Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539236 times)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #3450 on: March 11, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
I think the cart system that they started using last year sucks balls.

Since it was implemented, I haven't scored any print I was trying for.
I was at work today. So I couldn't even try, but it sounds like it was a waste of time anyway.

I think it was a combination of server meltdown and extremely limited quantity.
I'm usually able to score the prints I want (eg, BttF), but yeah, today was just frustrating.
Witty signature goes here.

Charlie

« Reply #3451 on: March 11, 2014, 09:57:26 PM »
Why aren't you in the Ansin show line now?  That show is gonna be a gold mine....

Because I don't care?

guest8

« Reply #3452 on: March 12, 2014, 07:54:48 AM »
Why aren't you in the Ansin show line now?  That show is gonna be a gold mine....
Hype much!? :P I think you are forgetting that there is this magical balance between the artist, their design and the properties that they choose. Sure both of those guys do some good work, but not EVERYTHING that they create is "gold". Look at Ansin .. in the last 2 years what prints has he had that really shot up in value? 1 or 2? All I can think of is Taxi driver. Before that .. maybe the Universal Monsters? Tong also does some great work .. but show me some of his prints that have held a value more than $100 .. off the top of my head I can think of 1, the Iron Giant from MMM:LA 2011?

They are both very talented and "value" is truly in the eye of the beholder, I over paid for Tongs Iron Man variant, not because I thought it was going to be valuable but because I really wanted it. So I am ok with what I paid for it, but you cannot say just from the artists names if a show will be a "gold mine".

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3453 on: March 12, 2014, 10:58:27 AM »
You people are bonkers. The success of this show has long been predicted:

http://www.nostradamus.org/qbrowser2.php

guest8

« Reply #3454 on: March 12, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »
haha .. People thought that about the Stout show as well, how many pieces are worth anything (monetarily speaking) from that show?

Charlie

« Reply #3456 on: March 12, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »
First previews ..
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/12/5497728/mondo-and-the-lost-art-of-the-movie-poster

The Psycho is nice - pulls you into to remembering the scene.  The rest are junk.

Charlie

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3457 on: March 12, 2014, 12:12:50 PM »
Junk? A bit harsh! I think that Flash Gordon diptych is great fun. And although I don't like the film, Prometheus is good too. Need to see a bigger photo of Alien.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3458 on: March 12, 2014, 12:18:19 PM »
From what I see there, I will get Alien, Aliens, Prometheus and Flash Gordon. 

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3459 on: March 12, 2014, 12:31:04 PM »
Ok that first batch is nothing special BUT I still have faith!

Charlie

« Reply #3460 on: March 12, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »
Junk? A bit harsh! I think that Flash Gordon diptych is great fun. And although I don't like the film, Prometheus is good too. Need to see a bigger photo of Alien.

OK maybe it's time for a 'soap box' diatribe on prints...  

I you are just going to slap down an Alien without any creativity, what is the point.  It is supposed to be re-imagining the poster.  Not just another boring attempt.  I think one of the reason I don't really buy prints, is because most of them aren't that special or far exceeding the original poster.  I don't give two hoots about a specific artist, although some re-imagine better than others...  A too surprising large number of people can draw and paint, but the creativity is what causes separation.  

The Flash Gordon looks like the cover of a comic book - I am sure I could line up 20 artist that could vomit the same boring take.  I think a lot of you guys are just buying for buying but never really think about the separation.  If you are a completest then that is the ticket - just more money for the Mondos.

Take for example with the Jungle Book - that was a huge separation from anything that has been done on that title.  Leave out the goofy bear and it really takes on a whole other meaning. Who were you scared of most in the film as a kid, who had the most presence?  Great statement piece. Could anyone have drawn it?  Yep but only that guy (who I can't remember) thought it up and made an impact on us.  

I think at some point you have to ask yourself, when does this stop?  How many Alien prints does it take to create a commodity and at what point is a print beyond that.  Those are the prints I would like to buy.  

The Psycho is nice - someone get one for me.  

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3461 on: March 12, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »
Why is there no creativity in that Alien print? You can see that a lot of time and thought has gone into the composition – particularly the blend in the middle (the perspective of Kane and the Facehugger on the table, the door and Ash lurking in the background, the U-shaped Alien ship wrapping around and the eggs blended with the shape of the bottom of the Nostromo).  

And what’s wrong with the Flash Gordon poster looking like the cover of a comic book? He is a comic character! I think it nails the camp and fun feeling of the film/s.

When you talk about separation, do you mean that an alternative poster/print is only valid if it has some eureka moment (like the fin in the Durieux Jaws or most of Moss’ work) that sets it aside from the theatrical campaign? I like that too, but I also like good simple clean and balanced design.  

I agree that the print scene is a bit overloaded with screen grab traced Struzan-esque collages or Moss-esque negative space minimal designs, but I think Mondo generally do a very good job with their art direction and the scope of their licenses (they cover a lot of tastes).  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:09:07 PM by Tob »

Charlie

« Reply #3462 on: March 12, 2014, 01:56:58 PM »
Why is there no creativity in that Alien print? You can see that a lot of time and thought has gone into the composition – particularly the blend in the middle (the perspective of Kane and the Facehugger on the table, the door and Ash lurking in the background, the U-shaped Alien ship wrapping around and the eggs blended with the shape of the bottom of the Nostromo).  

And what’s wrong with the Flash Gordon poster looking like the cover of a comic book? He is a comic character! I think it nails the camp and fun feeling of the film/s.

When you talk about separation, do you mean that an alternative poster/print is only valid if it has some eureka moment (like the fin in the Durieux Jaws or most of Moss’ work) that sets it aside from the theatrical campaign? I like that too, but I also like good simple clean and balanced design.  

I agree that the print scene is a bit overloaded with screen grab traced Struzan-esque collages or Moss-esque negative space minimal designs, but I think Mondo generally do a very good job with their art direction and the scope of their licenses (they cover a lot of tastes).  

I suppose your right.  I just have a hard time getting caught up in the print pursuit.  I will say this now - "There will always be another print."  I just see them all running together... 

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3463 on: March 12, 2014, 02:53:03 PM »
And Mike, you can probably get SW for $80 on EBay.  So not that much more expensive.

Actually, I was able to snag one for even less than that. Also scored a Pooh.  woohoo

How's the saying go - "Don't overpay because you'll always find one cheaper"? Advice to live by, or at least to collect by. ;)
Witty signature goes here.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3464 on: March 12, 2014, 02:58:29 PM »
Psycho was the only interesting piece in the bunch, although I like the colors on the Oz's.  Those Alien's look terrible.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3465 on: March 12, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
I need to find a local, I am tired of the online battles, I need a buy em' all and here is a franklin for you troubles and be done.

Charlie

« Reply #3466 on: March 12, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
I need to find a local, I am tired of the online battles, I need a buy em' all and here is a franklin for you troubles and be done.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and poured it on to get the Moss Jungle Book.  Guess I have to wait to get that BTTF Advance on EMP another day.  I did exhaustive research and it is clearly the best poster out there on the film. I think I'll hang it up in my office.  I feel if I give the Sword and the Stone 6 or 8 months, I'll be able to pick that one up for much less than it is going for now.  The Jungle Book clearly will only go up from this point.

bed1  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:39:31 PM by Charlie »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3467 on: March 12, 2014, 08:14:08 PM »
Yep, I'd say Jungle Book is one of the best Mondos ever, not sure if it will ever get crazy like ESB however.  Here are my faves:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3468 on: March 12, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »
Pass for me.  If some Polish or Czech artists had done it in the 80s, I would have been all over these pieces.  There is something to say about an artist who hasn't seen the movies and tries to give a unique rendition of what those movies are supposed to be.  I would pretty much accept anything as long as it is visually pleasing.  But to do it years later and after everyone has seen these movies doesn't work for me.

This pretty much sums up my thought on Jaws - hitself

At least give me a fin in the water somewhere.

@ddilts399 What sayest thou now?

Charlie

« Reply #3469 on: March 12, 2014, 10:57:10 PM »
I agree...

Yep, I'd say Jungle Book is one of the best Mondos ever, not sure if it will ever get crazy like ESB however.  Here are my faves:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:58:30 PM by Charlie »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3470 on: March 13, 2014, 02:04:16 AM »
Of the 200+ Mondo prints I own, this is my probably top 10:

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3471 on: March 13, 2014, 05:50:48 AM »
The Thing (reg version though), Phantom, and Ferris would all make my top 10 as well.  Along with Kleinsmith's NxNW, The Shining (1st Alamo version), and Field of Dreams (still the best gimmick poster they've done).  I like the glow-in-the-dark Alien egg, but I don't know that I'd put it on the list. 

For the ones that I don't own... Horkey's There Will Be Blood, Ken Taylor's 20,000 Leagues, and The Iron Giant by Laurent Durieux are all pretty sensational. For consistent excellence, it is really hard to top Taylor.  Does he have a single bad print?

I really don't get all the uber love for that Jungle Book - it's just another average everyday Moss to me.  The songs are the only memorable part of the film, but that poster makes it look like a thriller.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3472 on: March 13, 2014, 10:20:54 AM »
While I agree with many of the suggestions(although I personally don't get the Jungle Book hype), I would add the following to the Best of Mondo discussion.

And while it is too new to be a classic, I have been waiting for this one for years. This is my favorite Mondo print from last year.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3473 on: March 13, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
Nice!  If I owned Evil Dead, it would have definitely made the cut.  Good for you.

The Thing: I only chose the variant after putting them next to each other.  There is something about it that makes it superior to the reg, IMO.
The "twins" Shining: I hesitated too.
Field of Dreams is part of the 7 Mondo prints I missed and need to get at some point (along with Evil Dead).
Horkey: Not a fan.  I own a few but his style is not my thing.
Taylor: Yeah, pretty fucking great.  I love that Terminator 2 and 20,000 Leagues.  Probably would have made the top 20.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3474 on: March 13, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
Most of the small run for Field of Dreams was sold at the very well attended event (3,000 people or so).  They sold very, very few online - easily less than 10 - which is why they so rarely pop up for sale.

For Horkey, I totally understand.  I love some of his work, but there are just as many that do nothing for me.  TWBB is the perfect connection between style and subject.  Dead Man is also quite interesting.