Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539142 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #3350 on: February 20, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »
I like that A Field in England poster, but I picked up the one sheet from the Drafthouse website for $7.99 so don't need a screen print - http://drafthousefilms.com/film/a-field-in-england

He gets a lot of hate, but Mondo are all about cult and I like some of the stuff he tackles and produces...even if I don't often buy it myself (I like to look and think about it, just not own it). I quite like the variety of cult releases mixed with blockbuster releases.

Thanks for link to one sheet! I have been looking for that.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3351 on: February 20, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »
Thanks for link to one sheet! I have been looking for that.

No problem! They also have a cheapy one sheet for a re-release of Ms 45 here in case it's of interest. Not as good as the original one sheet, but quite cool for the price

http://drafthousefilms.com/film/ms.-45

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3352 on: February 20, 2014, 12:59:08 PM »
No problem! They also have a cheapy one sheet for a re-release of Ms 45 here in case it's of interest. Not as good as the original one sheet, but quite cool for the price

http://drafthousefilms.com/film/ms.-45

Thanks cool poster but I generally avoid posters with violent imagery. Is there a webpage showing all the posters they sell?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3353 on: February 20, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »
On another topic I generally overpaid for the latest Durieux posters but I've made up for it on the Birds Pier:

http://expressobeans.com/members/detail.php/186347/history

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3354 on: February 20, 2014, 04:33:27 PM »
Yeah. That price is pretty insane. I like the poster, but don't understand the demand for it. With all the Hitchcock's, I had hoped he would do a NXNW, but I guess they don't have the licensing for that movie.

I remember the Mondo UM show and overpaying out of the gate to get some of those prints.  I am not suggesting that the the birds/pier is going to go down, but I am hoping some of the ones I like from this show will be reasonable in the future.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3355 on: February 20, 2014, 07:12:50 PM »
Thanks cool poster but I generally avoid posters with violent imagery. Is there a webpage showing all the posters they sell?

Not that I know of, but I emailed them about one of their posters and they replied quickly, so I'll drop them a line to ask.

I really like the Durieux Birds print...also love the Vertigo and Rear Window. You may feel you have overpaid in the short term, but who knows down the line. His work has a longevity to it that will last IMO.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3356 on: February 20, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »
Anyone here buy any of Jay Shaws stuff? I guess I just don't "get" his art style.

There is nothing to get except that he's terrible...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3357 on: February 20, 2014, 07:57:31 PM »
On another topic I generally overpaid for the latest Durieux posters but I've made up for it on the Birds Pier:

http://expressobeans.com/members/detail.php/186347/history

As much as I don't care about the price of movie posters, I'm quite fascinated by what people are willing to pay when it comes to prints.  Last year in June, as I was really bored one day, I wrote down the average price of all the prints I own (about 400 with the doubles and triples), added it all up and came up with quite a large $$$ number.  I will do the same this year to see if the general value of prints is escalating or crashing.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3358 on: February 24, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »
I like Durieux a lot, but he's overdoing it.
I think this latest batch (with the exception of BTTF) is kinda pedestrian.

The Forbidden Planet design is whacked.
Vertigo is boring.
The Birds was done better as Jaws.
Rear Window...meh...

I think Laurent runs the risk of redundancy by churning out elaborate cross-hatching on mediocre layouts.
Too much style over substance.

Like I said, I like him a lot.
But I am an art critic, so sue me.
 wynk

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3359 on: February 25, 2014, 08:12:55 PM »
Check out this interview with Durieux. He spent seven months straight on his prints for his solo show:

http://eviltender.com/2014/02/25/interview-the-timeless-art-of-laurent-durieux/

Bruce

« Reply #3360 on: February 25, 2014, 08:16:55 PM »
I was the co-distributor of the two Metropolis prints. I love this one, and I keep hoping someone who bought it will consign it back to me so I can auction it!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3361 on: February 25, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »
Yes, Laurent, we all wish we had foreseen this one:

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3362 on: February 25, 2014, 08:31:52 PM »
I was the co-distributor of the two Metropolis prints. I love this one, and I keep hoping someone who bought it will consign it back to me so I can auction it!

Yes, these Metropolis prints are beautiful.
Unfortunately, I don't believe anything in his current batch is in the same league.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3363 on: February 26, 2014, 12:01:09 AM »
Yes, these Metropolis prints are beautiful.
Unfortunately, I don't believe anything in his current batch is in the same league.

You cray.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3364 on: February 26, 2014, 12:16:01 AM »
I own a bunch of his work now (14 prints I believe) and of the ones I own, I would put Jaws and The Birds at the very top.  Everything else would be a big notch below.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #3365 on: February 26, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »
Personally I like the Back to the Future prints going on sale tomorrow. I beleive it is for part 1 & 2. For some reason I cannot get the pics to copy so I can post them here. But we have all seen part 2 but here is part one and 2. I love both prints. If I had time tomorrow I would try to snag both prints and I usually do not by prints that often anymore. But these two really grab my attention.
http://e2.ma/webview/xs5jf/d6e3bd8e32134e9d61dd147519ce9edc

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3366 on: February 26, 2014, 11:24:03 PM »
I might try to grab the reg of BTTF 2 (I already own the variant).  Depends on the weather.  Don't care for BTTF. 

T
My Personal Collection

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #3367 on: February 26, 2014, 11:35:32 PM »
I might try to grab the reg of BTTF 2 (I already own the variant).  Depends on the weather.  Don't care for BTTF. 

T
See and I like both of them. If I didn't have to work all day tomorrow from 9 am- 10 pm then I would try for both. But work prevents me from doing that. Oh well I guess.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3368 on: February 26, 2014, 11:49:03 PM »
See and I like both of them. If I didn't have to work all day tomorrow from 9 am- 10 pm then I would try for both. But work prevents me from doing that. Oh well I guess.

A 13 hr day? You'd better be getting that OT, Randy...

;)

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #3369 on: February 26, 2014, 11:56:53 PM »
A 13 hr day? You'd better be getting that OT, Randy...

;)

It has to be over 40 hours for the week here where I live which to me is ridiculous. Even though I am one of the few people in charge I still get my hours right at 40 and if I am almost ready to go into OT I have to go home. The owner and corporate do not like anyone going in OT. They actually get made at you for it unless they approve it which to me is just crazy considering you never know how busy it will get.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3370 on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
Server meltdown..

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3371 on: February 27, 2014, 11:44:46 AM »
woohoo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woohoo

I was only able to snag a BttF as the BttF2 listed as 'Sold Out' immediately (at least I never saw an add to cart).
So unless it sold out in under 20 secs, it was already sold out before the posting. Is that possible?
Witty signature goes here.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3372 on: February 27, 2014, 11:46:13 AM »
They were both there, I had page load foreveritus on check out and mass fail so got to pay twice as much.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3373 on: February 27, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »
Hah, awesome. If you pay twice as much do they send you twice as many? ;)

Were you able to secure both then?
Oddly the BttF2 page would sometimes show an 'Add to Cart' button and sometimes just say 'Sold Out'. Chalking that up to the meltdown.

Also, was there ever a BttF3 print?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:51:00 AM by pratschm »
Witty signature goes here.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3374 on: February 27, 2014, 11:58:42 AM »
No BttF3 yet, but I think he confirmed there will be down the line. I hope it has horses and a train.