, which were essentially open editions (for the regular versions of the prints) until they gradually raised the prices on each print.

In the history of Mondo, Ferris was the one that brought it to the attention of the movie poster folks.  But it wasn't until the Goldfinger first sold at a Christies auction for crazy big bucks that the print folks (with a few exceptions) started paying ANY attention and brought with them the gold rush attitude that has permeated the experience ever since.

You're right that IB was the first time that print buyers started flooding the system and you could just watch the stock disappear by the minute.  Although there had been a couple of smaller releases the blew through their runs quickly (Dark Side of Oz and such) before that.

They had server issues before the Olly Star Wars drop (Horkey's Dead Man), but the OSW drop was then one everyone remembers with good reason...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3479 on: March 13, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »
Nice recap.

I forgot about all this.  Strangely enough, Carson is the one who got me into prints.  I didn't like them at first.  I remember asking Jeannie to buy me both versions of Blade Runner, but then she decided to keep the variant (bitch!).  I liked Tyler's style and went after The Thing.  I bought the 2 versions from Ves in 2009... $55 and $80.  Then I got Ferris, The Shining and a bunch of older ones.  I kept going.  I had 4 Phantoms at some point, but I traded two.  I don't think we'll ever see this type of price increase again.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3480 on: March 13, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
The whole process has become a big joke, hobos paid to line up days in advance, artificially low print runs, Mondo fan boys collectively hitting F5 billions of time.  Four Flash Gordons are for sale a day in advance:

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #3481 on: March 14, 2014, 06:55:12 AM »
Screw MONDO. to hard to get anything so why waste the time trying.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3482 on: March 14, 2014, 07:47:47 AM »
Screw MONDO. to hard to get anything so why waste the time trying.

Exactly. Someone please delete this thread

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3483 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »
At least move it. :)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3484 on: March 14, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #3485 on: March 14, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »
Crazy Town.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3486 on: March 14, 2014, 08:19:20 PM »
Hmmm, most of them are pretty good, wish there were more but that said....

Tong's Dr. Caligari wins IMO:

Ansin's 1937 Flash Gordon in second:

Tong's Upstream Color 3rd

The rest are Mondo fanboy fare....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:22:15 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3487 on: March 14, 2014, 08:37:45 PM »
I got excited at first, and now I'm not.  Three sales in a row is a little much, I think.  I'm glad that I got time to think about this, though, instead of rushing into it. 

Durieux was great (got Birds, Rear Window and BttF 2), Disney was great (got JB, B&B, Alice & SW), Ansin/Tong is just meh. 

I used to love Ansin's work, but his creativity has gone down a lot lately.  Tong, I don't like, so it's an easy pass.  I might get Ansin's Alien if I find it at a good price (just for the title), but no Flash Gordon (it looks unfinished) and no Prometheus.

Is there another one next week?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3488 on: March 14, 2014, 08:55:26 PM »
I think Alien and Prometheus go well together. Big runs, so they'll make it online I reckon.

I like this the best I think. Cool lighting and colours, Murphy spinning his gun in spirit, a classic Robo pose...cool poster:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:07:51 PM by Tob »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3489 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:03 PM »
There's been a lot of nice art out of Mondo recently.
Congrats to you who've scored on this latest round.
 cheers

guest8

« Reply #3490 on: March 15, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
So .. what do you think Mel .. was this show the goldmine that you were expecting?? :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3491 on: March 15, 2014, 11:39:05 AM »
So .. what do you think Mel .. was this show the goldmine that you were expecting?? :)

Ummm, I have to admit I was, er, excessively optimistic about it. No home runs (Moss JB, Durieux Birds) in this round....

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3492 on: March 15, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
I was not blown away by anything, but these are my favorites from the show.
Psycho

Scott Pilgrim
Love the movie. I think I am in lesbians with this print.

I think some of the prints for this show will make it online which is cool. 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3493 on: March 15, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
Snow White is available for $95 from the artist (Anne Benjamin):

http://annebenjamin.bigcartel.com/product/snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3494 on: March 15, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »
It's amazing how many they print each year.And how many suck.Really,the percentage of decent posters is a little better, but only cuz they do so many titles.
I will say,alot of the material for new movies is often better than the actual movie poster.That definitely helps them.

Anthony

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3495 on: March 15, 2014, 10:03:05 PM »
Alright, alright, alright, picked up the Caligari variant for $100, including shipping.  I doubt it will ever skyrocket but I like it:

I'd forgotten I already have the S2 Flash Gordon, so I'll skip Ansin's:

guest8

« Reply #3496 on: March 16, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »
Ummm, I have to admit I was, er, excessively optimistic about it. No home runs (Moss JB, Durieux Birds) in this round....

I think part of the issue is the re-hashing of movies that already have prints available. JD's show was all pretty much all titles that no one has worked with and his style lends itself perfectly to those movies. Disney was different and I expect the prices on those prints to slowly work their up. Now this show, I mean seriously .. I like Alien(s) and all and I just recently bought a print from the HCG show .. but how many times are artists going to keep dipping into that well!!?? Then Ansin goes into some obscure movies and no matter how great he is/was the artist alone does not make it a great print. Like so many other off the wall/obscure titles he's done in the past I expect most if not all of these will be available at or below cost.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3497 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »
All true, Dave.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3498 on: March 16, 2014, 04:24:33 PM »
Snow White is available for $95 from the artist (Anne Benjamin):

http://annebenjamin.bigcartel.com/product/snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs

So wait a minute. How does this affect the 'official' print run, if at all? The site states "Signed Artist Copy (not numbered)", so we've got that, but I thought prints from the Mondo runs were limited to whatever was printed and that was it? Do you think these 'unofficial' copies will devalue the Mondo prints, or make them more sought after? Also, how easy/difficult would it be to authenticate an official vs unofficial print? Sounds like all I'd need to do is purchase one from the artist's site, use a pencil in the corner faking 1/320 (or whatever the run was) and there ya go - Mondo version print ready for sale.

To be clear: 1) I already have this print (for less than the $95 - yay me), 2) I wouldn't fake anything ever (just asking the question) and 3) I wouldn't sell anyways.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3499 on: March 16, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
With regards to Mondo, as I understand, there's the Mondo numbered run, then artists usually get a few copies to sell themselves (as part of payment for the work sometimes). Some number them as a separate run (e.g. 'AP xx/40'), some just use 'AP' with no numbering. It's more transparent to number IMO, that way it's clear how many APs there are.

People may deem APs more valuable if they're signed by the artist (where the regular run wasn't) or have a lower run (even though I find that daft because they're the same print). Sometimes they're re-marqued by the artist too.