Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1537163 times)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #3675 on: July 03, 2014, 11:46:38 AM »
I might be in the minority, but i have never gotten the appeal of this movie.  It doesn't really age well either IMO.  New Mondo artist James Flames has done some ok work with past gig posters and stuff. Has potential, but this one is a pass for me.  Let all the Goonies freaks have this one.

As I was posting this, it dropped. Looks like it sold out in 3 mins or so. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:49:41 AM by jpicken »

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3676 on: July 03, 2014, 11:56:09 AM »
HERETIC!!! ;)

I think it's one of those movies that if it hits you at the right time and you're into adventure, it stays with you forever. At least that's what happened for me.

Yep both versions sold out. On a side note, This Island Earth non-variant still available.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3677 on: July 03, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »
Something about it looks too cartoon-ish for me.

Mike, that is exactly the thought that crossed my mind when I first saw the poster, too... it's a bit too "cartoony" looking.

In looking at the standard print, I could almost think it was for an animated version of the story that had been made.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:48:18 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3678 on: July 03, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »
These The Goonies prints from James Flames are neat, IMO:

Standard

Variant

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:20:36 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3679 on: July 03, 2014, 01:41:21 PM »
Just got home for a shopping spree in Paris and completely forgot about the prints, which goes to say that I really didn't give a shit about them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3680 on: July 03, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »
I might be in the minority, but i have never gotten the appeal of this movie.  It doesn't really age well either IMO.  New Mondo artist James Flames has done some ok work with past gig posters and stuff. Has potential, but this one is a pass for me.  Let all the Goonies freaks have this one.

As I was posting this, it dropped. Looks like it sold out in 3 mins or so. 

You are not the only one.  I remember walking out of the theater thinking that it was OK, but barely worth the time, much like with Ghostbusters.

As for Ken Taylor, doing single artist shows floods the market for that particular artist and are simply not a good idea...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3681 on: July 03, 2014, 02:42:22 PM »
As for Ken Taylor, doing single artist shows floods the market for that particular artist and are simply not a good idea...

Generally agree here, especially with Taylor, but the Durieux show is the exception at this point. Outside of the Creature print, each piece was/is pretty unique and special, IMO.

Re: Goonies
One film that hasn't aged well at all, to be sure.
Poster is passable for fanatics of the film I guess (not me), but a credit block would have helped.

Wish there was new properties. After a 007 and Indy series, I can retire.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3682 on: July 26, 2014, 04:58:49 PM »
So far, I am really NOT impressed.  Not a single print I would purchase (which is kind of awesome since this is the first year in many I don't stop by SDCC.  I'm sanding and staining my deck instead).

But the weekend is STILL young.  I have the feeling something good is around the corner.

Hmm...

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3683 on: July 26, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »
Nothing so far that I need to pick up on the secondary market.  The toy idea is interesting, but those are not available yet anyway.

Hopefully they have something interesting still up their sleeves. 
This is just wishful thinking, but when is the FoTR Horkey gonna hit?
There is also a lot of Fight Club news at the ComicCon. I follow Chuck P. on twitter, and there is a lot of buzz from the FC2 comic stuff. Big panel tonight. Mondo has the Fight Club license. Would be a perfect time to drop a badass new print.
It's been a while since Tyler as done anything for them. Something new now would be cool, but it's also the 20th anniversary of Pulp Fiction in October.  Maybe then? 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3684 on: July 26, 2014, 09:18:09 PM »
I know I'm a minority, but I didn't get Fight Club at all.  It is the only Fincher movie I didn't like and I don't own a single poster for the movie.  It was interesting to see some of its posters sell for $300+ at Emovie.  I could have got them for free from Fox in 99 but never tried.  No regrets.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3685 on: July 27, 2014, 12:52:18 AM »
Those Fight Club Soap/Advance posters are somewhat rare for recent posters and hard to put together a set. 

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #3686 on: July 27, 2014, 01:38:12 AM »
Those Fight Club Soap/Advance posters are somewhat rare for recent posters and hard to put together a set. 

The Suncoast versions don't seem to be nearly as difficult as the real ones... :)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3687 on: July 27, 2014, 10:09:09 AM »
The Suncoast versions don't seem to be nearly as difficult as the real ones... :)

LOL. Suncoast. I used to love that store.  Just think of an entire store inside an expensive mall that only sells VHS and DVD movies.  When my mom would take me to the mall, I would beeline to Suncoast to see the new releases and browse through the horror and sci-fi titles. I wonder how often each day people would ask the clerks if they had any new information about when Star Wars was coming out on DVD?  Like beepers, film cameras and AOL, Suncoast did not survive the 90s.  :'(

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3688 on: July 27, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »
I know I'm a minority, but I didn't get Fight Club at all.  It is the only Fincher movie I didn't like and I don't own a single poster for the movie.  It was interesting to see some of its posters sell for $300+ at Emovie.  I could have got them for free from Fox in 99 but never tried.  No regrets.

I didn't want to see the movie, but my girlfriend at the time (another cocktail waitress, this one from the Tropicana) wanted to, which was unusual for me.
They always wanted to see the romantic comedies, rather than violent romances

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3689 on: July 27, 2014, 05:00:23 PM »
Tyler Stout checks in with Guardians of the Galaxy.  It's a by-the-numbers print for him(which isn't necessarily bad). This one is very busy.
However, I really need to see this movie to be interested in the poster.  I know very little about the movie other than the thought that a foul-mouthed raccoon has potential.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:00:42 PM by jpicken »

guest8

« Reply #3690 on: July 27, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
Pictures of Tylers work always look "too busy", it's only because you cannot focus on the different areas. The small details and hidden gems in his work is part of what makes them so good. :)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3691 on: July 27, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »
And just to know how talented Tyler is, one only needs to check Budish's work, an artist who has been trying to emulate Stout's style for years and doesn't even come close.  The placement of scenes and characters is key and Tyler is a master at it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3692 on: August 01, 2014, 12:10:49 PM »
New Stout this morning...

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3693 on: August 12, 2014, 07:19:32 PM »
Small world.  I went to DreamWorks today for lunch and Mondo was doing a Q&A.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3694 on: August 12, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »
Lucky bastard.
Last lunchtime Q&A I had was roadside with Johnny Law.

"Yes officer...No, officer..."

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3695 on: August 12, 2014, 10:51:02 PM »
So I went through all my prints (350+) and checked their average price on EB as of today.  I did the same thing in August last year.  I won't bother you with the actual cash value of the collection, but it turns out the value of all my prints has increased by 10% over a year period.  Not bad.  So Mondo is still relevant after all.

Biggest gainer: Tyler Stout.  
Runner up: Laurent Durieux.
Biggest loser: Martin Ansin.  The guy has drastically changed his style over the last few years, and the lack of quality of his recent stuff drags the price of his older and much better prints down.

T
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:53:23 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3696 on: August 13, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »
Cool pics, Thierry...if its ok, I'm gonna throw them on EB (and give you photo credit of course).

I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3697 on: August 13, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »
Cool pics, Thierry...if its ok, I'm gonna throw them on EB (and give you photo credit of course).

Sure, but no photo credit, please.  I don't care for EB.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3698 on: August 13, 2014, 10:28:18 PM »
Sure, but no photo credit, please.  I don't care for EB.

T

Thanks. No prob, understood.

I was mistaken,

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3699 on: August 14, 2014, 06:41:04 AM »
Nice photos T. Was it an interesting Q&A? Was it just a show and tell or was Justin trying to persuade you industry types to hand over more licensing rights?