Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1539144 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #3275 on: October 19, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
Actually, I do understand what they are. And the concept and design behind it.

It is up to others if they like them, to me they are like prints.  Not my cup of tea.

That is fine, but to drop by a thread about a part of this hobby that you don't like only to shit on it seems beneath you...that is more like Louie's thing.
Although, did you swing by any of the S2 convos and publicly decide you didn't like that stuff either?

Also, you mentioned prints re: the Mona Lisa, which stood out to me since prints like these from Mondo are original screenprints which are nothing like commercial repros, bootleg or licensed. Two totally different worlds.

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3276 on: October 19, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »
Actually, I do understand what they are. And the concept and design behind it.

It is up to others if they like them, to me they are like prints.  Not my cup of tea.

Yeah, stop drinking the "Haterade" Mirosae!  Or is it "Morose"-ae (ha-ha).

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:26:53 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3277 on: October 19, 2013, 11:33:18 AM »
Cheers to a fellow E.T. fan. I love that movie, it is in my top 5. I remember seeing it in the theater when it came out and it blew my mind. Such a beautiful, quality film. My wife and I were in Austin last year for the E.T. screening for the Summer of 1982 and saw it in an original 35mm print...it was gorgeous. Got both McCarthy versions, of course.

My oldest daughter is 4 and wants to dress up like Gertie for Halloween, with the overalls, pig tails, sunflowers in a pot, the whole works. She wants to put this huge ET doll I bought her in a wagon and pull him around the neighborhood. She claims I have to be Elliot, haha...we will see. I will post a pic.

That's a nice story, Ben.  One question though...  Does she want to dress like Gertie because she truly loves ET or because she wants to be closer to Daddy and love what he loves?

I was in Paris when ET came out...  December 1st, 1982.  I think I saw it 10 times in a row.  You know, when you're a kid, you can see the same movie over and over and over.  That's what I did.  Every other day.  I think I took everybody in my family, my brother, my sister, my uncle, the dog.  Then I met Spielberg who was staying at the Hotel de Crillon with Amy Irving.  I think I was stalking them.  I got both their signatures on a piece of paper.  Try to get that today.  He told me to go to USC.  I listened, stored it and never forgot it.  Years later I moved to America and went to USC.  Then I ended up working at DreamWorks where I met my wife.  And then at Amblin a few doors down from him.  And now I have this collection of posters.  All of it because of ET.

T
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:38:05 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3278 on: October 19, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
Ben,I may be mistaken but I don't think Rosa was commenting on the Alamo posters.
I thought Rosa's comment was regarding Banksy.

Stew

Mirosae

« Reply #3279 on: October 19, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »
That is fine, but to drop by a thread about a part of this hobby that you don't like only to shit on it seems beneath you...that is more like Louie's thing.
Although, did you swing by any of the S2 convos and publicly decide you didn't like that stuff either?

Also, you mentioned prints re: the Mona Lisa, which stood out to me since prints like these from Mondo are original screenprints which are nothing like commercial repros, bootleg or licensed. Two totally different worlds.

Excuse me? I don't know where do you get that idea from. I do not understand what is the issue here. And I am talking about those who buy prints because they like them. A print is a print.

I  think everyone knows the difference between a print and a poster.

And I am just voicing an opinion. If you have a problem with that then that's your problem.

Mirosae

« Reply #3280 on: October 19, 2013, 12:11:29 PM »
Yeah, stop drinking the "Haterade" Mirosae!  Or is it "Morose"-ae (ha-ha).

Get a life Mel.

Mirosae

« Reply #3281 on: October 19, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »
Ben,I may be mistaken but I don't think Rosa was commenting on the Alamo posters.

Stew

Exactly!!

Thanks Stew

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3282 on: October 19, 2013, 12:15:13 PM »
Exactly!!

Thanks Stew

Fan boys, Rosa..what can you do? .

Stew

Mirosae

« Reply #3283 on: October 19, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »

Stew

:)..never mind..

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3284 on: October 19, 2013, 12:38:24 PM »
That's a nice story, Ben.  One question though...  Does she want to dress like Gertie because she truly loves ET or because she wants to be closer to Daddy and love what he loves?

I was in Paris when ET came out...  December 1st, 1982.  I think I saw it 10 times in a row.  You know, when you're a kid, you can see the same movie over and over and over.  That's what I did.  Every other day.  I think I took everybody in my family, my brother, my sister, my uncle, the dog.  Then I met Spielberg who was staying at the Hotel de Crillon with Amy Irving.  I think I was stalking them.  I got both their signatures on a piece of paper.  Try to get that today.  He told me to go to USC.  I listened, stored it and never forgot it.  Years later I moved to America and went to USC.  Then I ended up working at DreamWorks where I met my wife.  And then at Amblin a few doors down from him.  And now I have this collection of posters.  All of it because of ET.

T

I showed her ET for the first time recently, so that was a nice bonding moment that we had. Since then, it is a common interest that we indulge in from time to time. So to answer your question, I think it is both.  ;)

That is great too, your story about ET starting this domino effect that you had in your life. Very cool.

Out of interest, what ET posters do you still need? Do you have the UFO advance yet? Haven't checked your site in some time...

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3285 on: October 19, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »

Stew

Obviously the Banksy correlation wasn't clear to me then. She responded to me after she knew I was talking about Alamo, so whatevs...

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3286 on: October 19, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »

Stew

Fan boy? What does that even mean?

Aren't we all nerds anyway? I mean we are spending our Saturday on a poster forum for effs sake...

I was mistaken,

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3287 on: October 19, 2013, 12:55:17 PM »
Fan boy? What does that even mean?

Aren't we all nerds anyway? I mean we are spending our Saturday on a poster forum for effs sake...
That's true Ben,we are..
Over the years of seeing you and others,posting on this thread.
I am changing my thoughts on this stuff,there are diamonds in there

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3288 on: October 19, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
That's true Ben,we are..
Over the years of seeing you and others,posting on this thread.
I am changing my thoughts on this stuff,there are diamonds in there

Its like anything else. Printed pieces of paper. Some things are better than others, nothing more, and each person has preferences.

I will buy anything I like and can afford...I don't care if it is a one sheet, six sheet, 24 sheet, Mondo print, B2, etc etc

I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3289 on: October 19, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »

Stew

That was exactly my take on Rosa's response, too, Stew. Good call.  thumbup

And it seems "the sprinter" once again was premature and unable to maintain for the long haul, right, Rosa?  laugh1

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #3290 on: October 19, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »
 :D  Indeed...

Crossed wires....wires crossed

moron1

eyeroll

:-\

:P

;)

:D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3291 on: October 19, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »
You know one, for sure, has had MUCH practice at "crossing wires."

It creates that extra speedy zap 'n tingle.

;D

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3292 on: October 19, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »
Out of interest, what ET posters do you still need? Do you have the UFO advance yet? Haven't checked your site in some time...

Yeah, the "lights in the sky" poster is probably one of the first ET posters I ever purchased.  For $35.  Rolled and in absolute mint condition.  At the last count, I have 50 ET posters.  I am only missing one.  And no, I won't tell you what it is.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3293 on: October 19, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »
Just read this. Funny as I saw a couple spending nearly £200 in Bansky prints at John Lewis (an UK store) and I thought the same. These are prints...not even close to the real thing.

I don't like prints. But I suppose I will have to buy one if I ever wanted to be able to enjoy the Mona Lisa at home. Likely the Louvre is just few hours away from home  :)

Banksy makes prints, but you won't get them in John Lewis for £200. Those are just knock offs of his work.

Mirosae

« Reply #3294 on: October 19, 2013, 06:12:02 PM »
Banksy makes prints, but you won't get them in John Lewis for £200. Those are just knock offs of his work.

Thanks Tob...still a rather expensive knock offs imo..

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3295 on: October 19, 2013, 07:42:54 PM »

Daybill or Double Grande  ;D
David

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3296 on: October 19, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »
Yeah, the "lights in the sky" poster is probably one of the first ET posters I ever purchased.  For $35.  Rolled and in absolute mint condition.  At the last count, I have 50 ET posters.  I am only missing one.  And no, I won't tell you what it is.

T

I see this as a challenge now...    ;)

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3297 on: October 26, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »
Not even a huge ALIEN fan, but I really really like this new Ortiz print. Will coincide with screenings...how it should be!
This conveys the horror of the film as well as the sci-fi.

What do you think, Thierry...I know you are an ALIEN freak...

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3298 on: October 26, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »
I don't like it, Ben, mainly because I don't understand it.  I'm not quite sure what it is I'm seeing.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3299 on: October 26, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
I don't like it, Ben, mainly because I don't understand it.  I'm not quite sure what it is I'm seeing.

T

Alien inside of helmet, eating a face.

I was mistaken,